Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the Big 4 retire, what rivalries do you see?

The current "younger" players, who can play at a high level are Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic, Janowicz, Gulbis.

Almost all of these players,with the exception of Raonic, have at least reached the QF of a slam, with only Jerzy reaching a SF at W.(but he had the easiest draw ever in the last decade). Nishikori did it at AO in 2012, Dimi at AO in 2014, Gulbis at the FO in 2008.

What rivalries do you see in the future and will they get on par with Fed-Nole or Rafa-Nole?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Gulbis is going to be 26 this summer, you know that, right?

Having said that, he and Grigor are developing a bit of a rivalry already. Always looking forward to their matches.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gulbis is going to be 26 this summer, you know that, right?

Having said that, he and Grigor are developing a bit of a rivalry already. Always looking forward to their matches.
As far as i can tell, i think Gulbis will always get the better of Dimitrov, winning most of their matches.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Dimi would have a hard time beating Gulbis and Nishikori. These 2 always seem to beat him more often than the other way around

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Agree about Nishikori, that's a terrible match-up for him because Nishikori is really hard to hit through and loves to break down Grigor's backhand.

With Gulbis it's much tighter than that and I can see Grigor eventually overcoming his current 1-2 deficit and leading that one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree about Nishikori, that's a terrible match-up for him because Nishikori is really hard to hit through and loves to break down Grigor's backhand.

With Gulbis it's much tighter than that and I can see Grigor eventually overcoming his current 1-2 deficit and leading that one.
Well Gulbis and Nishikori have both beaten him in big events. Masters 1000 in particular

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Gulbis and Dimitrov to have a one sided rivalry. Considering that Dimitrov just about beat exhausted Gulbis at Acapulco it is not looking good for him in this match-up.

I can also see Nishikori and Raonic having a rivlary in the future, with Kei naturally winning the majority of the matches.

·
Registered
95 Posts

^This. I am absolutely certain in the long run Dimitrov will have a positive H2H against Gulbis. The Nishikori rivalry will be much more interesting (Nishikori plays devilishly smart against the weaknesses of his opponent - he will always be a difficult match-up).

But I don't think these will never go near the dramatic intensity, hype and longevity of the Big 4 rivalries.

It would be interesting to see what happens when Thiem gets up to speed - he seems like one who could bring quality and consistency to his game, which are the two essential ingredients for forming a rivalry.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Nishikori isn't a bad matchut at all for Dimitrov, as long as Grigor doesn't return so badly as he did in Miami. He went 2 sets without breaking Nishikori's serve and lost 7-6, 7-5. :help:

As for Gulbis, it's pretty even on harcourts, as their three tough matches this year appointed. But I guess Dimitrov has the edge in both clay and grass.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I think Dimi would have a hard time beating Gulbis and Nishikori. These 2 always seem to beat him more often than the other way around
yeah, well the Roman Empire used to rule half the World and they've probably expected it to last forever, but things change you know.

If we're here to analyze the past it's very easy - post a sheet with the H2Hs and close the thread.

If you have arguments about why such an assumption is conceivable for their future encounters, then state them.

Djokovic used to get owned by Nadal....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see how your post is responding to what I said. Are you being daft on purpose?
I meant that Gulbis and nishikori will most of the time get the better of him in big tournies. and that won't change untill Dimi beats at least one of them in a Masters(or why not? slam)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gulbis and Dimitrov to have a one sided rivalry. Considering that Dimitrov just about beat exhausted Gulbis at Acapulco it is not looking good for him in this match-up.

I can also see Nishikori and Raonic having a rivlary in the future, with Kei naturally winning the majority of the matches.
Disagree. I think Dimitrov has what it takes to beat Gulbis even without factoring the age difference. And when you do, it seems inevitable (bar unfortunate injuries) for a Dimitrov in his prime to meet a Gulbis in decline.

Nishikori, on the other hand, I can see coming on top in the H2H with Dimitrov, though they will probably be close and interesting matches.

Raonic will naturally play a lot against them, because he is good at consistently beating lower opponents and reaching R16s and QFs (as he does now) but will probably lose the majority of his matches against top players (as he does now). Not a very intriguing rival, in my oppinion. At best I see him as the Ferrer of tomorrow (regarding rivalry status, not the wildly differing style).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nishikori isn't a bad matchut at all for Dimitrov, as long as Grigor doesn't return so badly as he did in Miami. He went 2 sets without breaking Nishikori's serve and lost 7-6, 7-5. :help:
You think? I agree in-form Dimitrov will beat Nishikori, but Kei can bring consistency and tactical acumen that could decide a career H2H. Plus, his serve has and is improving. That said, I think Dimitrov has a greater chance of winning a GS, for example. But I feel Nishikori will always be a difficult opponent.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Disagree. I think Dimitrov has what it takes to beat Gulbis even without factoring the age difference. And when you do, it seems inevitable (bar unfortunate injuries) for a Dimitrov in his prime to meet a Gulbis in decline.

Nishikori, on the other hand, I can see coming on top in the H2H with Dimitrov, though they will probably be close and interesting matches.

Raonic will naturally play a lot against them, because he consistently gets easy draws, but will probably lose the majority of his matches against top players (as he does now). Not a very intriguing rival, in my oppinion. At best I see him as the Ferrer of tomorrow (regarding rivalry status, not the wildly differing style).
Fixed :yeah:.

It is an absolute joke that Raonic is currently ranked higher than Nishikori and Dimitrov...:facepalm:

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
You think? I agree in-form Dimitrov will beat Nishikori, but Kei can bring consistency and tactical acumen that could decide a career H2H. Plus, his serve has and is improving. That said, I think Dimitrov has a greater chance of winning a GS, for example. But I feel Nishikori will always be a difficult opponent.
:yeah:

I agree. But it's different to say "the matchup favours Nishikori" or "Nishikori is a difficult opponent".

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Fixed :yeah:.

It is an absolute joke that Raonic is currently ranked higher than Nishikori and Dimitrov...:facepalm:
Nah, it's about right. His game is obviously more limited, but he plays way more consistently. Nishikori and Dimitrov played great in some tournaments, but put in terrible shockers in others for one reason or another. Look at the USO for instance, both lost 1st round to the likes of Evans and Sousa. If they can play well more consistently odds are they will indeed pass Raonic in the rankings and in the tennis pecking order, but for now they can't really complain.

On topic, Nishikori vs Dimitrov would be an interesting one, they have altogether different strengths and weaknesses. I thought their match in Miami was excellent.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts