Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Power has and always will be derived mostly from technique.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As you develop from a young age players will try to compensate for their weaknesses
gulbis mentionend being not so good movement wise as other guys when he was young ,so he needed a lot more pace on his shots to compensate.
They will have bigger takebacks on their shots with extreme grips and stay more behind the baseline in neutral rallys.
so you have players like safin/gonzalez who are arguably big for tennis players with a lot of pace on their shots and other examples
like delpo, soderling gulbis.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Loose shoulder and wrist. That's how you generate racket head speed and therefore pace of shot. Once you're strong enough to swing a racket, it has less to do with muscles and strength.

Other possible factors are the weight and construction of the racket and the type and tension of string.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Skill and Talent
Contrary to popular mug believe
Muscles has nearly no effect on the POWER AND SPEED of the BALL. Spin on the other way ..... (Nadal generates massive spin , not only cause of his technique and racket but cause of his muscular forearms and lower part of biceps).

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Gulbis isn't exactly little. He's 6'3". And besides, size as others have said doesn't have much to do with it. I'm only 5'6" and can wallop the ball if I want. See also Justine Henin when she played :).

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
He's a pretty big guy :shrug:

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Skill and Talent
Contrary to popular mug believe
Muscles has nearly no effect on the POWER AND SPEED of the BALL. Spin on the other way ..... (Nadal generates massive spin , not only cause of his technique and racket but cause of his muscular forearms and lower part of biceps).
Some of the finest bro science I've read recently.

Particularly enjoyed the bit about "lower part of biceps".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts