Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Problem for Tstsipas is I think he can only win RG without some really good draw luck. Zverev should be extremely motivated to win slams and go for #1 and push Medvedev and Djokovic. Healthy Thiem can still be as good as any of them so he should also be very motivated, especially considering how fit he normally is and Djokovic potentially starting to crack a bit.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
If he makes a concerted effort to shore up a few of his weaknesses, could see Tsitsi raising the next FO title.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
why? Medvedev is the best on Hardcourt and there are two slams that are perfect for him. Everyone knows Tsitsipas struggles with his ROS and backhand on the Hardcourts, grass is out of the question, and he put up better performances than Medvedev did in AO 2021. Zverev I won’t even discuss because for me, he hasn’t showed once thar he’s even ready to win a slam, maybe if he can manage to beat a top 10 player at some point. He should’ve won that match against Novak, I think tsitsipas would’ve. Cant say for sure of course, just my opinion. And in regards to Tsitsipas and the RG final, he had to get through 2 top 10 players just to get to the final where he’s met by a motivated and basically not nervous Novak. I’m not sure how there is any comparison to it if I’m honest, but hey, maybe I’m biased and tsitsipas doesn’t have what it takes to win a slam, let’s see what happens. Let’s see if he can have a nice draw which is basically a walkover to the final and then get a subpar and nervous out of his mind novak.
Yeah, I'm not a Tsitsipas fan, but I hope Med's win motivates him to win a slam.

I think he has a deeper understanding of what needs to be done and how to do it. Most of his contemporaries have only a superficial idea, hence their minds tend to go blank when the plan isn't working. Medvedev's doesn't. However, that may be his curse just as much as it is his blessing. He's a good frontrunner, but often he seems to struggle to rationalize and justify fighting against odds when he's trailing behind. Opposite to Tsitsipas e.g. whose heart is in every single point. Let's see if winning the first major will make a difference.
Maybe that's he's got from previous experience.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Honestly, I think if you swapped Med with Z or maybe even Matteo in the draw, you probably would would have had the same result, but with one of those guys winning their first major. I think the cumulative effects of the fatigue and CYGS pressure made him very vulnerable in the final. Especially Z, had he not faltered early in the second could have also beaten Djoker in 3-4 sets, especially if he had a tough semi with Med.
I don’t think Berretini can win a slam apart from Wimbledon. His game is too incomplete in this era, he has improved his backhand and you can tell he is trying, but I don’t think it’s good enough. Zverev, I completely agree.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Problem for Tstsipas is I think he can only win RG without some really good draw luck. Zverev should be extremely motivated to win slams and go for #1 and push Medvedev and Djokovic. Healthy Thiem can still be as good as any of them so he should also be very motivated, especially considering how fit he normally is and Djokovic potentially starting to crack a bit.
He’s been in the semis of AO twice? first time he had to play Nadal in his first semi final and the 2nd time he had to play Medvedev who was by far the best player of AO2021 (he should’ve won but didn’t show up at all in the final) after taking Rafa out from 0-2. He didn’t have the legs but he’s making improvements. He hasn’t mentally been there since Tokyo. Hopefully a bit of a break can reset him.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
He’s been in the semis of AO twice? first time he had to play Nadal in his first semi final and the 2nd time he had to play Medvedev who was by far the best player of AO2021 (he should’ve won but didn’t show up at all in the final) after taking Rafa out from 0-2. He didn’t have the legs but he’s making improvements. He hasn’t mentally been there since Tokyo. Hopefully a bit of a break can reset him.
For me he doesn’t return well enough right now to beat Djokovic or Medvedev on hard. It’s possible he could win a slam without meeting those guys, but unlikely. Maybe he can make big improvements to his ROS.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Good question. I honestly think all next Gen will benefit hugely from Medvedev's win.
First of all, of course Medvedev now is a Slam winner, has the confidence and the game to beat Djokovic.
Zverev and Tsitsipas now it can get done, they don't want Medvedev to break away as best of the next gen.
2022 could be really interesting with Fedal probably out (of the rankings at least).
Next thing we need is an all next Gen final like Zverev - Tsitsipas at RG or Medvedev - FAA at USO 2022

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why are people talking about the difficulty of the draw as a reason for Novak's defeat? :rolleyes:

At RG he faced Berrettini, Nadal, Tsitsipas in a row (all 4/5 setters) and was fine.

But now facing Berrettini, Zverev, and Medvedev in a row is Mission Impossible? :LOL: Give us a break, please.

Djokovic's performance in the final had nothing to do with physical preparedness and everything to do with him being a bundle of nerves, as well as Medvedev changing his strategy from Australia and serving much better. Stop trying to deflect from his failure.

Maybe next year Tsitsipas will have developed a ROS, Zverev a tactical brain, and Berrettini a backhand but until then, we can't be sure if they will take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Maybe that's he's got from previous experience.
Oh, he certainly has. But by now. all three have a decent amount of experience in facing Djokovic in general and in slams in particular. The difference is that Medvedev uses his analytical skills to make adjustments. He's conscious and deliberate in his tactics. Tsitsipas and Zverev tend to go into autopilot mode, giving more attention to their emotions and inner struggles than to the actual point construction.
That said, this result gotta be a massive confidence booster for all the youngsters. Many of them have a ceiling higher than that of Daniil. Will be embarrassing if they end up not doing anything with it.

·
Registered
Nadal
1,658 Posts
Zverev has the most complete game, Tsitipas the most Talented and best on clay. while Medvedev best on hard courts also greater player right now as well strongest mentally best defence ect.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Oh, he certainly has. But by now. all three have a decent amount of experience in facing Djokovic in general and in slams in particular. The difference is that Medvedev uses his analytical skills to make adjustments. He's conscious and deliberate in his tactics. Tsitsipas and Zverev tend to go into autopilot mode, giving more attention to their emotions and inner struggles than to the actual point construction.
That said, this result gotta be a massive confidence booster for all the youngsters. Many of them have a ceiling higher than that of Daniil. Will be embarrassing if they end up not doing anything with it.
Yes, even as a Med fan, I think Zverev and Tsitsipas have more complete games than Medvedev in play-wise. But Medvedev seems to learn how to maximize his ability to offset his weakness while Zverev and Tsitsipas have not done it yet, exposing their weakness easily when they are tight.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Medvedev was in his 3rd slam final. While, Tsitsipas was in his first final at RG and Zverev didn’t reach any slam finals this year. So clearly Medvedev has more experience there. He is mentally tougher than the other two.
PS: I don’t count Berretini as a contender because of his mediocre BH.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts