Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aragones tries out Raul and Fabregas

Sunday June 25, 9:55 PM

KAMEN, Germany, June 25 (Reuters) - Spain coach Luis Aragones tried out a new-look team ahead of their World Cup second round match with France by including Raul and Cesc Fabregas in the potential starting lineup in training on Sunday.
Skipper Raul came in at the expense of forward Luis Garcia, while 19-year-old midfielder Fabregas appeared to get the nod ahead of Brazilian-born Marcos Senna for Tuesday's showdown.

Aragones made it clear on Saturday he would field more or less the same side that beat Ukraine and Tunisia in their first two group matches, but told journalists if they watched what he did in training they could work out the team against France.

"Judging by training it looks like I'm out of the team," Luis Garcia told a news conference. "All I can do is keep working hard and concentrate on the game. We have to put the interests of the team first and not those of individuals."

Fabregas caught the eye this season with his impressive performances against Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final when he outplayed former Arsenal team mate Patrick Vieira, who is a key figure in the France midfield.

"Whether I play or not is not important because all of us are more or less the same level," Fabregas told Antena 3 television after training.

Raul, who celebrates his 29th birthday on Tuesday, has a score to settle with France after missing a last-minute penalty as Spain lost 2-1 to Les Bleus in the Euro 2000 quarter-finals.

The Real Madrid striker is Spain's all-time leading scorer with 44 goals and will make his 99th appearance for the national side if he plays against the French in Hanover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts