Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, that's strictly a tennis question, as far as I'm concerned. As in, who would perform better, or more consistently. Daja Bedanova comes to mind, as an example. She's not just slender. She basically no muscle to absorb any of the shock from the force players hit with today. Her joints have to absorb all the impact of the other players shot too. And she goes to net alot, which is much more wear and tear on the legs in general.

The other player who comes to mind is Kim Clijsters. Put the current inconsistent play aside. Look at how far kim pulls back her racket before she swings. It's an extreme preparation. Again, a lot of strain on the shoulders and upper back. Go out and play a couple games that way. Your shoulders will talk to you. If she's going to swing that way, I think some more muslce in the shoulders and upper back would at least lessen the chance of injury. And given the way she swings, the increased mass shouldn't be a problem.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hingis:fiery::rolleyes: Another person, is Daniela Hantuchova. She odsen't necessarily need bigger muscles, but she's needs to bulk up and gain SOME weight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Justine?

Bedanova for sure and Martina for the serve more than anything!

·
Registered
109 Posts
hingis and henin, probably not so much. i think that volcana's suggestion is more like, who plays that way and doesn't have the goods to do it (correct me if im wrong). the two of them are not "power players," so to speak.

hantuchova and shaughnessy are two good candidates for necessity of increased muscle mass.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justine is a very small person. For her frame, she's pretty solidly built. And with a player who uses as much finesse as she does, adding muscle is something you shouldn't do to fast. The new muscle tissue has to be coordinated with fine motor skills.

Someone like Jelena or Monica or Lindsay could add it faster, cause hitting big is more of a gross mototr skill, and more easily learned. If Hantuchova is going to make a living from the baseline, then yeah, she ought to put five or ten pounds of muscle on her shoulders and arms. If she going to be an all court player, maybe that's a premature decision.

Amelie used to hit big. She used to have big muscle. She's much more an all court player now, and her msucles are a lot smaller. Bg muscles don't hel your volleys much. Dani has to decide how she's going to play.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Monica for sure. Her skeletal structure is very solid, and could easily use more muscle mass. More muscle burns extra calories which makes it easier to keep the fat off, and a muscular upper body like Serena's is a huge advantage for hitting balls that stretch you wide. Instead of blocking the ball you can hit solid pace using only your shoulders, arms, and wrists.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i dont think that monica needs the extra mass. i do think, however, that she needs to get fit. its not the power that she needs, its the staying in shape that she has to have.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Muscles dont necessarily have to slow someone down, Venus and Serena have muscles and they're two of the fastest players on tour. I think Martina should bulk up or at least add some power to her serve. I dont think Kim needs to coz she has enough power already. I think Hantuchova should and also Dementieva.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think Monica could add some lean muscle mass and hit the heavy weights room like Capriati did. I mean if Monica was 20% stronger in her upper body and legs - I really think it would improve her chances against the Williams.

Daniela just needs to put some weight on full-stop because although she hits the ball a ton, she doesn't seem able to absorb heavy blows.

Daja - yes.

hantuchova and shaughnessy are two good candidates for necessity of increased muscle mass.
Are you kidding!! Meghann is solid muscle and looks very strong!

I hope Mary is in the gym at this moment.

In general I would say that all the women need to be a lot stronger physically. Really go for the heavy weights. That is the only chance they will have of edging part of the gap between themselves and the Williams.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts