Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me, it is the "year-end #1 ranking." It is arbitrary and severely misleading. The point system is year round. It is not like the players are collecting points as the season progresses. Why is grabbing the number 1 spot on December 31st more important than grabbing it on any other day? What if a player peaks at certain tournaments that tend to lead him to drop in the rankings around late December/early January (Nadal maybe?)

It seems "consecutive weeks at #1" and "total weeks at #1" are much clearer and fairer stats.

Are there any more misleading/arbitrary stats?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Just sounds cool and awesome :shrug:.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just sounds cool and awesome :shrug:.
It does, yeah.

But again, it is not like a player starts out with 0 points on January 1st and slowly collects points until the end of the year. THEN it would make sense.

But so many people add it so player's resumes like it is a bigger achievement than reaching #1 on April 8th. But it isn't!

·
Registered
696 Posts
How is it misleading? The person who is year end #1 is the person who has collected the most points in the year,it's as simple as that

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Number of slams

Ajde.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is it misleading? The person who is year end #1 is the person who has collected the most points in the year,it's as simple as that
Player A can be the #1 player for 51 weeks out of the year.

Player B can be the #1 player for 1 week out of the year and get to add the coveted "Year End #1" to his resume.

Which is the more impressive achievement?

·
29,645 Posts
So if they sneak into no 1 after doing well in the WTF it makes them the best player of that year?

Nah. If they've won the most slams that year maybe but if they did they'd already be at the 1 spot.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Player A can be the #1 player for 51 weeks out of the year.

Player B can be the #1 player for 1 week out of the year and get to add the coveted "Year End #1" to his resume.

Which is a more impressive achievement?
I agree with you in the OP. But the scenario above I think is truly impossible...

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Exactly. If they sneak through at the closing stages of the season, then so be it. He/she has tallied up the highest points out of everyone else just in time before the end of the season. Can't argue against that. It's just the way it is.

Oh and yeah one more thing......number of aces racked up in a slam week is arbitrary because it doesn't entail whether it contributed to winning a grand slam or not :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you in the OP. But the scenario above I think is truly impossible...
Really? I admit, I am not too well versed in the whole ranking system, but surely someone can fall out of the #1 spot on the last week of the season, right? Say if ... the #2 player (Player B) won the USO in September and the WTF in December while Player A played poorly/was injured.

I may be wrong though, but I'd appreciate an explanation as to why my scenario is impossible.

·
Your visions will happen
51,334 Posts
Happened in 2001 :shrug:

Hewitt wasn't #1 all year, #1 switched with Guga and Safin, but Lleyton won the TMC and finished the year #1 :shrug:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Hewitt wasn't #1 all year, but won the TMC and finished the year #1 :shrug:
Sure. But the same player wasn't ranked #1 the other 51 weeks. :lol:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Rankings in general don't indicate current form :shrug:. Thread = over :shrug:.

·
29,645 Posts

Hewitt wasn't #1 all year, #1 switched with Guga and Safin, but Lleyton won the TMC and finished the year #1 :shrug:
I suppose Hewitt could have a case that year being that all the slams were shared out and he won the TMC and USO.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think this is more of a women's tennis question,in men's tennis,the best player of the time is almost always the year-end #1 are they not?

·
Registered
61,266 Posts
So if they sneak into no 1 after doing well in the WTF it makes them the best player of that year?

Nah. If they've won the most slams that year maybe but if they did they'd already be at the 1 spot.
Well...yeah, you are. Being #1 at the end of the year means you were the best of that year overall. It's as simple as that. Being #1 most of the year means you were the best between that year and however long into the previous season

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well...yeah, you are. Being #1 at the end of the year means you were the best of that year overall. It's as simple as that. Being #1 most of the year means you were the best between that year and however long into the previous season
I get that the stat is nice/clean because the "calendar" goes from January - December.

But is being number #1 from May 2011 to May 2012 any less impressive than being #1 from January 2011 to January 2012?

It is simply a nice, clean way of organizing things. But a year is a year and December 31st isn't the "last" day of tennis, it is a circular calendar.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I get that the stat is nice/clean because the "calendar" goes from January - December.

But is being number #1 from May 2011 to May 2012 any less impressive than being #1 from January 2011 to January 2012?

It is simply a nice, clean way of organizing things. But a year is a year!
If you are #1 fro May 2011 to May 2012 - you end December as #1, right - year end ranking? So, well-deserved still. As others have said, year-end #1 is a reflection of who captured the most points in that year. The issue you discussed happens more on the women's side.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts