Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which top rivalry produced the most boring matches in tennis?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people complained that the Federer/Nadal rivalry, because of a bad matchup for Federer, produced bad matches, where Nadal would continuously attack the Federer backhand until it would break.

Then, other people claim that the best prescription for insomnia is watching Djokovic and Murray beat a tennis ball back and forth until the cows come home.

Have these, or any other rivalries, produced matches you found to be a complete waste of time?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Despite Nadal's domination, the Federer-Nadal rivalry produced some scintillating tennis. For sheer quality you'd be hard pressed to find too many matches in the last two-three decades that come close to AO 09 F, W08 F, W07 F, RG 07 /06F, Rome 06 F.....

Murray-Djokovic matches are just plain boring with ping pong tennis. Out of the high profile rivalries it is the worst by far. Mugs like Raonic and Ferrer with most people = boring match too.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Despite Nadal's domination, the Federer-Nadal rivalry produced some scintillating tennis. For sheer quality you'd be hard pressed to find too many matches in the last two-three decades that come close to AO 09 F, W08 F, W07 F, RG 07 /06F, Rome 06 F.....

Murray-Djokovic matches are just plain boring with ping pong tennis. Out of the high profile rivalries it is the worst by far. Mugs like Raonic and Ferrer with most people = boring match too.
Do you think this is because both are pushers (although quite good at it)?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Yes. Andy's biggest problem vs Djokovic is that he is too passive. As soon as he starts being aggressive Djokovic loses it and starts spraying shots. Their styles are too similar for their matches to be interesting. Murray is basically Djokovic lite.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Pushers is a bit strong but pretty much. They kind of bring out the worst in eachother, mostly because the other guy doesn't push them in a way that makes them come up with incredible shots.

If they play against Federer for instance, he makes them run, hit passing or defensive shots, forces them to change it up because he changes it up himself. Murray and Djokovic by nature are less inclined to do that kind of stuff whilst playing eachother.

I actually thought their Australian Open match was kind of interesting this year, but that may have been because of the drama rather than the tennis.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pushers is a bit strong but pretty much. They kind of bring out the worst in eachother, mostly because the other guy doesn't push them in a way that makes them come up with incredible shots.

If they play against Federer for instance, he makes them run, hit passing or defensive shots, forces them to change it up because he changes it up himself. Murray and Djokovic by nature are less inclined to do that kind of stuff whilst playing eachother.

I actually thought their Australian Open match was kind of interesting this year, but that may have been because of the drama rather than the tennis.
I wonder if the fact that they have played and trained a lot with each other since they were young has also something to do with it.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Far and away Djokovic - Murray.

Some Murraytards in defense try to salvage the honor and call the matches interesting like chess.

Ummm... No.
If I want to watch chess, I would go and watch real chess. Tennis is not chess.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,599 Posts
Ferrer-Murray (grind away)
Djokovic-Murray (grind away with pretty NID result)
Raonic-Isner (get us the TB already) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
The thing about Murray and Djokovic is they are comfortable hitting backhands all day long. Whereas Nadal and Federer run around their whenever they get a chance, they favour their forehand heavily over their backhand.

Running around backhand creates a bigger risk/reward scenario, it also heavily influences the tactics involved in the rest of the game.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Nadull- Pushray

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Of the two listed, Djokovic-Murray. However, out of the other 'top' rivalries, I find Murray-Ferrer to be boring at times.

I also feel like Raonic-Federer is, while not as dull as the other two, still not a match that gets me excited.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Far and away Djokovic - Murray.

Some Murraytards in defense try to salvage the honor and call the matches interesting like chess.

Ummm... No.
If I want to watch chess, I would go and watch real chess. Tennis is not chess.
Watching chess is pretty fun, I gotta say.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Federer - Nadal has produced some awfully predictable matches, Federer's inability to overcome that mental block, the serve breaking down for no obvious reason, the sets where he was up a break and then lost 5-7, the forehand returns on second serves into the net... I know it all by heart.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts