Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many threads are talking about Djokovic or Big 3, but I'm more curious about next gen guys in the future.
Since Medvedev won his first major as a next gen(I excluded Thiem because he's older than other guys), I'm wondering how other next guys will react to the next GSs.
Of course, they will work harder to win a GS, but Tsitsipas, Zverev and even Berrettini had been in the final but couldn't manage to win, especially Tsitsipas was 2 sets up against Djokovic.

What was difference between Med's win and other guys' failure? Is it just because Djokovic's huge pressure for 21th GS title? Or Med was tactically or mentally different from other guys? After Med beating Djokovic, Tsitsipas and Zverev feel they will be able to do that if they are in the final as well?

The reason I bring this up is that I always felt that Tsitsipas and Zverev were more ambitious for GS title than Medvedev (Zverev was like he's hungry and etc.. ), but the result is somewhat the opposite in the end. Zverev was way ahead of Medvedev 3 or 4 years ago and Tsitsipas' breakthrough was also a bit earlier than Medvedev.

Of course they have many years to come, and Zverev and Tsitsipas are younger than Medvedev, but I wonder what made Medvedev become a bigger contender than those two and next gen guys who were more hyped than him.

·
Registered
22,766 Posts
Honestly, I think if you swapped Med with Z or maybe even Matteo in the draw, you probably would would have had the same result, but with one of those guys winning their first major. I think the cumulative effects of the fatigue and CYGS pressure made him very vulnerable in the final. Especially Z, had he not faltered early in the second could have also beaten Djoker in 3-4 sets, especially if he had a tough semi with Med.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I think if you swapped Med with Z or maybe even Matteo in the draw, you probably would would have had the same result, but with one of those guys winning their first major. I think the cumulative effects of the fatigue and CYGS pressure made him very vulnerable in the final. Especially Z, had he not faltered early in the second could have also beaten Djoker in 3-4 sets, especially if he had a tough semi with Med.
Yes, it might be the same result like you said. But Zverev had a big chance last year, Tsitsipas also had a chance in FO. I don't agree about Matteo though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Many threads are talking about Djokovic or Big 3, but I'm more curious about next gen guys in the future.
Since Medvedev won his first major as a next gen(I excluded Thiem because he's older than other guys), I'm wondering how other next guys will react to the next GSs.
Of course, they will work harder to win a GS, but Tsitsipas, Zverev and even Berrettini had been in the final but couldn't manage to win, especially Tsitsipas was 2 sets up against Djokovic.

What was difference between Med's win and other guys' failure? Is it just because Djokovic's huge pressure for 21th GS title? Or Med was tactically or mentally different from other guys? After Med beating Djokovic, Tsitsipas and Zverev feel they will be able to do that if they are in the final as well?

The reason I bring this up is that I always felt that Tsitsipas and Zverev were more ambitious for GS title than Medvedev (Zverev was like he's hungry and etc.. ), but the result is somewhat the opposite in the end. Zverev was way ahead of Medvedev 3 or 4 years ago and Tsitsipas' breakthrough was also a bit earlier than Medvedev.

Of course they have many years to come, and Zverev and Tsitsipas are younger than Medvedev, but I wonder what made Medvedev become a bigger contender than those two and next gen guys who were more hyped than him.
There’s no point lying and pretending the big difference was how Novak was playing. It was like something i’ve never seen from him before. The pressure and actually having to have a few difficult matches won Medvedev this slam. Medvedev had a lovely draw to the final and a nervous and subpar novak. Matteo should’ve beaten him at Wimbledon too with how he played. Tsitsipas had the lead but Novak performed very well in that final, they both did, it was very high quality from start to finish. Tsitsipas was never going to win his first slam vs one of the greats. It took Medvedev on his 3rd try remember.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There’s no point lying and pretending the big difference was how Novak was playing. It was like something i’ve never seen from him before. The pressure and actually having to have a few difficult matches won Medvedev this slam. Medvedev had a lovely draw to the final and a nervous and subpar novak. Matteo should’ve beaten him at Wimbledon too with how he played. Tsitsipas had the lead but Novak performed very well in that final, they both did, it was very high quality from start to finish. Tsitsipas was never going to win his first slam vs one of the greats. It took Medvedev on his 3rd try remember.
I know it's his third try, but I felt Tsitsipas and Zverev should've got better results in GS than they have now.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Of course Zverev has already schooled Novak in a big event. It wasn't in the finals but let's be real even if it was the results would of been the same. How Tsitsipas lost that FO final after being up 2 sets to none I'll never understand but it's clear the young guns have him on the run. And remember going forward they are going to get better. Novak is going to get worse. Guys like FAA, Sinner, Rublev are going to be in the mix as well. Then Nadal & Thiem could come back healthy and fresh next year as well. Everything broke perfectly for Novak this year. I don't expect that to happen again next year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Tsitsipas thing from the beginning of the third set to the conclusion of the match was regrettable.
He did not believe in himself and prevented him from lifting his first GS tournament.
Perhaps what happened in Rome brought back unpleasant memories and made his mind go into shock, which he took advantage of very well, with all the experience accumulated during his career,the number 1 in the world to overwhelm the young Greek from the mental.
And finally he did it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know it's his third try, but I felt Tsitsipas and Zverev should've got better results in GS than they have now.
why? Medvedev is the best on Hardcourt and there are two slams that are perfect for him. Everyone knows Tsitsipas struggles with his ROS and backhand on the Hardcourts, grass is out of the question, and he put up better performances than Medvedev did in AO 2021. Zverev I won’t even discuss because for me, he hasn’t showed once thar he’s even ready to win a slam, maybe if he can manage to beat a top 10 player at some point. He should’ve won that match against Novak, I think tsitsipas would’ve. Cant say for sure of course, just my opinion. And in regards to Tsitsipas and the RG final, he had to get through 2 top 10 players just to get to the final where he’s met by a motivated and basically not nervous Novak. I’m not sure how there is any comparison to it if I’m honest, but hey, maybe I’m biased and tsitsipas doesn’t have what it takes to win a slam, let’s see what happens. Let’s see if he can have a nice draw which is basically a walkover to the final and then get a subpar and nervous out of his mind novak.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I think he has a deeper understanding of what needs to be done and how to do it. Most of his contemporaries have only a superficial idea, hence their minds tend to go blank when the plan isn't working. Medvedev's doesn't. However, that may be his curse just as much as it is his blessing. He's a good frontrunner, but often he seems to struggle to rationalize and justify fighting against odds when he's trailing behind. Opposite to Tsitsipas e.g. whose heart is in every single point. Let's see if winning the first major will make a difference.

Reactions: Milac

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Djokovic has been on the brink with next gen for about two years now.

2020 AO with Thiem , 2021 French Open / Wimbledon and finally US Open.

Tsitsipas was so close with French Open and Zverev was close with the Semifinal this year. Djokovic had to peak against Zverev in order to win and close it out.

Medvedev just proved that it is possible. Djokovic isn't invincible (yes he was under immense pressure) , he can be beaten and can get tired.

It takes just one win to potentially open the flood gates.

Zverev , Tsitsipas and other consistent next genner should be inspired by Medvedev and motivated.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It all depends how they handle the pressure. Talent wise I think Tsitsi and Zve are better than Med but Med is probably mentally strongest among the 3 (could be recency bias as well due to USO). Zverev in zone and if bit more mentally stronger can blow most players off the court (unless he gets confused and starts grinding/pushing). Let's see how 2022 turns out for these next Big3

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If this does not motivate youngsters, I don't know what will. This is a wonderful opportunity to start dominating, get better.. and shut the door on all big three.. But as we know that won't happen.. They should at least make them earn it, than folding like past 5-6 years. That is how it naturally should be. Yes, in 30s they should feel fatigued.. compared to player in 20s. It was ridiculous to see 34 and 35 year olds playing more refreshed after more matches than players in their 20s. The fight is lost.. Med brought it back.. don't be overwhelmed by their aura.. That is how Novak became Novak by not being afraid of Federer's aura..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts