Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's take a couple of examples (from the perspective of a straight man):

Case 1: You go to work and your wife is a housewife. Pros: You won't have to worry about food, cleaning, child care. Cons: One person less to earn money for the family.

Case 2: Both you and your wife go to work. Pros: Two people can earn more than one. Cons: Assingment of housekeeping tasks more difficult.

Case 3: You're a househusband and your wife goes to work. Pros: You don't need to go to work but can spend all your time with your kids. Cons: One person less to earn money for the family. People are thinking you're married only to get an easy life. And less excuses to go out if you want.

I think my opinion is closest to the case 2. I wouldn't like to keep the wife from doing a job she'd like, unless she'd really like to be a housewife. And that'd raise my suspicions, why doesn't she have any career ambitions. And she'd also earn some money for the family. Plus housekeeping is the last reason why I'd like to have a wife, I can do housekeeping myself. (And if some MTFettes are thinking I'd do all the housekeeping if they married me, no, I wouldn't. I'd expect a fair assignment of tasks.)

Case 3 would be an absolute no for me. I'm too ambitious to be a househusband. Being at home all time would probably drive me nuts.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Case 3, is a big fat NO.

I'm ok with both cases 1 and 2.
I just want to fully satisfy my eventual wife, I'm ok if she wants to stay at home as a housewife and also if she wants to work.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Case 2 is the most common in modern world.
The only issue is that young wives these days chase career so much that they neglect kids most of the time.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Easily #2, at least until the children are born

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Case 2 is the most common in modern world.
The only issue is that young wives these days chase career so much that they neglect kids most of the time.
Chasing a career is a reason why I think I wouldn't like to start a family in the next ten years. I want to get everything stable, to have a security of a job as well as knowing I won't have to move away to advance in my career plus to know I live in a place where I could live for the next 20 years.

But women have less time for that. I guess Case 2 would still be my preferred option but the wife shouldn't be too career-oriented.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Chasing a career is a reason why I think I wouldn't like to start a family in the next ten years. I want to get everything stable, to have a security of a job as well as knowing I won't have to move away to advance in my career plus to know I live in a place where I could live for the next 20 years.

But women have less time for that. I guess Case 2 would still be my preferred option but the wife shouldn't be too career-oriented.
I hear you on this.

This is why it is best to find a woman 3-8 years younger than you to start the family with. Any younger and the age gap is a big much, any older and I would be concerned about the pregnancy of women from 30-33 years old or so, especially if you want to have more than 1 child.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Case 1.

Only a single partner earning for the family isn't a con for me in my scenario.So,i would prefer my partner to stay at home at least after having kids and until they reach an age of 7.House keeping isn't the important issue for me but Child care is.I don't like kids being left out with baby sitters etc while both parents work.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I don't believe in partners. I do like short relationships, and I am not talking about one night stands. But relationships have a lifecycle. Staying in one for too long for whatever reason is insane. Long term partnerships are for suckers and the weak. Let's face it. Next thing you know wife serves you with divorce paper and 50% of your things are gone plus more.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
I don't believe in partners. I do like short relationships, and I am not talking about one night stands. But relationships have a lifecycle. Staying in one for too long for whatever reason is insane. Long term partnerships are for suckers and the weak. Let's face it. Next thing you know wife serves you with divorce paper and 50% of your things are gone plus more.
We want pre-nup, we want pre-nup

·
Registered
57,601 Posts
case 2, but once/if children are born, case 3 if with current girlfriend, as she will certainly have a higher paying job than me given field of study and I like children more (GOAT=Fed would be so ashamed)

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
We want pre-nup, we want pre-nup
It's more than that. I have seen so many great folks who stay in relationships for whatever reason and stay miserable. I am not saying commitment is wrong. It's just trying to make a dead relationship last longer is not a good idea

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don't think the world could really function if it weren't for long-term relationships. Not marriages, but long-term relationships. Having both a mom and a dad in the picture during the early years is very important for children. I do know some successful people who have come from divorced families or where there's a deadbeat dad who doesn't pay child support, but more often than not those situations lead to significant problems for the children and they don't grow up to have healthy relationships themselves.

Marriage used to be a good institution. But ever since the advent of no-fault divorce, it's basically become a useful tool for young women looking to make a good living by seducing men, pressuring marriage, and then running off with 50-70% of his money plus any kids.

That 70% may seem high, but I know a woman who was nothing more than a stay-at-home housewife (zero income) and she married this rich guy who had a yacht and a condo in Martha's Vineyard. She filed for divorce within two years, and got:

1) The yacht
2) The condo
3) Custody of their only child
4) His Mercedes

He only got his primary house and his Jaguar. I'd say he lost big time - I ran through the finances with him later and she ended up with about 73% of their assets. And the scary thing was that he already had a prenup, but because there was a kid involved, the judge just threw it out.

Disgusting stuff, eh?

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
It would be case 2 for me easily because I would want myself to work, I would hate the idea of staying at home all the time, I wouldn't mind looking after kids but no, I need to out and working. And I would also want my partner to work, I don't want her to depend on me for everything, it would be nice if both of us are independent. If my wife would want to stay at home and look after kids I wouldn't be exactly against it, but definitely rather both us to work.

·
Banned
295 Posts
"What kind of a partner would you like to have?"

One with a pulse :eek:

But case 1 or 2 would be ok for me.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Case 4: Both work without a home (so work 24 hours)

this = LOADSA MONEY!!!

thats what you want

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
I don't think the world could really function if it weren't for long-term relationships. Not marriages, but long-term relationships. Having both a mom and a dad in the picture during the early years is very important for children. I do know some successful people who have come from divorced families or where there's a deadbeat dad who doesn't pay child support, but more often than not those situations lead to significant problems for the children and they don't grow up to have healthy relationships themselves.

Marriage used to be a good institution. But ever since the advent of no-fault divorce, it's basically become a useful tool for young women looking to make a good living by seducing men, pressuring marriage, and then running off with 50-70% of his money plus any kids.

That 70% may seem high, but I know a woman who was nothing more than a stay-at-home housewife (zero income) and she married this rich guy who had a yacht and a condo in Martha's Vineyard. She filed for divorce within two years, and got:

1) The yacht
2) The condo
3) Custody of their only child
4) His Mercedes

He only got his primary house and his Jaguar. I'd say he lost big time - I ran through the finances with him later and she ended up with about 73% of their assets. And the scary thing was that he already had a prenup, but because there was a kid involved, the judge just threw it out.

Disgusting stuff, eh?
Jesus Christ.

Did the man have an, ahem, indiscretion?

Usually if the man has a mistress then any pre-nup is invalid, yes. If it was just because of the kid, well this is truly disgusting.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I hear you on this.

This is why it is best to find a woman 3-8 years younger than you to start the family with. Any younger and the age gap is a big much, any older and I would be concerned about the pregnancy of women from 30-33 years old or so, especially if you want to have more than 1 child.
Concerned about 30-33 years old? :eek: My mom had me when she was 41! :eek:

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts

·
Registered
97,201 Posts
unlike what gulbis says, women can have children in the 30s just fine, i was a late child too

and i'll also have kids in my 30s, because i just dont see it possible to do work, uni, everything in the house (i practically get no help except for the laundry) *and* kids

/puke

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts