Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a huge moment for Rafael Nadal. He has been chasing Roger Federer in slams since pretty much the start of his career. Finally, he caught him and he did it in such an amazing style annihilating his biggest rival on clay in the final in worst conditions possible with the roof closed, cool weather without dropping a set throughout the whole tournament. It has to go down as one of his best Roland Garros performances ever and all this at the age of 34! Huge respect for Rafa from a Nole supporter. That was a breathtaking performance.

After what happened today I cannot stop wondering what next for Rafa. He looks far from done and the manner in which he won it will surely be a tremendous confidence boost. So, where will he go from now? Obviously he will be the massive favorite to win Roland Garros next year. How about other slams? Will he win a slam outside of clay? Can he go back to World No. 1 spot? Or maybe he will even win WTF this year to add this missing title to his collection? What future has in hold for the Clay Beast folks?

·
justice for all
18,109 Posts
Theoretically this year might be his best chance to win ATP Finals - because he didn't play as much as he usually did due to the pandemic.
On the other hand he is 34 and needs to choose wisely. Not sure if giving it all for the ATP Finals title is the best choice. I'd say he should rather rest and come back fresh for the Australian Open. But little do I know.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
rest for the finals and try one more time to win them for a change, i guess. AO is still a far cry as of now.

·
24,466 Posts
Paris and YEC, his best chance to win it ever in his career
Will be interesting to see how fresher Nadal does in the European Indoor Season -- if his overplaying early on in the season is the reason for his poor late season record, surely this could be his best chance to scoop those 2 titles, especially without Fed, although I wonder what his matchup with a fresher Medvedev would be.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think his best chance outside of FO is the USO. He can be successful at both the AO and WB but they are not on his racquet. Unless Novak is out, nobody is going to win AO. WB as well, with Roger being the co-favourite with Novak. USO is his best shot outside FO if he doesn't have too many gruelling matches in the earlier rounds.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Judging by Nadal's performance after long break in 2010, 2013, 2017, and this year,
I will say a few months break will do wonder for him, especially at his age now.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
What's next?

How about winning a YEC title...???.. Just one maybe.

That ol' chestnut aint going to go away.He needs to bag one and with Federer out of it this year and further improves his chances.

Now or never this year IMO.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This season Paris to start the prepare for the indoor season (like Rome this year) and give everything at the WTF. If it doesn't work out, no problem. Even if he loses against Djokovic there it's not a problem.

Then rest and go to Australia.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts