Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Djokovic/Nadal/Federer

Votes: 36 46.2%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what do you think? He's come close, finalist at the Australian Open twice and in 2008 at the US Open, but hasn't been able to breakthrough. What's #1 reason why he hasn't got the job done, obviously a bit of each, but what's been the most significant hindrance? (PS. being too passive at big moments comes under option C.)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
In 2011 he was defeated by:

- Djokovic 3-0 and 2-1
- Baghdatis 2-0
- Young 2-0
- Bogomolov 2-0
- Nadal 2-1, 3-0 and 3-1
- Bellucci 2-0
- Djokovic 2-1
- Anderson 2-0

This is why. One set won overall against the top players in a GS.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In 2011 he was defeated by:

- Djokovic 3-0 and 2-1
- Baghdatis 2-0
- Young 2-0
- Bogomolov 2-0
- Nadal 2-1, 3-0 and 3-1
- Bellucci 2-0
- Djokovic 2-1
- Anderson 2-0

This is why. One set won overall against the top players in a GS.
Hmmm, good stats, and shows you that he's lost to some pretty ordinary players this year. 2011's been a good year for him in the Slams, other than winning one of course, so he is close.

I actually think it's his head. I mean if he was 100% convinced to be aggressive from first ball to last, he'd win a Slam, but he goes walkabouts during games, goes passive, starts yelling at himself for no reason. Stay focussed, hit aggressive, he could win in NY.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Peaking when Federer/Nadal/Djokovic are better than him and being out by the QF stage when Del Potro/Nadal are winning hard court slams.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
1. bigger forehand
2. bigger 2nd serve
3. more aggression

he knows he has work to do. i think he will get it done sooner or later.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Hes mentally frail in big situations and really he doesn't have a whole lot of weapons.. Classic pusher. Im sure he will one or two slams eventually though if he just sticks around the top. Nadal and Fed are reaching the end of their careers, Nole won't be unstoppable forever etc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hes mentally frail in big situations and really he doesn't have a whole lot of weapons.. Classic pusher. Im sure he will one or two slams eventually though if he just sticks around the top. Nadal and Fed are reaching the end of their careers, Nole won't be unstoppable forever etc.
Agree.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
1. bigger forehand
2. bigger 2nd serve
3. more aggression

he knows he has work to do. i think he will get it done sooner or later.
this. within 'aggression', he needs ability to finish short balls and, above all, some offensive game-plan.

murray will likely win a slam, but he hasnt got much time.

·
Banned
260 Posts
murray is a pathetic headcase like safin. but unlike safin, murray lacks the talent to transcend his mental problems and achieve greatness on the biggest stages of them all.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
Bad matches at bad times. If he can play well over the entire two weeks, the slam is his.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Used to be Nadal and Federer holding Murray back...now it's mostly Andy Murray.

·
Registered
653 Posts
He happens to fall into a era with what might turn out to be three of the greatest players ever, certainly two of them. He's a fantastic player but there always seems to be someone better than him, someone more in form than him etc to prevent him from winning it. I also do think he has a certain mental problem when it comes to finals. He's beaten and takes sets from the top three before yet suddenly he gets to a final, plays like shit, doesnt win a set and loses. Mixture of both really.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Murray: May not be my best chance to win Slam
Ticker - Saturday, August 27, 2011

Andy Murray does not agree with John McEnroe’s assessment that the U.S. Open is his best chance to win a major. The world No. 4 has reached three Grand Slam finals and was unable to win a set in any of them. Murray just coming off a title run in Cincinnati.

"It's a silly thing to say, because it's not one tournament," Murray told reporters. "It will be Federer is not playing well and Rafa is struggling and Djokovic's shoulder is sore. But I know come Monday they'll all be fine. I have a chance of winning for sure. Whether it's my best chance or not, no one has a clue like that. And someone like John who has played thousands of matches probably knows that one bad day and you can put yourself out of the tournament. And especially towards the latter stages when you're playing against three of maybe the three greatest players ever. You're going to have to play an incredible event to win. So I feel like I'm ready to do that. But to say it's my best chance, no one knows."
So you've got your answer. :p

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Why is this topic made like every month? Do you people still not know the answer? He's a mental small person and always will be.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts