Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Federer being the guy with more Grand Slam titles or weeks at #1 than anyone else seems a highly unlikely outcome of the Big 3 era.

Most Australian Open titles, most hard court Major titles, most seasons at #1, most Masters 1000 titles don't look possible as well.

A bit of a chance to have:

• most US Open titles (tied with Sampras and Connors, +1 against Nadal and +2 against Djokovic as of now)
  • most Year-End Championship titles (+1 against Djokovic)

A very good chance of:

- remaining the one with most Wimbledon titles (+3 against Djokovic). However, if Djokovic adds 1 or 2 more titles to his resume, I won't be surprised to see many people calling him Wimbledon GOAT, given the 3-0 h2h and the 40-15 thing in his rivalry against Federer in finals.

99.9% of probability to have most consecutive weeks at #1. Looks like something to be in Federer's hands for years.

All other records, such as most titles won, most matches won, etc are not important in the GOAT talk, I think, since it's based on meaningless mickey mouse tournaments where history has never been supposed to be made.

What do you think?

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
older everything

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fed's going to lose a lot of his big stand alone records, no doubt about it.

Most consecutive weeks at no.1 is probably safe though, likewise his eight Wimbledon titles, he stands alone as 5 times winner of the US Open consecutively albeit tied with Sampras and Connors overall, most Slam matches won iirc, which is cool.

Commentators/tv broadcasts mention Connors 109 Open Era titles a lot in matches, so if RF can pass that, it's an achievement.

If Fed wins another Slam, he'll be oldest winner so there's that one to aim for.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
All the important ones are gone. I guess he'll have only that SF streak and consecutive streaks at weekly #1? Not much there. Yea Wimbledon titles I guess. But not sure how much water that holds when Djoker/Nadal end up with much more at their "pet slams"

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
13 Edberg Sportsmanship Award and counting outshines Rafa's 13 RG.
17 ATPTour.com Fans' Favorite award and counting, as the most unbreakable record for the entire sports history.

That fact that a whiny player like Fed that never gives Djokovic is "just due" has even one sportsmanship award or cries when he loses is ludricrous on so many levels

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not already mentioned above:
  • 10 consecutive GS Finals
  • 36 consecutive GS Quarterfinals
  • Oldest #1: 36.9 years old
  • Time between first/last #1 ranking: 14.4 years
  • 100+ match wins at GS events: 2 (AO, W)

·
Premium Member
7,211 Posts
He will have no important records to his name. What is even more crazy is that all his records will have been broken while he was still playing. So he lead the race for 95% of the time but will finish 3rd. That has to sting.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
He wont have any record based on total numbers... But the streaks will remind for awhile... Consecutive Slam Finals, SF, QF consecutive Weeks, Consecutive slams played, no retirements in about 1500 matches

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The only player to have more crowd support in the home country of his opponent. Because tennis fans know what they want. GOAT.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Consecutive weeks at no.1, possibly YEC, most Wimbledons, at least 5 of 3 different slams, consecutive slam SFs. May be more that I didn’t list.

·
Super Moderator
9,376 Posts
What no important records doesn’t he have? Record champion at Wimbledon with eight titles, countless records after all.

He is still leading the Slam race with 20 Slams together with Nadal. Sometimes you got the feeling he barely won more than 14 Slams.

If by only important records Slam and #1 are meant then well yeah, maybe gone or maybe he recaptures them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
All records are meant to be broken. Federer's brand of tennis will be appreciated for ages, adored by most as
artistry

·
Registered
266 Posts
He is still leading the Slam race with 20 Slams together with Nadal. Sometimes you got the feeling he barely won more than 14 Slams.
I agree. It's mind-blowing how things has changed since after the Australian Open 2018. Back then in March he was leading the slam race by 4 ahead of Nadal and by 8 ahead of Nole. He was the world No. 1 and there were serious reasons to think that Djokovic was done. Now he is almost overlooked by many in the GOAT debate as people are certain he is done winning slams and that Nadal is bound to break his slam record and Djokovic his weeks at No. 1 record. Most seem to think in the future it will be between Nole and Nadal who is the GOAT. However, Federer will always have an argument against Nadal due to his undisputable superiority everywhere outside of clay. To me it is a very strong argument. All-surface mastery is what you would expect from the GOAT.

Reactions: Break point Dom.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts