Mens Tennis Forums banner

Better Indicator of Nole's mental strength?

• collapse

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • response

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way he blew the lead in the 4th set or how he responded in the 5th?

As an imperfect human, I found it amazing and inspiring how he could blow championship points, serving for it etc.. after what has happened in slam finals recently and then come back and play a decent, cool headed set of tennis after.

I find Djokovic mental frailty and insane fighting spirit a very interesting combination. Coupled that with the fact he has had bouts of being the most clutch player in tennis.

So what do you guys find more indicative? 4th set collapse or impressive response?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I think the mere fact that Djokovic acknowledged the mental barrier suggests he is more robust than many of the players on tour. But as to your question it's the fifth easily. He's been mentally tougher than people give him credit for recently anyway.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
The way he responded.

In the previous Slam losses, he completely gave up against Nadal and Murray.
This time, he was able to keep his cool.
Don't forget that he was playing against the crowd's favorite.

He choked, defeated his demons, and won.

It's the perfect way to win.

·
Banned
29 Posts
He's a mental midget and always will be. Nothing compared to Nadal.

When Nadal played Dj at Roland Garros 2013, Nadal's forehand down the line went to a very personal place- that little hole in Dj's heart left by the passing of his coach, Jelena Gencic. He kept chipping away at it until the 16th game of the final set. As a result, Dj has forever become Nadal's whipping boy in slams, and will never, EVER beat Nadal in a slam again.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way he responded.

In the previous Slam losses, he completely gave up against Nadal and Murray.
This time, he was able to keep his cool.
Don't forget that he was playing against the crowd's favorite.

He choked, defeated his demons, and won.

It's the perfect way to win.
I agree, the way he cleared his head and played solid tennis was something I will never forget.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think the collapse is more indicative. We all saw if he plays his best tennis Federer is just too old and slow to respond properly. The fact there was 5th set just shows he's a bad choker. He managed to win after all because of his opponent inability to push him hard and just by physically outplaying Federer.

That's my opinion and how I see the situation. If such choke appears versus Nadal in example it would have a bad ending for Nole.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts

When Nadal played Dj at Roland Garros 2013, Nadal's forehand down the line went to a very personal place- that little hole in Dj's heart left by the passing of his coach, Jelena Gencic. He kept chipping away at it until the 16th game of the final set. As a result, Dj has forever become Nadal's whipping boy in slams, and will never, EVER beat Nadal in a slam again.
Another Nadalbrokenrecord account.Mods :worship::worship::worship:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I think the collapse is more indicative. We all saw if he plays his best tennis Federer is just too old and slow to respond properly. The fact there was 5th set just shows he's a bad choker. He managed to win after all because of his opponent inability to push him hard and just by physically outplaying Federer.

That's my opinion and how I see the situation. If such choke appears versus Nadal in example it would have a bad ending for Nole.
He already did that with Nadal and he still won the match in the end.
He was up 2 sets to 1 and up 5-3 in the tie break with still one serve available, he ended up choking the tie break (3 unforced errors).
Then he was down 2-4 15-30 in the final set....and he won in the end.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me his only true choke was USOPEN2013, the other slam finals and semi finals, he was beaten by a better player and in 2013 it was Nadal who should have wrapped it up in 4 max. However had he lost Wimbledon, it would have been devastating and the choker narrative would have been pretty damm hard to argue with.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

:rolleyes: :haha: :drink:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
He already did that with Nadal and he still won the match in the end.
He was up 2 sets to 1 and up 5-3 in the tie break with still one serve available, he ended up choking the tie break (3 unforced errors).
Then he was down 2-4 15-30 in the final set....and he won in the end.
that's one match against Nadal. the overwhelming majority he doesn't do that (at slams). one victory against old Federer at Wimbledon is hardly proof of a change. give it a few more slams. he might be stronger mentally again but you guys are so fucking black and white, could it be possible he is just in the middle? just ordinary mentally- not amazing not the worst

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
that's one match against Nadal. the overwhelming majority he doesn't do that (at slams). one victory against old Federer at Wimbledon is hardly proof of a change. give it a few more slams. he might be stronger mentally again but you guys are so fucking black and white, could it be possible he is just in the middle? just ordinary mentally- not amazing not the worst
You should really stop posting your shit in every Djokovic thread.I know it sucks Djoker owned Dull for 7 straight finals but get over it Dullgirl

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Fourth set choke is indicative of Novak, now, in the past and for the foreseeable future.
Roger gifted the fifth set with that horrendous OH smash at 15-15 on Novak's serve . He could never overcome that and folded away in his next service game.

If at all, the Wim 2014 final establishes that , whether you are a mug or not, or whether you are choke or not, it does not matter if you are lucky to have a bigger mug and a bigger choke on the other side.

Novak was lucky that he had a fading "has been" on the other side of the net.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
In the 4th set while he was leading, Djokovic was more concerned with not losing the match instead of trying to win the match. That passive and cautious mentality when ahead was one of the reasons the match went to 5 sets.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Did anybody ask you anything about Rafito, clown :silly:? No, I don't think so. And no, Djokovic is nothing compared to Piggy. He is that much better. Now, go back to Rafa's ass and sniff some more. Sheesh. Just go away.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
I'm still ashamed of Midgetovic's slam finals against Dull and Mugray. Completely gave it away in 4th set of USO 2013, last game of RG 2013, last set of USO 2012

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad he stuck around in the fifth and didn't throw in the towel because Federer gave him that set. I'm sorry, but I still can't believe that happened. Funny how Novak basically thanked Fed for giving it to him in the 5th. :lol:

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I'm still ashamed of Midgetovic's slam finals against Dull and Mugray. Completely gave it away in 4th set of USO 2013, last game of RG 2013, last set of USO 2012
We like to say "gifted." Sounds more noble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts