Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The name of the topic was going to be "What players did you see coming", but I imagined some idiot would change the context.

Anyway. Roger Federer (no, I didn't see him coming) is one guy that a lot of people expected to do good and when he was 21 he started to rock.

So the topic is about, which players did you see as a potential great player when they were still no t consistent (like Del Pony for example), and they eventually became a great player followed by everyone, and not by you.

I hope I was clear :)

I didn't see anyone coming haha, started watching tennis around 97, only in RG finals (when Guga was there). I didn't even see his prime :(. Then, in 2005, I think around the US Open (I'm actually not sure if I watched Fed - Agassi or not) I started follow religiously. Since 2006 I'm sick addicted, follow every mm tourney, but still didn't "bet" on a potential star.

What about you?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I always thought Söderling will become a great player. Once I saw the ATP Tennis Magazine and they were asking several players: "Who do you think will break through next season?" All the players went like: "Monfils." And I was going crazy watching the telly and shouting: "No, you morons, Söderling!" The other player I followed since he was young is Gasquet. I remember him when he was quite new on the circuit and I was watching him playing and thought: "That's not tennis, that's ballet!"

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
I started watching Rafa when he was young, but the hype was already starting.

Also started watching Nico M when he was in his early twenties before he started to win bigger matches. He only had his brief moment of glory with the Madrid final and the Olympic golds, and has moved back down, but it was been fun watching a player move up the ladder.

I also followed Pico before he was known, but don't follow him as close as I should - don't know why, I really like his game.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The first time I saw Djokovic was on TV in the 2005 Australian open 1st round, though I didn't follow tennis back then as much as I do now. I remembered that name, just to see where he would be in a year or two. I recognized his name somewhere around the 14 rank and remembered about him from back in 2005.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Good thread, though the title is a tad misleading.

First time I saw Youzhny play as a teenager I knew he'd become a solid top-20 player. Was obvious he was a good all-round player, just needed to beef the serve up a bit and he'd be there.

Other more obvious ones are Tsonga, Nadal and Murray. Though these were all hyped plenty anyway, so wasn't really a shock.

Erm, it's stupid o'clock here, I'll have to think about it a bit more tomorrow.

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
Jo Wilfried-Tsonga, Marcos Baghdatis, Ryan Sweeting, Donald Young, Marin Cilic, Juan Martín del Potro, Mischa Zverev, Fabio Fognini, Jeremy Chardy, Robin Haase, Thiemo de Bakker, Santiago Giraldo, Ernest Gulbis, Kei Nishikori and probably some more..

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Nadal since Madrid 2003, he looked like a little kid playing against Corretja.

Verdasco since Cincy 2003, he qualified there when he was still a teenager.

Roddick since Cincy 2001, I think he was all of 18 or so but knew he had the game to rise to the top.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My dad is good at calling players:
He called Federer in 2000
He called Djokovic in 2005
Two GOATS :worships:
My dad called the fall of a lot of players too

Players my dad completely missed:
There were several players but I most remember Roddick. My mom and I liked Roddick when he first came out. But my dad, when he first saw him in 2001, said "This guy will never do anything in his career". So he missed that one. He thought Fish would have a better career than Roddick :haha: .

·
F***ing have it
17,660 Posts
Young :p

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
The only one I've really followed is Rafa. I was a fan of his when he was ranked about 50, I saw him play at the 2005 Aus Open. Dunno if that qualifies as young, but at least he was much lower ranked than he is now

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
most dutch players like haase, who I cheered for in his first futures on tour

Nadal, Gasquet, Djokovic but guess those guys weren't hard to pick. also berdych

gulbis, andujar, giraldo, bubka, chardy, fognini

·
Registered
992 Posts
I watched Novak since he was 15, he played on the Partizan club court in Belgrade. He was very slim but with a powerfull shots.

Also I watched Rafa on Belgrade Gemax chalenger 2004, he lost in a final...

·
Registered
27,319 Posts
Only Haas and Safin closely.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I used to think Federer would have a Malisse-type career. The odd flash of brilliance but mostly failing to deliver. He looked good before 2003, but if anyone had told me he'd win 12 slams by 2008 I'd have thought they were on some seriously good drugs.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Djokovic since 2005, I knew he would end up acheiving a few things, shame I didn't see him turning into an utter prick.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I thought djokovic would be a top20 player but never put it together I just though he was a banger from behind the court and his net skills where atrocious when I saw him play... I think I was off...

Murray,Nadal,Tsonga, Baghdatis, Nalbandian, del potro... though becker is not young I saw him playing a challenger shortly after he was out of college and said he would be a top 100 player, same with isner saw him play like 3 years ago, I knew he would be good(because of his massive serve).
btw, I think Polansky will be good, top100... I saw cuevas play a futures on tv and thought he was top100 material, he is there now.
These are just players I saw there are others I see moving up the rankings and playing good in tournaments that I think will be good but have never seen them play...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts