• Other

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here in the US we get stuck with some crappy TV that they try to pass by as sport...which one is worst (boring/stupid/dumb/idiotic/etc) to you?

My rationale behind each one:
-Poker: ESPN shows it more often than tennis I'm pretty sure...the World Series of Poker is prime TV on ESPN2 :lol:
-Dominoes: Saw it once on ESPN, there were some Hispanic commentators that adored the activity
-Nascar: Pretty self-explanatory, I laugh at those who try to pass it on as a sport here. Who can bear watching 40 cars drive around an oval track for 3 hours (whether it be 50 laps or 350)
-Baseball: I like following it a lot, but I don't even watch a full game of baseball too often to be honest. 3+ hours of one guy after another going up to the plate to watch 5 balls go by before they finally swing.
-Billiards: Don't see it as much as I used to on ESPN, but that's pretty boring. Kinda falls into a similar category as bowling in terms of interest for me (but I left bowling off the poll, so if you want that, vote other)
-Darts: Probably popular with the British, but watching people throw darts is about as enthralling as watching someone move a chess piece.
-Golf: Slow-paced, many find it boring.

·
Same as it ever was
20,589 Posts
Ice hockey... stupid puck flies around so fast you can't even see it. Maybe it would be better live? But I'm not likely to see that in Australia so I maintain that as the worst sport to watch on TV

Darts is just bizarre. I don't understand how THAT many people go to a darts event to watch guys throw a thing at a board that's so small that only the close up people could possibly see what the hell is going on. Ok, so on TV you can see everything... but why would you want to?

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Peta, ice hockey is about the fights.

Golf is played on grass, so that's a redeeming quality. I rate it just above the aquarium screensaver on a sunday afternoon.

I'll go with poker because each player wears 3 hats, 4 pairs of glasses, 5 watches and half a dozen bracelets to look cool.

They put Peter Griffin to shame.

Reactions: KarlyM

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
The poll should have been multi-optional. I don't know that I'd broadcast dominoes on TV, but in the Caribbean, and I believe the UK, it's a pretty popular pasttime. It's like where 2 or 3 are gathered together, there will be dominoes played. Darts I have played at competitive level, so I enjoy watching those guys who are way, way better than I could ever have been.

Pool has its moments of real interest, and golf I watch when Tiger is playing.

So I guess that leaves baseball ( which just seems like rounders we played in primary school) and NASCAR racing - I hate wasting time watching any form of cars going round and round in endless circles; oh and in other - CURLING! Dear God, I try not to be intolerant because most of the time, the games you like depend on where you've grown up, but curling really, really defeats me. It just seems such a pointless activity (sorry Canadians, Scots et al)

·
Unregistered User
9,588 Posts
:lol: at the car racing in a circle option. I never could warm up to baseball. May be someday.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ice hockey... stupid puck flies around so fast you can't even see it. Maybe it would be better live? But I'm not likely to see that in Australia so I maintain that as the worst sport to watch on TV

Darts is just bizarre. I don't understand how THAT many people go to a darts event to watch guys throw a thing at a board that's so small that only the close up people could possibly see what the hell is going on. Ok, so on TV you can see everything... but why would you want to?
Ice hockey is good live, and it's not toooo bad on TV comparatively. The commentators for darts are so funny...they get so jacked up whenever the guy gets the highest possible score.

The poll should have been multi-optional. I don't know that I'd broadcast dominoes on TV, but in the Caribbean, and I believe the UK, it's a pretty popular pasttime. It's like where 2 or 3 are gathered together, there will be dominoes played. Darts I have played at competitive level, so I enjoy watching those guys who are way, way better than I could ever have been.

Pool has its moments of real interest, and golf I watch when Tiger is playing.

So I guess that leaves baseball ( which just seems like rounders we played in primary school) and NASCAR racing - I hate wasting time watching any form of cars going round and round in endless circles; oh and in other - CURLING! Dear God, I try not to be intolerant because most of the time, the games you like depend on where you've grown up, but curling really, really defeats me. It just seems such a pointless activity (sorry Canadians, Scots et al)
I'll see if I can fix that about the poll :p . Curling is awful, especially when you have a horrifying national team (like us) :tape:

All American sports . After 2 minutes of playing you have to watch 5 minutes of TV commercials
So frustrating. Especially American football, as it's getting close to the end of the game, more and more timeouts are called. 30 seconds can last 10 minutes on CBS

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I think most sports can be interesting if you know the rules and are familiar with the teams/competitors. I usually watch basketball and baseball when nothing is on and can be interested even if I don't follow them.

To answer the question -->
Other - Fishing!
When FSN (in the USA) aired Indian Wells + Miami the last 2 years, my local affiliate would keep cutting off matches after 30-60 minutes to put on fishing shows. When I sent a complaint e-mail, they responded by saying fishing gets higher ratings than tennis. :haha: Oh, please! All they do is sit around on a boat talking nonsense about fishing rods, lines, lures, and other sh!t, reminisce about the biggest fish they've caught (usually ages ago), and once in awhile actually catch a fish. It is the most boring crap!!! :(

Other sports I think are boring: curling, bowling, shooting/archery/darts, billiards, American football (hate it!), hunting crap, MMA/wrestling, judo/karate, anything involving horses :)lol:)... plus "sports" like poker and competitive eating. :rolleyes:

Although I don't follow it, watching NASCAR is kind of like watching cycling - you watch for the crashes, trash-talk, fights, and maybe to see who wins. :lol:

Dominoes? :scratch: I've never seen it on TV, sounds bad though. :lol:

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think most sports can be interesting if you know the rules and are familiar with the teams/competitors. I usually watch basketball and baseball when nothing is on and can be interested even if I don't follow them.

To answer the question -->
Other - Fishing!
When FSN (in the USA) aired Indian Wells + Miami the last 2 years, my local affiliate would keep cutting off matches after 30-60 minutes to put on fishing shows. When I sent a complaint e-mail, they responded by saying fishing gets higher ratings than tennis. :haha: Oh, please! All they do is sit around on a boat talking nonsense about fishing rods, lines, lures, and other sh!t, reminisce about the biggest fish they've caught (usually ages ago), and once in awhile actually catch a fish. It is the most boring crap!!! :(

Other sports I think are boring: curling, bowling, shooting/archery/darts, billiards, American football (hate it!), hunting crap, MMA/wrestling, judo/karate, anything involving horses :)lol:)... plus "sports" like poker and competitive eating. :rolleyes:

Although I don't follow it, watching NASCAR is kind of like watching cycling - you watch for the crashes, trash-talk, fights, and maybe to see who wins. :lol:

Dominoes? :scratch: I've never seen it on TV, sounds bad though. :lol:
OMG I forgot about fishing on FSN :rolls:. Thankfully, they relegate that to lesser channels for the most part. Thanks for mentioning horse racing and competitive eating as well :lol: . Those are awful

Cycling is 10 times more interesting than NASCAR to me...at least the Tour de France or the Giro have good views

·
Premium Member
20,588 Posts
Over the years I've discovered that I'm a total sports addict, in that I prefer to watch any competitive sport over most other things on TV. That being said, I didn't vote for dominoes because I've never seen it on TV. I voted for poker because (A) it's a game, not a sport, and (B) except for WSOP and a few others, most of the poker shows are "played for TV" set-ups. While I'm sure those guys like to beat each other, there's nothing truly "at stake." And since there's so much of that on TV (at least where I live), it gets you sick of it fast. But I do watch WSOP main event sometimes and I do like to play online. :)
I used to be bored by golf and curling, but now watch those, too! Even though I don't understand all the finer points of curling, I'm surprised how into it I am :lol: BTW, I tried curling once, and it's very difficult.

·
Same as it ever was
20,589 Posts
Peta, ice hockey is about the fights.
Ohhhh That's where I was going wrong :p

Still, tiny puck, tiny net. No hope of me seeing it go into the goal... give me football any day (that's the one you guys call soccer :rolleyes: :p ).

So much curling hate around here?? :awww: Became addicted to it during the Winter Olympics! It got kind of a temporary cult status amongst people that had never even seen it before. I miss being able to watch it regularly now.

Agree also with Nascar.. I LOVE Formula One but it's the only car racing I do really have much time for.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I don't understand why people don't like ice hockey :shrug:
I love it :drool:

Reactions: straitup

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Formula 1 : I guess I'd rather watch a snail race, it should be as boring but less noisy. (though holds true for Nascar too;))

Football/soccer : Anybody can kick a ball

Handball : Anybody can throw a ball into a goal

Modern Pentathlon : The sport that doesn't mean anything (OK It's not really about watching on TV, it sucks overall, Thanks Coubertin)

Horse racing : For a simple and - you may say - silly reason: the jockey gets all the honour while the horse is the one that does the dirty job. :(

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I haven't watched much Poker and Dominoes so I can't comment. I used to think NASCAR and IRL was boring but as I've started to follow it more and understand the concepts I find it good to watch. Baseball has been one of the few major sports I haven't been able to get into. I haven't watched much Billiards or Darts. I quite like Golf if there is a serious contest going on. Ice Hockey is brilliant.

One sport that hasn't been mentioned is Surfing. I come from a place where surfing is popular and have never found this sport interesting to watch if it is the normal tour stuff and not the big waves. I can understand that it is fun to do but to watch is a different story.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Of those listed my choice was poker. I don't think I have even seen darts on TV, but that would be bad also!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts