Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is Underdog Tennis Tipping?

- A variation of the popular game Tennis Tipping played on both MTF and TF , the MAIN DIFFERENCE is in each round you must pick at least 1 highlighted ODDS UNDERDOG in the Order of Play , thus creating more difference, and more exciting matches overall . Regular tennis tipping has Most Players picking all ODDS FAVORITES every match , IF you pick all FAVORITES here , you will be DISQUALIFIED !

1. Introduction to UTT

1. What is UNDERDOG Tennis Tipping?

Tennis Tipping is a game which tries to recreate the atmosphere of the ATP circuit. It consists of predicting the winners of the singles matches of a given day or round, but unlike the other tennis prediction games, the players are sorted in a knock-out system. That means each participant plays a different participant, and whoever gets the highest score moves on to the next round, when the winning players begin a new match (scores from the previous round are not carried on).

Here are some other similarities between UTT and the ATP Tour:
· The game is played individually (singles competition)
· The categories of events are in compliance with the ITF/ATP regulations (Grand Slams, Masters 1000, ATP 500, ATP 250, Challengers/Futures, ATP Tour Finals, Davis Cup);
· Entries and seedings are based on a 52-week ranking system.

2. How do I sign up to a UTT tournament?

Just find the thread of the tournament you would like to play and post ‘IN’. The UNDERDOG Tennis Tipping tournament threads are usually opened in the Forum of the actual ATP event. The calendar of events being held each year can be found in the ‘Managers Thread’.

3. How do I send in my predictions?

Players must pick the winners of the scheduled matches on each day of play. One day before the start of each day of play, the manager of the tournament will post the list of matches to be predicted, together with instructions on how to send the picks, the username to whom the picks should be addressed and the deadline after which no picks will be accepted.

The predictions must be sent by a PM (CONVERSATION) . The message should be titled similarly to “UTT (Name of the Tournament) – Day”. Picks can be sent anytime until the deadline set by the manager which usually is the beginning of play each day.
---> Order of play with matches listed to pick from can be found on Page 1 of the tournament thread in POST 6 , and/or on the last page of the tournament, Manager attempts to have OOP ready as soon as possible after released by ATP, typically 12-15 hours before the start of actual play.

SAMPLE OOP (order of play)

1 UNDERDOG PICK REQUIRED, HIGHLIGHTED IN RED

Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER v. Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS ---PTS1
Daniil MEDVEDEV v. Kei NISHIKORI ---PTS2
Karen KHACHANOV v. Gilles SIMON ---PTS3
Roberto BAUTISTA AGUT v. Feliciano LOPEZ ---PTS4
Novak DJOKOVIC v. Borna CORIC ---PTS5
Fabio FOGNINI v. Jan-Lennard STRUFF ---PTS6
Richard GASQUET v. Diego SCHWARTZMAN ---PTS7
Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ v. Andreas SEPPI ---PTS8
Milos RAONIC v. Marco CECCHINATO ---PTS9
Fernando VERDASCO v. Marin CILIC ---PTS10
Aljaz BEDENE v. Rafael NADAL ---PTS11

RD1 Singles DAY 2/2
Last Names only please in CAPITALS
PTS=send exact scores (64 63)
SR=send set ratio (2-0 or 2-1)

Send all Picks to a1canada
Play starts at 11 am local/ 11 am CEST
Click for MONTE-CARLO time
Click for CEST time

---> Here is a SAMPLE SET OF PICKS sent by Personal Message to the MANAGER for ROUND 1 (not from same event as PM's are long erased)

SCHWARTZMAN 64 36 64
FUCSOVICS 75 36 64
TIAFOE 76 36 64
BAUTISTA AGUT 64 64
TSITSIPAS 75 46 63
FRITZ 64 46 76
WAWRINKA 36 76 64
RAONIC 75 64
SIMON 75 64
WU 64 36 64
KYRGIOS 75 64
MANNARINO 64 36 76
---> After your picks are sent in, they are put into a spreadsheet and compared to your Opponents (who is chosen randomly thru an entry list sheet) , then differences are posted at the time match play begins , here is a SAMPLE BELOW of DIFFERENCES .

SINGLES ROUND 1 DAY 2 DIFFERENCES
03:03 | (1) Taz Warrior vs. alejan_milos (SR 0:1) - NISHIKORI, CILIC vs. MEDVEDEV, VERDASCO
SR Differences: RAMOS-VINOLAS 2-1 v 2-0, NISHIKORI 2-0 vs. MEDVEDEV 2-1, KHACHANOV 2-1 v 2-0, BAUTISTA AGUT 2-1 v 2-0, DJOKOVIC 2-1 v 2-0, GARCIA-LOPEZ 2-1 v 2-0, RAONIC 2-1 v 2-0, CILIC 2-0 vs. VERDASCO 2-1

04:03 | bry17may vs. Kellemanske (SR 2:1) - KHACHANOV, CORIC, SCHWARTZMAN vs. SIMON, DJOKOVIC, GASQUET
SR Differences: KOHLSCHREIBER 2-0 v 2-1, KHACHANOV 2-0 vs. SIMON 2-1, BAUTISTA AGUT 2-1 v 2-0, CORIC 2-1 vs. DJOKOVIC 2-1, SCHWARTZMAN 2-0 vs. GASQUET 2-1

03:03 | Mikikuba vs. BMT360 (SR 0:1) - RAMOS-VINOLAS, MEDVEDEV, GASQUET, GARCIA-LOPEZ vs. KOHLSCHREIBER, NISHIKORI, SCHWARTZMAN, SEPPI
SR Differences: RAMOS-VINOLAS 2-1 vs. KOHLSCHREIBER 2-1, MEDVEDEV 2-0 vs. NISHIKORI 2-0, KHACHANOV 2-1 v 2-0, GASQUET 2-1 vs. SCHWARTZMAN 2-1, GARCIA-LOPEZ 2-0 vs. SEPPI 2-0

02:03 | dinkulpus vs. (ALT) Rumpas (SR 0:1) - SIMON, VERDASCO vs. KHACHANOV, CILIC

04:04 | (4) rus59 vs. supertom (SR 0:2) - KOHLSCHREIBER, SIMON vs. RAMOS-VINOLAS, KHACHANOV
SR Differences: KOHLSCHREIBER 2-1 vs. RAMOS-VINOLAS 2-1, SIMON 2-1 vs. KHACHANOV 2-0, FOGNINI 2-1 v 2-0, CILIC 2-0 v 2-1

04:03 | nachotuerto vs. Normand (SR 0:2) - SIMON vs. KHACHANOV
SR Differences: SIMON 2-1 vs. KHACHANOV 2-0, DJOKOVIC 2-1 v 2-0, FOGNINI 2-0 v 2-1, SCHWARTZMAN 2-1 v 2-0, SEPPI 2-0 v 2-1, CILIC 2-0 v 2-1

04:04 | a1canada vs. Randy (SR 0:1) - RAMOS-VINOLAS, KHACHANOV, DJOKOVIC, GASQUET, VERDASCO vs. KOHLSCHREIBER, SIMON, CORIC, SCHWARTZMAN, CILIC

03:04 | buji vs. (2) ibreak4coffee (SR 1:1) - KOHLSCHREIBER, DJOKOVIC vs. RAMOS-VINOLAS, CORIC

PICK COUNT
KOHLSCHREIBER 8 RAMOS-VINOLAS 8
MEDVEDEV 2 NISHIKORI 14
KHACHANOV 11 SIMON 5
BAUTISTA AGUT 16 LOPEZ 0
DJOKOVIC 13 CORIC 3
FOGNINI 16 STRUFF 0
GASQUET 7 SCHWARTZMAN 9
GARCIA-LOPEZ 3 SEPPI 13
RAONIC 16 CECCHINATO 0
VERDASCO 3 CILIC 13
BEDENE 0 NADAL 16
---> After PLAY ends for the DAY, scores are inputted into the SPEADSHEET, and results are posted of who will advance to the next round and LOOK like this :

RD1 SINGLES RESULT
10:08 | (1) Taz Warrior vs. alejan_milos #SRs: 3-6
12:12 | bry17may vs. Kellemanske #SRs: 7-5
10:12 | Mikikuba vs. BMT360 #SRs: 5-8
10:13 | dinkulpus vs. (ALT) Rumpas #SRs: 6-5

13:13 | (4) rus59 vs. supertom #SRs: 6-8
11:11 | nachotuerto vs. Normand #SRs: 5-9
12:11 | a1canada vs. Randy #SRs: 6-4
12:11 | buji vs. (2) ibreak4coffee #SRs: 6-8

Followed by the draw for the next round :

SINGLES QF DRAW
00:00 | (1) Taz Warrior vs. bry17may
00:00 | BMT360 vs. Rumpas
00:00 | supertom vs. Normand
00:00 | a1canada vs. buji
---> Followed by the next Order of Play

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
It sounds interesting, but I couldn't do both TT and Underdog TT at the same time. Other players can play all these games at the same time, but not me. I tried playing PAW while playing TT and my PAWs were a mess to both me and the PAW Manager because I couldn't get all the match times right :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Thanks for the invitation but I have enough with TT. My life is a mess and crazy at the same time and I have no time for everything I want to do.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks great but I have following questions to understand the rule:

- In case of 2-day round, we will have to pick one underdog per day ? Or one overall at least for the round ? If I assume final of the game is played during week-end, could a player pick no underdog on Saturday and assume match on Sunday will have an underdog ?

- One drawback as well is that if both players of the UTT Final pick no underdog on Saturday, they will be constrained to pick both the underdog of the Sunday final. So, that will go against the objective of the game to create more differences. One way to prevent this would be to have an exception for the final or to provide an OOP with handicap.

For example, in case of Djokovic vs Zverev final and both players have picked the favourites on Saturday, a way to keep Sunday interesting and avoid players having to pick mandatorily Zverev, would be to propose a handicap pick:

Djokovic -4.5 vs Zverev + 4.5

Meaning, that if you pick Djokovic -4.5, you will win if Djokovic wins 5 games more than Zverev.

- Another case is that if 1 player has picked underdog on Saturday and opponent no underdog on Saturday and result is that underdog wins, the player who is 1 point ahead will know that his opponent will have to play the underdog on Sunday. So, if he picks the underdog as well, he will be sure to win. That is why there is a need for an exception for the final if final is played on Saturday/Sunday.

·
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great but I have following questions to understand the rule:

- In case of 2-day round, we will have to pick one underdog per day ? Or one overall at least for the round ? If I assume final of the game is played during week-end, could a player pick no underdog on Saturday and assume match on Sunday will have an underdog ?

- One drawback as well is that if both players of the UTT Final pick no underdog on Saturday, they will be constrained to pick both the underdog of the Sunday final. So, that will go against the objective of the game to create more differences. One way to prevent this would be to have an exception for the final or to provide an OOP with handicap.

For example, in case of Djokovic vs Zverev final and both players have picked the favourites on Saturday, a way to keep Sunday interesting and avoid players having to pick mandatorily Zverev, would be to propose a handicap pick:

Djokovic -4.5 vs Zverev + 4.5

Meaning, that if you pick Djokovic -4.5, you will win if Djokovic wins 5 games more than Zverev.

- Another case is that if 1 player has picked underdog on Saturday and opponent no underdog on Saturday and result is that underdog wins, the player who is 1 point ahead will know that his opponent will have to play the underdog on Sunday. So, if he picks the underdog as well, he will be sure to win. That is why there is a need for an exception for the final if final is played on Saturday/Sunday.
In 2 day RD1 you will have the choice to pick underdog on day 1 or 2, strategic play available!

I do have the same issue with FINAL , and I'm not exactly sure the best way to settle, during the MANAGERS LEAGUE 10 events, we did not need an underdog in the FINAL, this lead to the most boring of all rounds, and 1 SR at best most times, like regular events.

I will have further discussion, but I like the idea now of remaining underdog required all the way thru, and you would have to figure out best strategy for FINAL DAY, you mess up and final match is even ODDS and you haven't taken an underdog, your opponent has, he wins are my thoughts, or vice versa of course. If both I guess best score wins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts