Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, do you believe in the concept of vulturing/being a vulture?

If you do, where do you draw the line? Is it top-50 players deciding to play Challengers when the #2 seed will be 40+ rankings places beneath them? Is it top-10 players playing 250's? Is it (your not-favorite top 10 player) playing any event below mandatory M1000s, while (your favorite top 10 player) isn't a vulture even if they play 250's?

Curious to see where people stand on this. For instance, I've been seeing a lot of "vulture" talk thrown at Ferrer for playing a 500 this week, for example, and absolutely none thrown at Nishikori (who's the #1 seed in Acapulco to Ferrer's #2). I personally don't think a player playing a 500-event is ever vulturing (after all, top players are required to play a certain number of them).

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think there are a number of reasons a player will choose to play a tournament as part of their schedule and posters who go on about 'vulturing' are sad little boys who think it makes them sound clever.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Doesn't depend on the tournament they're playing but the ocassion.

As in, Nishikori is vulturing his way into the TOP 4

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Nothing. It's by far the stupidest term ever invented by MTF. People actually complaining about players wanting to play more tennis and go to different locations.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Someone who can't compete against the top players in the most important stages of tennis and inflates his ranking by entering lots of lesser tournaments, therefore acquiring a ranking that puts him among the very best without actually being one of them. Nishikori isn't a vulture because he's proven he has the game to beat the very best even when they actually are trying their very best; Ferrer, on the other hand, doesn't.

There's a difference between vulturing, which everybody can do, and being a vulture.

·
Registered
62,542 Posts
Nothing. It's by far the stupidest term ever invented by MTF. People actually complaining about players wanting to play more tennis and go to different locations.
This. I mean, who the fuck thinks it is a bad thing to have top players in more events? :rolleyes:

The only thing I take issue with is top 50 players in Challengers (lookin' at you, Lu)

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
It would make sense if you could accumulate points from a unlimited amount of 250 and 500 tournaments but that's obviously not the case.

It's just another way of describing your hate against a certain player.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This. I mean, who the fuck thinks it is a bad thing to have top players in more events? :rolleyes:

The only thing I take issue with is top 50 players in Challengers (lookin' at you, Lu)
That's where I am (with Querrey being the one to raise my eyebrows the most). I guess if Djokovic played a random 250 I'd be like "buh?", but I'd assume he had a reason and wouldn't call him a vulture for it.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
An egg posted by a Mama Vulture I guess, since Vultures don't make sex.
i think you'll need to revise your biology books.. :lol:

my definition would be - short-ish, long hair grinder, with the infinite capacity to enter almost exclusively tournaments he'd be a top 3 seed.

·
Bring it Home
21,322 Posts
i think you'll need to revise your biology books.. :lol:

my definition would be - short-ish, long hair grinder, with the infinite capacity to enter almost exclusively tournaments he'd be a top 3 seed.
So, they do make sex?

:facepalm: on me!

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
I think there are a number of reasons a player will choose to play a tournament as part of their schedule and posters who go on about 'vulturing' are sad little boys who think it makes them sound clever.
This.

Reactions: passingshotDTL

·
Registered
750 Posts
So, that's why Ferrer is called vulture. Now I understand the meaning, didn't know it before.

My first association to "vulture" is a unit in Starcraft game of which name is also "vulture", and because of that, I thought it might be some machine-like ball-collecting player, plus Ferrer fits into that description and that's why I thought so.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
When MTF decides that they don't like who is the top seed.

·
29,699 Posts
Someone like Monaco is the prime candidate for a vulture- made the top 10 without making a grand slam quarter-final.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Someone like Monaco is the prime candidate for a vulture- made the top 10 without making a grand slam quarter-final.
Wow, he really never has. I thought he must've somewhere along the line! But no...

1 - 20 of 184 Posts