Mens Tennis Forums banner

From no sanctions, to even those that harm tennis, what is right choice?

• No sanction. Let Putin have Ukraine,its not worth to put pressure on Putin if it raises fuel prices.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • We should undo ALL sanctions as they negatively impact innocent people- including those in Russia.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Ok, sanctions always create hardship, but they must not create hardship for SPORTS people.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • It is OK, to harm the sporting careers of players for NATIONAL TEAMS, but not individuals.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • It is OK for other sports people to be paying a price to support sanctions, but NOT TENNIS PLAYERS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If sanctions also harm tennis player careers, then OK but tennis should try and compensate players.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Millions of Russians who do not support the war are already impacted, why not tennis players ?

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Ban whoever if it puts pressure on Putin and stop buying fuel from Russia even if prices go up.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 5.1%
21 - 40 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My opinion is that there are people around Putin, who are known, who are enabling him to be in power. Every person around Putin is known, there are 6 thousands of them in a list compiled by Alexey Navalny.

Sanction these 6 thousands and state-owned enterprises,they're responsible. The rest are not and it is xenophobic to sanction merely on basis of nationality.
6000 people are not enough to keep 145million in check. There are faaaaaar more people complicit in the system.
  • re-elect what? You think Putin is actually elected? What? Of what pressure are you talking about? A strong totalitarian state is totally locked, there is nothing any revolt can achieve. It may take half a century for a regime to have a weakness that can cause it to fall.
In the Russian history, you have two examples of mass revolts - 1905 and 1917 - where the combination of widespread poverty and a lost war was the reason. Now, both factors are about to kick in, we'll see what happens. Of course, it's possible Russians remain docile and let the regime go on, it's their choice and their fight after all... As long as they don't try to do land grabs anymore, as long as they don't commit genocides anymore.
  • You've let them know that the West is not a viable trading partner, prepare for economic fallout and inflation. Good job!
Sanctions are certainly a double edged sword, EU exported like €100B worth of goods to Russia, now that many industries can't do that anymore we will have massive inflation and economic turbulations. But the nations of Europe are by large willing to support Ukraine in this war and pay the price for it.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
HOnestly I am torn on the decision to ban individual Russian tennis players.
I support it because:
Just take every measure possible to protest Putin's horrible war, and sanction all things Russian. Period.

I don't support it because:
Unlike the big economic sanctions, it won't acheive anything. It's merely symbolic.
It's unfair to Russians who did take stands against the war, i.e. Rublev, Pavluchenkova, Zvonereva

I beleive Russian teams should definitely be banned, but individual athletes is trickier.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Russia doesn't keep the lights on and the tanks rolling by clawing back the taxes of tennis players and other athletes. They are doing it by selling energy into two of the biggest markets in the world: China and India.

If those two countries stopped trading with Russia Putin would have a lot less money to fund any war activity and the Russian economy would be decimated.

But the American's and their buddies aren't going to threaten the Chinese and Indians with sanctions, it's much easier to target Oligarchs and tennis players and then convince your own domestic audience you are being tough and uncompromising. And most of you seem to be lapping it up.

You wanna do something useful? Petition your own government to stop trading with China and India until those two countries get with the program and stop propping up Russia's economy. Banning tennis players won't do a thing to help anyone on the ground in the Ukraine.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
The ruble is back where it was, as Russia can deal with states which will never back the West.
The ruble is only back where it was, because Putin artificially supports it. He forces Russian companies that trade with other countries to convert most of their income (which comes in foreign currencies) to rubles, thus creating an artificial demand for the currency. Nobody currently buys rubles voluntarily, and as soon as this artificial support will be stopped, the ruble will fall according to it's true demand and the present high inflation in Russia.

·
26,431 Posts
Seriously, if China does get heavily invovled here, it's virtually impossible to topple this, and is the real trigger for a potential world war (especially if a chain reaction like Taiwan and Hong Kong being attacked is next) — cut off the big guys first, the so called "1%" and then we'll get something going...not the collective middle that are tennis players.

·
Registered
15,728 Posts
Tbf, I don't have a lot of problems with the WW3, the world is sick as fuck. WW2 did not solve the problems, just delayed. let's put an end to this. I don't care much about my life, so I am ready to fight shoulder to shoulder with my comrades from fellow NATO member states. Putinist and Chinese regimes are threats to humanity. So better now than late, cuz it will certainly happen at some point.

·
Banned
1,947 Posts
No sanctions whatsoever. Period. People do not deserve to suffer for something they did not do. Else, if UK and USA refuses to vacate Chagos Island and hand it over to mauritius, UK and USA should face sanctions too.

·
Banned
1,947 Posts
Seriously, if China does get heavily invovled here, it's virtually impossible to topple this, and is the real trigger for a potential world war (especially if a chain reaction like Taiwan and Hong Kong being attacked is next) — cut off the big guys first, the so called "1%" and then we'll get something going...not the collective middle that are tennis players.
Naah.
this Chinese involvement will just make it 'vietnam in reverse' : USA fought directly, Canada, UK, France etc didn't but supported USA directly vs NVA, a Chinese-Russian proxy. This time, its Russia fighting directly, supported by China, vs Ukraine, a NATO proxy.
it has a very low chance of going nuclear and if it does, it will most likely be Ukraine that is getting nuked, ala Japan in ww2.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Right now too many Russians are still brainwashed and see what Putin does as legit. They do not acknowledge this illegal war. That way, there cannot be peace between the world and Russia.

That sport events have to draw a line right now is not the reason why Russian tennis players are victims. Russian player's are victims of Putin's action. I really like Daniils tennis and will miss him but I am ok to pay the price as fan too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My suggestion. Why don't Russian players organize a charity tournament in Kyiv?

Show the world that they 'just want to play our beautiful sport'. This will get more coverage than even SW19?

Let's do this.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
That sport events have to draw a line right now is not the reason why Russian tennis players are victims. Russian player's are victims of Putin's action. I really like Daniils tennis and will miss him but I am ok to pay the price as fan too.
The average Russian was overwhelmingly supportive of the Russian landgrabs in 1999, 2008 and 2014... Now that this current attempt at a landgrab is not going unopposed, "you can't make your average Russian pay for this war", even though the cost of this war for European countries (Ukraine first and foremost, but others as well) is enormous. Russians want to eat their cake and have it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Another option that can work for me. Russian players can play but their t-shirts and bag read "End Putin's criminal & murderous war" in Russian... Wimbledon should adjust their clothing rules for that this year ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yet another option. They apply for a new but democratic citizenship like Martina Navratilova or Ivan Lendl did? My advice, pick a country that allows you to elect your leaders and then bitch about them publicly without fear of prosecution. I am sure some countries would speed up the process for Russian players. It would be a great sign ☮ 🕊

If I were a pro, I would consider anything "to just play tennis"?

·
Banned
1,947 Posts
Right now too many Russians are still brainwashed and see what Putin does as legit. They do not acknowledge this illegal war. That way, there cannot be peace between the world and Russia.

or maybe the west is brainwashed to believe that Ukraine is in the right. You shall note, the bulk majority of humans are not standing in the west's corner. They are either in Russia's corner or don't give a shit really.

So don't use the word 'world'. The west is not representative of the world - neither democratically ( less than 50% of the democratic world lives in the west) or in entirity. Its representative of only 10% of humanity. Thats including Russia and Latin America, fyi.

·
Registered
744 Posts
or maybe the west is brainwashed to believe that Ukraine is in the right. You shall note, the bulk majority of humans are not standing in the west's corner. They are either in Russia's corner or don't give a shit really.

So don't use the word 'world'. The west is not representative of the world - neither democratically ( less than 50% of the democratic world lives in the west) or in entirity. Its representative of only 10% of humanity. Thats including Russia and Latin America, fyi.
Right now Russians are bombing Kyiv. No Ukrainian is bombing Moscow. This level of whataboutism is pathetic..

Your victim aggressor reversal is the reason why I support the bans right now.

·
Banned
1,947 Posts
Right now Russians are bombing Kyiv. No Ukrainian is bombing Moscow. This level of whataboutism is pathetic..

Your victim aggressor reversal is the reason why I support the bans right now.
whataboutism is the only logical tool available to check consistency and hypocrisy.
I don't support bans for people for things they didn't do, for just their opinions. Thats called fascism, sorry. And if i did, i would not be making exceptions for other countries like you are.

Most of the world simply doesn't agree with you. So it isn't Russia vs the world, its Russia vs the 10% of humanity that is the west.
Thats the bottomline fact you need to accept.

21 - 40 of 213 Posts