Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been discussed yet or if the governing bodies have addressed.

For any player currently serving a ban for match fixing, doping, etc - what is happening? Are they technically serving their sentences right now? Or are their sentences suspended with the tour suspended and they will only serve their bans once their actual tournaments back in play for them to miss?

what should the result be? On the one hand, you could argue that it would only be fair for them to serve their bans once the tour is back, or else they aren’t punished any more than the rest of the players. On the other hand, it would seem harsh if there is no tennis the rest of 2020 for a player to also miss 2021 for a one year ban that was given out at the end of 2019.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Since they froze the rankings, it would make sense to freeze the bans, too. But I agree that it does seem unfair to players on suspension who could lose even more of their careers

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LoL I thought you meant those banned from MTF.

They all should be allowed back BTW. A MTF general amnesty must be declared in this dark hour to mankind.
Boss is the hero that MTF needs right now but doesn’t deserve

·
Registered
586 Posts
Same as with the rankings. Ban weeks served should be frozen. You can't serve time for a ban when there is no tennis being played. The tour is frozen so it only make sense everything else is frozen.

·
Your visions will happen
52,904 Posts
The tour is frozen, but their age and biology isn't frozen

This time should count, they are already paying for it by losing youth by the day

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Players are banned for a certain amount of time in which they are not allowed to compete. So no tournaments and frozen rankings means frozen bans. Otherwise the banned players aren't punished any more due to an external factor interfering with people's lives.

I don't agree with @Johnny Groove saying banned players are losing time for the simple reason these players took the risk of getting banned. Don't do the crime...

·
Your visions will happen
52,904 Posts
Players are banned for a certain amount of time in which they are not allowed to compete. So no tournaments and frozen rankings means frozen bans. Otherwise the banned players aren't punished any more due to an external factor interfering with people's lives.

I don't agree with @Johnny Groove saying banned players are losing time for the simple reason these players took the risk of getting banned. Don't do the crime...
But it is additional time. Prisoners do not get their sentences frozen because of a pandemic. You see people get out early really.

Biology is not frozen. Yes, do the crime, do the time. No, do the crime, do the time, but even more if the tour is stopped and no one can play. They are banned from a date on the calendar to another date on the calendar. You cannot change it now

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a very good question. They either get punished more severely than intended, or less relative to the tour, no perfect solution.
exactly, it’s actually a really tough question, and either option really isn’t satisfactory.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But it is additional time. Prisoners do not get their sentences frozen because of a pandemic. You see people get out early really.

Biology is not frozen. Yes, do the crime, do the time. No, do the crime, do the time, but even more if the tour is stopped and no one can play. They are banned from a date on the calendar to another date on the calendar. You cannot change it now
good debate - do we know what the ATP has said, if anything at all?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
LoL I thought you meant those banned from MTF.

They all should be allowed back BTW. A MTF general amnesty must be declared in this dark hour to mankind.
At least we can agree on one thing, mate 😘

Let them loose! Let them loose! Let them loose!

What did @Boss even do to get a lifetime ban?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
52,904 Posts

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Your visions will happen
52,904 Posts

·
Registered
62,555 Posts
My general proposal for doping offenses is that there be NO ban but past achievements be invalidated (up to all of them, depending on the severity). Would probably be more effective.

i.e. Davydenko would be considered the losing 2005 French Open finalist and get the prize money as such, which would be taken from Puerta. Rios would be considered the 1998 Australian Open champion.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts