Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the 6 most important qualities in being a tennis player...

Serve and groundstrokes are 2 obvious ones.

Thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Good shoes.

(are you talking about a professional tennis player? Anyone can pick up a racquet and go play tennis. Not so many can make money at it. :) ).

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A professional...

I am wanting to know what you folks feel are the most important 6 facets of play in tennis so I can make some top trump cards... figured a tennis forum would be a good place to go.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Yep, pretty good place to go. :)

I would say a somewhat superior ability to focus on the court and block a lot of other stuff out. Yes, some of the top pros take mental walkabouts from time to time, but most of them absolutely live tennis for years at a time. That mental aptitude seems kind of important.

·
Your visions will happen
47,142 Posts
slashability

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

Having dark iris in the eyes<:)

I`ve got blue eyes that are hyper sensitive to sunshine~~ making it hard for me to play outdoors during the day><!!

If you don`t believe me just ask the next albino you see>> what they think about playing tennis in the middle of the day!!

###
Both FED & RAFA are lucky with their dark eyes & well shabed brow line that helps deflect sunlight!! Basically their eyes/face structure were designed for doing battle in broad daylight!!

*The Williams sisters & James Blake also have an advantage in hot/sunny conditions!
[Don`t label me racist merely stating the fact that having darker skin is a bonus for people who play sport outside~~ especially this becomes a factor at AO for instance!]

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
When you see players like Nadal gettin' his lucky strikes, you just need two things:

Legs and gamesmanship.
You could have used this thread to talk up any of the qualities of the players you admire, but you chose to focus on the player that you obsess over. Remember, hate is not the opposite of love. :) The time you devote to Nadal on this forum speaks volumes.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your responses. But come now people!! Seriously, I wanna really make some good looking top trumps cards.. I can't have:

Slashability
Iris depth
Gamesmanship

*laughs*

Can anybody pick any glaring fault with this list:

6 ranked attributes/facets/techniques/whatever

Serves
Volleys
Grounstrokes
Movement
Shotmaking
Iron Will

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
You could have used this thread to talk up any of the qualities of the players you admire, but you chose to focus on the player that you obsess over. Remember, hate is not the opposite of love. :) The time you devote to Nadal on this forum speaks volumes.
Trying to show people how much tennis sucks nowadays.

·
Your visions will happen
47,142 Posts
Roids
Fat asses that constantly need picking
fake drug tests
moonballability
exploiting long clay seasons
fist pumps
grunts
vamoses
bandana
sleeveless shirt
6 pack abs
Broken english

that about covers it

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Trying to show people how much tennis sucks nowadays.
Well then surely you can say so without making people wonder if you sit at home having angry self-sex in front of the Nadal slide show on your computer?

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roids
Fat asses that constantly need picking
fake drug tests
moonballability
exploiting long clay seasons
fist pumps
grunts
vamoses
bandana
sleeveless shirt
6 pack abs
Broken english

that about covers it
That was massively useful... :rolleyes:

Maybe I won't include Nadal among the cards though. :p

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Can anybody pick any glaring fault with this list:

6 ranked attributes/facets/techniques/whatever

Serves
Volleys
Grounstrokes
Movement
Shotmaking
Iron Will
Well, it's a good list, but can you make the argument that there are some Top Ten players without a good volley, sadly?

Physical fitness is pretty important too. None of the others will matter if you can't stay out there for more than 25 minutes.

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Well then surely you can say so without making people wonder if you sit at home having angry self-sex in front of the Nadal slide show on your computer?
The day Nadal shows up in my computer screen I sell the lcd and buy a new one clean. :D

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it's a good list, but can you make the argument that there are some Top Ten players without a good volley, sadly?

Physical fitness is pretty important too. None of the others will matter if you can't stay out there for more than 25 minutes.
That is a good thing, it means the cards will have varied stats making the game of top trumps more interesting. Do you think most of the top 30 ish players fitness is at roughly the same level barring a few? If so, this would not allow for much variance in the stats...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
1. stroke proficiency (including serve)
2. versatility and variation in shot selection
3. physical fitness
4. mental toughness
5. discipline in training and to improve
6. adaptability to opponents and application of the right tactics

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1. basic strokes (including serve)
2. versatility and variation in shot selection
3. physical fitness
4. mental toughness
5. discipline in training and to improve
6. adaptability
Interesting list and thank you.

The two in bold are the ones I don't really like but i will definitely consider the 1st 4 points.

Maybe adaptability could be swapped with.. all court prowess.

Right I'm off to bed.. it is 5:13 am. Thank you again.

:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts