Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat of nerd when it comes to this, but I feel a big part of tennis broadcasting is the quality of commentary. Many a matches have been significantly less enjoyable for me due to stale and uninteresting commentary or downright ill informed comments, yet there have been several matches that I have enjoyed significantly more due to well informed and interesting commentary. I also consider commentary an important learning tool, in which you can expand your knowledge on the game proving you have an informed and knowledgeable commentator.

Who are some of your favourite commentators, and why? Who would you like to see commentate when they retire?

My personal favourites I would like to see commentate are Agassi and Henman, Agassi proved he had an astute knowledge of the game and always answered questions in interviews with wise consideration, whilst guest commentary from Henman revealed he was a fun and knowledgeable commentator.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Re: What makes a good commentator?

Andrew Castle was crap as a player, but he's a much better commentator, laid-back, but perceptive. Sam Smith, the lady, is good as well. I like Cash, Connors, Mac, Becker as co-commentators chipping in when they need to.

Of past commentators, John Barrett and Bill Threlfall were very good. I don't like Tracy Austin much as a commentator. I think it's her voice.

Reactions: Thanos and The Pro

·
Registered
27,928 Posts

Impartiality is a key factor.

There's a portuguese comentator that clearly doesnt like nadal and everytime he plays the comments he makes are never impartial. I am not a nadal fan, in fact, I'd rather see him lose most of the times, still it's annoying for everyone!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

experience as a journalist and as a player and not being like a sWeEt siXTeEn IDioT

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

Balancing the key points, and technical draw of the game, while still remembering that there is an entertainment factor about it as well.

My current fave- Killer Cahill. :)

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Andrew Castle was crap as a player, but he's a much better commentator, laid-back, but perceptive. Sam Smith, the lady, is good as well. I like Cash, Connors, Mac, Becker as co-commentators chipping in when they need to.

Of past commentators, John Barrett and Bill Threlfall were very good. I don't like Tracy Austin much as a commentator. I think it's her voice.
Sam Smith is the finest female commentator I have heard. Sadly an overused tactic by many female commentators is excessive attempts at humour. The eurosport team are an example of this. Sam is very knowledgeable, and enjoyable to listen too. Virgina Wade is also a fantastic commentator.

Mark Petchey and Peter Fleming are a good team, and both have good knowledge on the game and also are a little funny and exciting to listen to. Barry Millns for example is extremely uninteresting and tedious to listen to. I also think Frew from Eurosport is a very astute master of the game, and in his unique way, has a good sense of humour.

Marcus Buckland is slowly improving, even though he isn't a commentator when he first joined the team he was committing horrific blunders, but now he is doing a lot fewer.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Sam Smith is the finest female commentator I have heard. Sadly an overused tactic by many female commentators is excessive attempts at humour. The eurosport team are an example of this. Sam is very knowledgeable, and enjoyable to listen too. Virgina Wade is also a fantastic commentator.

Mark Petchey and Peter Fleming are a good team, and both have good knowledge on the game and also are a little funny and exciting to listen to. Barry Millns for example is extremely uninteresting and tedious to listen to. I also think Frew from Eurosport is a very astute master of the game, and in his unique way, has a good sense of humour.

Marcus Buckland is slowly improving, even though he isn't a commentator when he first joined the team he was committing horrific blunders, but now he is doing a lot fewer.
Yeah, Peter Fleming is good, understated. I mostly watch tennis on the BBC, so only really know their commentators nowadays. I would like the names of some good overseas commemtators, please, just as a matter of interest.

:wavey:

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah, Peter Fleming is good, understated. I mostly watch tennis on the BBC, so only really know their commentators nowadays. I would like the names of some good overseas commemtators, please, just as a matter of interest.

:wavey:
I'm also curious to know some of the finest overseas commentators as I only have access to Sky, Eurosport and BBC.

I think Jason from Eurosport can be good at times, but sometimes he over emphasises stats and facts. He seems to commentate on American channels too?

·
Registered
375 Posts

I'm also curious to know some of the finest overseas commentators as I only have access to Sky, Eurosport and BBC.

I think Jason from Eurosport can be good at times, but sometimes he over emphasises stats and facts. He seems to commentate on American channels too?

Michael Stich is another perceptive commentator, I like his style. As a top ex-player, it's always good to hear his experiences of the game. Is Mats Wilander another one working? Ideally, I'd like to know who the best European and US commentators are as well, if anyone has any viewpoint.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Best: Peter Fleming.

Worst: Andrew Castle.

I will never forget "Moya may be under 5'9" but he has arguably the best serve in the mens game"

·
Registered
86,336 Posts

German commentators (which are the only commentators I can jugde): I like Jürgen Höthker of German Eurosport or Karsten Linke (also E'sport). The one I dislike the most is Ralf Klinkenberg (also Eurosport, but for luck not as often commentating as the two others.) I really enjoy it very much when Alex Waske does co-commentating at whatever station. (He will do it again this weekend, when DSF is showing Davis-Cup.)

Reactions: Dancing Hero

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

I believe chris bradnam is the worst commentator amongst ES team,simon reed and frew mcmillan are also a good pairing but i can't stand those typical-funny comments from david mercer even though i like the way he commentates...
among females,i like sam smith and i hate jo durie!!

·
Banned
70,903 Posts

Balancing the key points, and technical draw of the game, while still remembering that there is an entertainment factor about it as well.

My current fave- Killer Cahill. :)
affirmative. Killer Cahill is the best in the business. Johnny Mac is good as well. he is still a pathetic jerk on the court but has become a relatively respectable as a broadcaster.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts

Knowledge, and non-bias are the most important aspects of a commentator.

During Wimbledon alot of men commenate on womens tennis when it is so obvious they know nothing about it(Castle, Mac etc). Eurosports male commentators are the exception and are extremely knowledgable about the WTA. (Chris, Frew, Jason)

As for sky sports team love Petch and Cowan, Fleming is OK, Shiras is extremely annoying.

I agree about Marcus I really missed Chris Bailey when he left but Markus is OK now :)

But ultimate favorite commentator ever has to be Sam Smith I love her shes great (but she can be a little bias shes very pro Murray and Nadal and a little anti- Djokovic)

Reactions: The Pro

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

affirmative. Killer Cahill is the best in the business. Johnny Mac is good as well. he is still a pathetic jerk on the court but has become a relatively respectable as a broadcaster.
"Affirmative." I like the slanguage. :lol:

Killer is great because he can call a match without being annoying unlike, say...Mary Carillo, as well as bring in a bit of personal experience and personality.

The Carillo/Enberg Trainwreck can render US coverage unwatchable. :help:

JMac> PMac, IMO. JMac is like salt to me. Little bit goes a long way. :p

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts

I love everything about Cahill.

Mary was so good when she first started. She and Cliffie and Stolle were perfect. But now she just talks and talks and talks. It's painful sometimes. JMac was better when he started out too. He can still be very good. He has a good vocabulary and is quite articulate.

My all time favorite was Arthur Ashe on HBO. He always had the precise word for the situation and was low key and could pick a winner with astounding acurracy.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

My favorite is when one of the British broadcasters BBC i think, will run matches with NO COMMENTATORS!!:hearts: -what a concept.

Just the sounds of the game & what is happening around it!!
Its beautiful thing.:inlove:

Honestly once its gone, there is not much to miss but more to gain.

·
Mom 2 2 Beauties
11,927 Posts

Cahill and McEnroe, John of the current crop on US TV.

To me, one of the best traits of a commentator is knowing when to shut up...and let the action speak for itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My favorite is when one of the British broadcasters BBC i think, will run matches with NO COMMENTATORS!!:hearts: -what a concept.

Just the sounds of the game & what is happening around it!!
Its beautiful thing.:inlove:

Honestly once its gone, there is not much to miss but more to gain.
I just use the mute button, works a treat most of the time.

What make's a good commentator is knowing when to shut up.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts