Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is the biggest reason for Nadal's success at RG?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched some highlights over the last few days of his matches at RG and I have my opinion, interested to know if you think the same.

1. The size of the court. I have a feeling this contributes towards his wins but is not the biggest factor. Often in these matches he is defending deep behind the baseline but most of the time he's no further back than he would be for example say at Rome or Barcelona.

2. The opponents playing to Nadal's strengths. Many key points in many matches, even against supremely fit guys like Novak and Ferrer, they are hitting harder earlier which means at the business end they are tiring more quickly.

3. Nadal's style of play. There can be little to argue this point, he is a defensive baseline player who waits for opponents to tire before pulling the trigger. Rarely in rallies does Nadal take the initiative. But whatever the style, it's damn successful for him, perhaps others can try to beat him at his own game.

4. The surface conditions. The surface is slow and high bouncing, we all know that helps his style of play, but shouldn't the others be able to cope with the conditions as well? I mean it's the same for both players.

5. Peaking at the right time. Rarely does Nadal have to play 2/3 5 setters in a slam, but especially at RG. Is he just better at beating his opponents more quickly in the earlier rounds? An example is the 2 SFs last year, Novak not fully fit and being dragged around much more by Gulbis whereas Nadal dismantling Murray without breaking sweat. Nadal peaking right in time for the final.

6. Any other reason. Please state.

I have a feeling the biggest reason for his success is the style of play, he has mastered the best style to win RG. Perhaps the only way he can be beaten (except for father time) is if someone plays him at his own game. Tiring him down before taking advantage the deeper the rallies go.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Luck and outside factors - Pascal Maria umpiring, rain, other player sickness, ...

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Last year he certainly peaked at the right time, the level he showed in the rest of the clay season would have not been enough to win it.

·
Bring it Home
20,646 Posts
Weak era on clay, there is no real competition, since Kuerten, Gaudio and Coria retired early.

·
Bring it Home
20,646 Posts
Luck and outside factors - Pascal Maria umpiring, rain, other player sickness, ...
:lol:

Shame I can't goodrep you for this!

"You need to spread some reputation around, before giving to Chico again".

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Players giving up or getting tired. Ferrer gave up early (he admitted it in RG 2014) and many times Djokovic couldn't keep up in terms of fitness.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Nadal's style of play and the fact that the surface is groomed for him and his style of play.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
A Lot of Luck and……

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Whats different with RG court size anyway?

Is there is more space at the back? Is it more than other slams?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think he was really lucky in '13..Djoko should've won that match..and there aren't really any much claycourters anymore. I think Rafa vs Coria/Gaudio like types...and he doesn't win 9 RG.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
6. Any other reason. Please state.
-Lively Babolat balls
-It's a best of five which means the best player is most likely win
-Peaking at the right time + ability to improve your game as the tournament progresses
-Being clutch on the biggest stage

Also, it's not like Rafa has not had good success on clay outside of RG...

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Combination of everything. You don't win slam thanks to one thing.

I think he was really lucky in '13..Djoko should've won that match..
No, he shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts