Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone is aware of the war in 1991 that split up Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia. The war was really about nothing, but thats not what this thread is about, its about what could of been in tennis if it was still Yugoslavia

Goran Ivanisevic, Ivan Ljubicic, Mario Ancic,Ivo Karlovic, Novak Djokovic, Amer Delic, Janko Tipsarevic, Danial Nester(dubs,)Nenad Zimonjic (dubs), Iva Majoli, Monica Seles, Ana Ivanovic, Up and coming Jr. Marin Cilic(RG Champ).

Could of had nice Davis Cup team- for years to come with Ljubicic,Ancic and Djokovic and doubles with Nester and Zimonjic.

But it will never happen, because of nothing.

dont even get me started on soccer.

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
JerrySeinfeld said:
Well everyone is aware of the war in 1991 that split up Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia. The war was really about nothing, but thats not what this thread is about, its about what could of been in tennis if it was still Yugoslavia

Goran Ivanisevic, Ivan Ljubicic, Mario Ancic,Ivo Karlovic, Novak Djokovic, Amer Delic, Janko Tipsarevic, Danial Nester(dubs,)Nenad Zimonjic (dubs), Iva Majoli, Monica Seles, Ana Ivanovic, Up and coming Jr. Marin Cilic(RG Champ).

Could of had nice Davis Cup team- for years to come with Ljubicic,Ancic and Djokovic and doubles with Nester and Zimonjic.

Do you miss the former Yugoslavia ??

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Galaxystorm said:
Do you miss the former Yugoslavia ??
only thing i miss is the sports combained. everything else it still there, i still live in Croatia over the summer :)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
JerrySeinfeld said:

Why bother? Last thing I heard, the Croatian Davis Cup Team is doing pretty well!

And let's do get started on "soccer"! The sport is called football. Soccer is just a name Americans came up with because they, in their eternal wisdom, decided to use the word football for a game which is played for 95 percent by hand and which uses an advocadoe-shaped object rather than a ball.
The British, who are of course the inventors of the sport, aptly named it football, a term which does the great sport justice and which we should all use!

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Purple Rainbow said:
Why bother? Last thing I heard, the Croatian Davis Cup Team is doing pretty well!

And let's do get started on "soccer"! The sport is called football. Soccer is just a name Americans came up with because they, in their eternal wisdom, decided to use the word football for a game which is played for 95 percent by hand and which uses an advocadoe-shaped object rather than a ball.
The British, who are of course the inventors of the sport, aptly named it football, a term which does the great sport justice and which we should all use!
i used soccer, because the forum is English speaking. Thinking its American English,

i thought soccer-futbol, starting in Japan in 1004 B.C

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
JerrySeinfeld said:

I look at the players these countries are producing and I can't help feeling how shit our British system is. Croatia with population 5 million, Serbia 10 million, Czech 10 million, Slovakia 5 million are each producing as many, if not, more top tennis players than UK population 60 million.
I have so much respect for these countries :worship: How do they do it?

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Well, Danial Nester may represent Yugoslavia but Daniel Nestor will almost represent Canada. ;)

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Purple Rainbow said:

Um... Futbol was invented by the Mayans.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
geneve said:
Go easy...I call it soccer too because that is what Australians have been brought up calling the game. It doesn't mean I disrespect the game by calling it soccer, it is simply the way some groups of people have been brought up calling the game.
If anything it's disrespectful to snark on those who happen to call it "soccer". It's not like Americans, Canadians, and whoever else happens to call it "soccer" (Aussies?) are now a lower form of being for this slight. It's truly not a big deal so long as we all know what is being talked about.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Pfffft, you forgot Jelena Dokic :p. She has achieved a hell of a lot more than everyone listed (in singles) except for 3 : Seles, Ivanisevic, and Majoli.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
What about Czechoslovakia? Stepanek, Novak, Kucera, Hrbaty, Beck, Berdych, Zib, Novacek, Hernych... That would be a good team also.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well then there was the former USSR in the days of Kafelnikov, Chesnokov, Medvedev would have been an outstanding team and now they could have used Mirnyi in the doubles.

There are so many what ifs going around, it is just fun speculation now.

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plastic Bertrand said:
Well then there was the former USSR in the days of Kafelnikov, Chesnokov, Medvedev would have been an outstanding team and now they could have used Mirnyi in the doubles.

There are so many what ifs going around, it is just fun speculation now.
well this is a "what ifs" that should of happend. if you think what the war was about, other just had to do it this way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts