Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week a sick Novak and Rafael with an injured back and WTA serve makes a Grand Slam final. 2 weeks ago, low practice Wristovic and Tiredal cum mentally weak Moonballdall made a Masters final ? Heartbroken low practice Rafael won Rio only and only through pure moonballing and running. Was better in Miami but ultimately the same awful moonballing tennis for the majority. I always knew this era wasn't all that Golden other than Big 4 and Juan Martin in 500 events, but now isn't it getting really worrisome for tennis ? Opinions ?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Scientists are suggesting than men are going to become extinct in the future. As Darwin would say it, this era proves the de-ballification of man. Empirical evidence when you see alphas like Ferrer just throw in the towel and bend over after 2 sets.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yup.

Look at the top 20 in 1994:

1 Pete Sampras
2 Andre Agassi
3 Boris Becker
4 Sergi Bruguera
5 Goran Ivanišević
6 Michael Chang
7 Stefan Edberg
8 Alberto Berasategui
9 Michael Stich
10 Todd Martin
11 Ievgueni Kafelnikov
12 Wayne Ferreira
13 Jim Courier
14 Marc Rosset
15 Andreï Medvedev
16 Thomas Muster
17 Richard Krajicek
18 Petr Korda
19 Magnus Larsson
20 Patrick Rafter

14 GS winners, 3 finalists, and 3 semi-finalists.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Yup.

1 Pete Sampras
2 Andre Agassi
3 Boris Becker
4 Sergi Bruguera
5 Goran Ivanišević
6 Michael Chang
7 Stefan Edberg
8 Alberto Berasategui
9 Michael Stich
10 Todd Martin
11 Ievgueni Kafelnikov
12 Wayne Ferreira
13 Jim Courier
14 Marc Rosset
15 Andreï Medvedev
16 Thomas Muster
17 Richard Krajicek
18 Petr Korda
19 Magnus Larsson
20 Patrick Rafter

only TITANS and LEGENDS :worship:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yup.

1 Pete Sampras
2 Andre Agassi
3 Boris Becker
4 Sergi Bruguera
5 Goran Ivanišević
6 Michael Chang
7 Stefan Edberg
8 Alberto Berasategui
9 Michael Stich
10 Todd Martin
11 Ievgueni Kafelnikov
12 Wayne Ferreira
13 Jim Courier
14 Marc Rosset
15 Andreï Medvedev
16 Thomas Muster
17 Richard Krajicek
18 Petr Korda
19 Magnus Larsson
20 Patrick Rafter

This comparison is not really fair because a number of these guys were yet to win a GS tournament in 1994. For example Rafter and Ivanisevic were not established greats back then. What I mean is that maybe in 10 years time some of the current top 10 players have more victories.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Yup.

1 Pete Sampras
2 Andre Agassi
3 Boris Becker
4 Sergi Bruguera
5 Goran Ivanišević
6 Michael Chang
7 Stefan Edberg
8 Alberto Berasategui
9 Michael Stich
10 Todd Martin
11 Ievgueni Kafelnikov
12 Wayne Ferreira
13 Jim Courier
14 Marc Rosset
15 Andreï Medvedev
16 Thomas Muster
17 Richard Krajicek
18 Petr Korda
19 Magnus Larsson
20 Patrick Rafter

to be fair who knows which current top 20 players will win slams in the future, it could look like a lot better roster eventually

and I certainly think its safe to say that Nadal, Federer, Murray, Djokovic are a stronger 4 to have in your top 10 than any other comparable era (that is, at the same time)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
to be fair who knows which current top 20 players will win slams in the future, it could look like a lot better roster eventually

and I certainly think its safe to say that Nadal, Federer, Murray, Djokovic are a stronger 4 to have in your top 10 than any other comparable era (that is, at the same time)
Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Connors >>> Nadal, Federer (Goat), Djokovic, and Murray (lol).

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
This week a sick Novak and Rafael with an injured back and WTA serve makes a Grand Slam final. 2 weeks ago, low practice Wristovic and Tiredal cum mentally weak Moonballdall made a Masters final ? Heartbroken low practice Rafael won Rio only and only through pure moonballing and running. Was better in Miami but ultimately the same awful moonballing tennis for the majority. I always knew this era wasn't all that Golden other than Big 4 and Juan Martin in 500 events, but now isn't it getting really worrisome for tennis ? Opinions ?
Well what would you like to see? I'm not sure what you want and what you are complaining about.

Djokovic will destroy Rafaela on Sunday and life will be good, no?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nothing. The big 4 era ended in 2012 however.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
This comparison is not really fair because a number of these guys were yet to win a GS tournament in 1994. For example Rafter and Ivanisevic were not established greats back then. What I mean is that maybe in 10 years time some of the current top 10 players have more victories.
Do you actually believe that's a possibility? There's not going to be a whole lot of Wawrinkas or even finalists (as Goran was at the time)

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Yup.

1 Pete Sampras
2 Andre Agassi
3 Boris Becker
4 Sergi Bruguera
5 Goran Ivanišević
6 Michael Chang
7 Stefan Edberg
8 Alberto Berasategui
9 Michael Stich
10 Todd Martin
11 Ievgueni Kafelnikov
12 Wayne Ferreira
13 Jim Courier
14 Marc Rosset
15 Andreï Medvedev
16 Thomas Muster
17 Richard Krajicek
18 Petr Korda
19 Magnus Larsson
20 Patrick Rafter

But by 1994 many of those players didnt win a GS yet, you should count the things they achieved by the date the rankings were released.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Do you actually believe that's a possibility? There's not going to be a whole lot of Wawrinkas or even finalists (as Goran was at the time)
I actually don't. Just wanted to point out the flaw in comparison. I do believe that tennis in the 1990s or 1980s was much more competitive. Back then we always had younger players ready to challenge the previous generation. For a while now the top 20 has consisted of players who are not bad, but never have achieved anything big. And probably never will.

So yes, I prefer the good old days with contrasting styles and personalities. I 'm not gonna bother watching tomorrow's final because I'm sick and tired of watching Djokovic and Nadal play the same match for the 176th time.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
only TITANS and LEGENDS :worship:
Good old days when we had variation in surface speed and playing styles. No variation makes it easy for the top 3-4 guys and they clean up everything. Variety is the spice of life and sadly we don't have any in this era. That's why it is so predictable and boring.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
I actually don't. Just wanted to point out the flaw in comparison. I do believe that tennis in the 1990s or 1980s was much more competitive. Back then we always had younger players ready to challenge the previous generation. For a while now the top 20 has consisted of players who are not bad, but never have achieved anything big. And probably never will.

So yes, I prefer the good old days with contrasting styles and personalities. I 'm not gonna bother watching tomorrow's final because I'm sick and tired of watching Djokovic and Nadal play the same match for the 176th time.
This

Good old days when we had variation in surface speed and playing styles. No variation makes it easy for the top 3-4 guys and they clean up everything. Variety is the spice of life and sadly we don't have any in this era. That's why it is so predictable and boring.
And this.

·
Banned
295 Posts
The "general sports media" think it is the best era ever due to the fed/nadal, fed/djoker, nadal/djoker rivalries providing some of the best slam finals ever played. Which is true but I think the 90s would have been more fun to watch overall. It would be good to see more than 3 (or 4) players playing each other every week :eek:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts