Mens Tennis Forums banner

What opponent does team Djokovic prefer for the final?

• He prefers Zverev: The German has not played a slam final before, and might be overwhelmed.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Zverev: Thiem has played really well and is brimming with confidence after defeating Nadal.

• Zverev: Not very long ago (ATP final 2019), Djokovic was defeated by Thiem on a hardcourt.

• Zverev: The German's strength has been the serving, and that is something Djokovic can handle

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Zverev: Thiem's power from the backcourt might really trouble him

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • He prefers Thiem: The audience would support the German because of the bushrelief donations.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Thiem: Zverev has had an easier route to the semi and might play his best match in the final.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Thiem: The Austrian has lost his previous slam finals and his higher experience won't help him.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Thiem: Zverev's slam curse has been lifted and he might show the world it's his fu*king time.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Thiem: The last match against Zverev on a harcourt (ATP final 2018) the German won convincingly.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • What has the OP been smoking - Nole don't care and will show who is the king of AO no matter what.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Ban OP: Everyone knows Nole would have preferred Nadal - the rest is not an issue.

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some options are given in the poll, but other answers are certainly possible, and I think the question is worthy of some discussion. Please give input.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Great effort in making that poll OP, well done. Also for allowing multiple options, because that is exactly what I think about this - there are reasons I'd prefer Zverev and reasons I'd prefer Thiem. Novak didn't have a good time against any of them in his last HC match. I think Zverev is a more preferable option, given it would be his maiden slam final, if he is to make it, whereas Dominic had already lost two, just being there is not a new experience, he wants the title and he knows how to do it.

Bottom line, I am very glad this is not a choice, but it will be decided in a battle starting in just under 2hr. Can't wait.

·
justice for all
17,547 Posts
Last option of course. Well done, OP.

EDIT: He probably doesn't care but he'd welcome a 6-hour battle between the two in a scorching heat.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
High quality poll - other MTFers should take notes. I picked the option "Thiem: Zverev's slam curse has been lifted and he might show the world it's his fu*king time.". The guy who's been able to show a great level several times to claim titles and beat the Big 3, kept failing and failing at slams to mugs. And now he's easily sweeping everyone, even Wawrinka, a 3-time slam winner - whereas before I wouldn't trust him to get past Gerasimov. And then the promise of donating the money for the fires if he wins - it's so surreal, almost as if the destiny itself propelled Zverev. Of course, Borovic could come in and ruin everything anyway.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Last option of course. Well done, OP.

EDIT: He probably doesn't care but he'd welcome a 6-hour battle between the two in a scorching heat.
Yeah, last option seems better than Thiem or Zverev :p
No heat on Sunday though. Colder airmass will advect from south-west - 24°C max. And barely 16°C on Monday - these temperature variations in Melbourne are impressive.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen so many options in a poll. I'm dizzy just looking at the list. And yes, Djoker would have liked the last option. I still can't believe Nadal has lost something like 19 sets in a row to Djoker on hardcourts. That is a ridiculous statistic.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Went with Zverev because of Thiem's weapons. Thiem is similar to Wawrinka in the sense that when he is completely on he can pretty much take the racket out of your hands.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yeah, last option seems better than Thiem or Zverev :p
No heat on Sunday though. Colder airmass will advect from south-west - 24°C max. And barely 16°C on Monday - these temperature variations in Melbourne are impressive.
Just watched the weather prognosis... That's insane from 41 dg to 16 dg... In a few days...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Great OP, Becker just said that zverev can beat Djokovic and Thiem being more dangerous player. Not sure about that. Thiem is way stronger physically.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Thiem is technically more dangerous when he´s on but Zverev is slightly stronger mentally if we don´t differentiate between slam and not slam. It really depends on the day, I have no clear favorite but I think a win for Thiem would be better for tennis and for Thiem himself while Zverev would probably underperform the rest of the year

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Guess he would have preferred Nadal, but of these two think he would prefer Zverev.

Both have realistic chances of beating him imo.

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
I prefer 5 grueling sets and ghostly mentally exhausted Dominic as in the RG'19 final

1 - 14 of 14 Posts