Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nicolas Almagro doesn't look white I am not trying to offend it is just something I noticed. Almagro looks either North African or Middle Eastern he does not look like a Spaniard. I notice if you look at Nadal, Ferrer, Lopez, and Robredo they are Europeans. Not sure about Verdasco he also doesn't look like a Spaniard. I just went to Wikipedia and someone wrote Nicolas Almagro is actually Arabic or Middle Eastern. Is this true? The person also said Almagro parents changed their Arabic surnames to immigrate into Spanish culture. If this is true then what country is Almagro parents from?

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Nicolas Almagro doesn't look white I am not trying to offend it is just something I noticed. Almagro looks either North African or Middle Eastern he does not look like a Spaniard. I notice if you look at Nadal, Ferrer, Lopez, and Robredo they are Europeans. Not sure about Verdasco he also doesn't look like a Spaniard. I just went to Wikipedia and someone wrote Nicolas Almagro is actually Arabic or Middle Eastern. Is this true? The person also said Almagro parents changed their Arabic surnames to immigrate into Spanish culture. If this is true then what country is Almagro parents from?
Typical anglo people obsessed with the racial labels and whiteness..:lol:

On topic, he probably has some moorish or gypsy blood.

Is fognini white? what about bagdathis?

I think they are all just part of the diversity of looks in southern europe, some people might not look like the overwhelm generic folk, isnt it?. Southern europe has historically connections with the other side of the mediterranean sea, which wont be always explained by recent immigration or intermarriage.

You could also make an argument and say white canadians and americans arent really white because they have on average much darker hair and eyes and shorter height than northern europeans (swedish,danish, dutch, etc people), :lol:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
"What is Nicolas Almagro background he isn't European"

Almagro was born in Murcia, Spain. He's Spanish, which last I checked was part of Europe. So yes, he's European.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typical anglo people obsessed with the racial labels and whiteness..:lol:

On topic, he probably has some moorish or gypsy blood.

Is fognini white? what about bagdathis?
I am asking an honest question Almagro does not look like a Spaniard. I am just wondering if anyone can confirm if his wikipedia entry is true that his parents originally from North Africa or not?

·
Registered
468 Posts
There's no such thing as a 'European' look. Take someone from Helsinki, someone from Sicily and someone from Zagreb and they don't look the same.

In fact, forget Europe, there isn't even a 'Spaniard' look. Spain is a mix of various ethnicities, languages and cultures.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I am asking an honest question Almagro does not look like a Spaniard. I am just wondering if anyone can confirm if his wikipedia entry is true that his parents originally from North Africa or not?
And why would his look and ethnicity be a concern in a tennis forum?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Almagro skin is very dark according to wikipedia he is of North African descent.
#1: So? He's born in Spain, lived his whole life in Spain, that's Spanish. He's European. Doesn't matter what his "descent" is, he's still European.
#2: Wikipedia is often not factually accurate. That particular line in his Wikipedia entry has no source, and I can't find it anywhere else on the web (except in obvious copies of the Wikipedia entry). I'd be sceptical of trusting it unless you find a source that has Almagro himself confirming it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#1: So? He's born in Spain, lived his whole life in Spain, that's Spanish. He's European. Doesn't matter what his "descent" is, he's still European.
#2: Wikipedia is often not factually accurate. That particular line in his Wikipedia entry has no source, and I can't find it anywhere else on the web (except in obvious copies of the Wikipedia entry). I'd be sceptical of trusting it unless you find a source that has Almagro himself confirming it.
I know Almagro was born in Spain but his skin is so dark he looks like a Mexican or something or a North African. Can anyone confirm what country Almagro parents are from?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I am asking an honest question Almagro does not look like a Spaniard.
What does "look like a Spaniard" mean? Spaniards come in all shapes and sizes and colours. If you mean he doesn't look white, well, that's silly. Not all Spaniards are white. (Actually, due to all the Moorish blood in Spain, probably even the "white" Spaniards aren't pure white.)

What, are Gael Monfils and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga not French? :rolleyes:

Also, I agree with blueclay, it's really not a tennis question at all.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
This is just dumb.

·
Registered
876 Posts
What, are Gael Monfils and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga not French? :rolleyes:
They might be Civically French, but certainly not Ethnically French.

If a pale skin, blond Swede was born in Sudan he doesn't become ethnically Sudanese does he just because he was born there.

This is what the OP is trying to differentiate, for whatever reason.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
9,116 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Ugh, that really annoys me. I can't find a credible source, so it really looks like somebody is just making shizz up because Almagro doesn't "look Spanish". UGH.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.