Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a huge fan of this talented young teenager, but even I am being forced to admit something seems very wrong with him. He struggles to hold serve, makes huge amounts of unforced errors and plays in a generally wild and sloppy way. He's down two sets to love right now against hasse, and basically gave Hasse the first set with all his errors and poor serving.

I know he's young, still developing, still learning, and still growing. I appreciate all that. I do believe all the talent is there, but something has happened since this past summer. He seems to be deteriorating and getting worse and worse all the time. I don't know what else to say. It's painful for me to watch, and I used to enjoy watching him so much.

I only wish the best for him, and hope this turns around. He has plenty of time. I hope he will.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
He changed the serve and the new version is a bit of a disaster
Really wonder why it was changed. Always thought he had one of the best serves for his height and everytime I watch him now he produces DFs galore. :lol:

Everything else is obviously allright, if you want to see players with less UFE playing less wildly it's probably better to switch player ASAP, because that's never really going to change. It's simply his gamestyle. :shrug:

·
3,235 Posts
There's a similarity between Dimitrov and Shapovalov in this regard. They both rely on having a big 1st serve. And both have struggled with serve consistency this season, and as a result have been experiencing difficulties. I think Denis' problems are less mental than Grigor's but they are still concerning. My guess is that he was experiencing some pain in his shoulder so they simplified his motion to eliminate inefficiencies. I'm going in this direction because significantly changing a serve motion during the middle of the season is a huge risk and should only be done to avoid injury. As we've seen, once an aggressive player like Denis loses his 1st serve potency, the rest of his game falls apart because it was built around aggressive first-strike tennis.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
He's a "shotmaker" who hasn't still hasn't really figured out how to win the meat of a match yet. Shot making and winners usually only account for the 20-30% your points won no matter how good you are, what about the other 80%?

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I wouldn'call losing to And USO in a tough 5 setter a bad result.
He beat Fog in Toronto, then lost to Hasse who's had alot of top 30 wins and is a good player.

Your expectations, OP, of Shap are too high for the time being.

He's still 19, he has a lot to improve on still, it takes time.

He overhits, and doesn't get enough serves back.

When he gets these two things under control, he will be formidable.

And he fights like a Sonofabitch, as we just saw.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I am a huge fan of this talented young teenager, but even I am being forced to admit something seems very wrong with him. He struggles to hold serve, makes huge amounts of unforced errors and plays in a generally wild and sloppy way. He's down two sets to love right now against hasse, and basically gave Hasse the first set with all his errors and poor serving.

I know he's young, still developing, still learning, and still growing. I appreciate all that. I do believe all the talent is there, but something has happened since this past summer. He seems to be deteriorating and getting worse and worse all the time. I don't know what else to say. It's painful for me to watch, and I used to enjoy watching him so much.

I only wish the best for him, and hope this turns around. He has plenty of time. I hope he will.
Repent!

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
lol

There was nothing wrong with him when this thread was made when he was down 2 sets to Robin Haase (a good veteran player) and there's nothing wrong now. He's a 19 year old top 30 player in the world with a major weapon and with huge room to improve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shapo is doing just fine for his age. I think it takes longer for attacking shot makers to reach their prime because it's more difficult to play that style of tennis - to master all the nuances and knowing when to attack; particularly with so many slow courts these days.

Even Federer didn't find his groove until he was 21. And again, when you have all the shots and play attack first, I think there's more to hone in your game than there is for a defensive player. But when you do get it right; boy is it beautiful to watch.

So I'd give Denis a couple of years before I'm worried. Just so long as he shows steady improvement and stops messing around with his serve.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So Denis just won his first BO5 being 2 sets down and there should be something wrong with him?
What's wrong with MTF overreacting to one loss/victory?
He's fine. Serve is the only bad thing about his game ATM and lucky for him because you can fix a serve easily in your young age (unless you've got Toni as a coach...)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Nothing. He just enjoys putting his fans through a meat grinder. :p

I do hope that messing with the serve mid season was a result of hubris rather than medical necessity. We'll need to wait and see if it pays off in the long run.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Earlier to fix the serve, the better it will be. Mid-season changes of motion has beneficial, you are in form with other type of game working for you rather than out of form caused by off-season changes. You do not want to lose your confidence to start the season with a big serve change and it doesn't happen overnight. Winning fewer games in a match does ruin your confidence if your new serve is not working. You learn to rely on your other strokes to keep yourself in it without losing your confidence. Once he get hang of his serve, he will be more than effective for foreseen future and firmly into a top players. As he learns more tactics, he will be able to beat Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic with a different tactics with high percent tennis and he was able to win more 20+ shot rallies against Hasse. Would be nice to see if he is able to hold games at love when he's serving more often than not. Keep in mind, he has the power to end the point at anytime with one stroke. If he's off, he has learnt how to change tactics and will be used if he is struggling with his A game.

·
28,451 Posts
Relax. Denis is exactly 19y5m today. Here are some age comparisons.

Masters Events

Nadal: 4 F, 1 W
Shapovalov: 2 SFs
Murray: 1 SF
Federer: None
Djokovic: None
Wawrinka: None
Del Potro: None
Zverev: None

Grand Slam Events

Nadal: 1 R16, 1 W
Djokovic: 1 R16, 1 QF
Murray: 2 R16
Shapovalov: 1 R16
Federer: 1 R16
Wawrinka: None
Del Potro: None
Zverev: None

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Earlier to fix the serve, the better it will be. Mid-season changes of motion has beneficial, you are in form with other type of game working for you rather than out of form caused by off-season changes. You do not want to lose your confidence to start the season with a big serve change and it doesn't happen overnight. Winning fewer games in a match does ruin your confidence if your new serve is not working. You learn to rely on your other strokes to keep yourself in it without losing your confidence. Once he get hang of his serve, he will be more than effective for foreseen future and firmly into a top players. As he learns more tactics, he will be able to beat Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic with a different tactics with high percent tennis and he was able to win more 20+ shot rallies against Hasse. Would be nice to see if he is able to hold games at love when he's serving more often than not. Keep in mind, he has the power to end the point at anytime with one stroke. If he's off, he has learnt how to change tactics and will be used if he is struggling with his A game.
That's the silver lining. Playing with vastly diminished serve forces him to play more defense, which is something he's more than capable of due to his speed and fitness. However, his mindset hasn't changed at all. He keeps hitting wildly whenever he can. Or can't. I almost feel last year he played the scoreboard better. Perhaps some of the excitement his OTT aggression caused got to him a little bit. But, toning it down is a matter of time and experience. I have no doubt he'll find the right balance eventually. Whether the potency of his serve will be recovered or not, remains to be seen.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts