Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is more risky?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
US hardcourt events: Cincinnati and US Open will not have spectators and will not involve interim travel by players between those two events. The players will fly straight to New York and complete both events at once. Get into New York, no interim travel, and get out of New York

EU clay events: Madrid, Rome, and French Open will have spectators and the players will cross the nations' boundaries to play the three events. There is interim travel from Spain to Italy and from Italy to France.

What events are more prone to spread viral infection and more risky? US hardcourt events or EU clay events.

Your votes, thoughts, opinions, prejudices, etc. are welcome.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The latter cause even though Europe is doin a lot better than the US, fans there and plus the travel around the area will be a much bigger risk for virus spreading than simply coming into New York and leaving within a week or 2.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Wearing a mask compulsory in closed public places: a fine of 135 euros for offenders
The measure comes into force throughout France from Monday, July 20.

The following are concerned: meeting and performance rooms, cinemas, restaurants, hotels, game rooms, educational establishments, holiday centers, libraries, places of worship, indoor sports establishments, museums, train stations and airports.

Hum, RG with roof , late september early october :)

Port du masque obligatoire dans les lieux publics clos : une amende de 135 euros pour les contrevenants

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Yer comparing apples and oranges:

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
id say roland garros. i know europe is doing better but i almost feel a sense of european arrogance about it. like, they know they're doing well but we're teetering on the edge of going right back to where hings were in march and april. i see numbers are rising in spain and france again

my question is what are organizers prepared to do if players start testing positive during either event

·
|
15,828 Posts
id say roland garros. i know europe is doing better but i almost feel a sense of european arrogance about it. like, they know they're doing well but we're teetering on the edge of going right back to where hings were in march and april. i see numbers are rising in spain and france again

my question is what are organizers prepared to do if players start testing positive during either event
Same as the NBA basketball, remove the player.
And basketball players are far more likely to spread the virus, with teammates and physical contact with opponents etc.
Tennis is a great sport for social distancing, especially without ball kids.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Under these facts and circumstances, given the travel between three countries and possible contact with crowds and between crowds, EU events are more likely to spread viral infection. There might be more virus outside Flushing Meadows, but the players are traveling only once, get into New York and get out of New York. These factors combined with implementation of strict protocols inside Flushing Meadows, US hardcourt events are apparently safer than EU clay events. That's my personal feeling.

Hence, I voted the European events are riskier. But, what do I know? Rafa knows and Stan knows.

·
Your visions will happen
51,334 Posts
I think players are just going to stay on their home continent. US players play USO, EU players play RG

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Holding any sports event in the US is risky as fuck, since the virus is out of control there.

But holding a large event like RG with crowd is absolute madness. If this causes tournament causes the virus to spread further in France, the image of tennis will finally hit rock bottom.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Imagine Nadal attends RG, doesn't win it, catches the virus, and retires from tennis with 19 slams, such a view
Don't write such stuff while I'm working, man. Now I have to hide my giant boner.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holding any sports event in the US is risky as fuck, since the virus is out of control there.

But holding a large event like RG with crowd is absolute madness. If this causes tournament causes the virus to spread further in France, the image of tennis will finally hit rock bottom.
Controlling and managing 128 players inside Flushing Meadows throughout the tournament is much easier than controlling and managing 128 players and 20,000 spectators every day inside Roland Garros. No?

Oh well, there will be only 64 players on the third day and only 32 players on the fifth day in Flushing. On the other hand, there will be spectators at Madrid and at Rome too.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have heard about travel bans lasting well into 2021.

The "tour" has an awfully long way to get back to fairness.

a*s*t*e*r*i*s*k*s is all we will have to talk about in the next few months.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
come on, you are better than wishing someone you don't know an illness
Maybe you are right... I want to see Nadal go down fair and square on the court.

If the FO happens, I'm quite optimistic we see the downfall of the clay monster. Reasons:
  • Colder conditions, possible more rainy
  • Less tournaments for preparation
  • Players can focus more on the tournament, becaus it isn't followed by the more important Wimbledon
  • Thiem and Djokovic maybe having an advantage because they played more often during the break

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Controlling and managing 128 players inside Flushing Meadows throughout the tournament is much easier than controlling and managing 128 players and 20,000 spectators every day inside Roland Garros. No?

Oh well, there will be only 64 players on the third day and only 32 players on the fifth day in Flushing. On the other hand, there will be spectators at Madrid and at Rome too.
Lol you still think this tournaments will happen? Have you seen the numbers in Spain? Rome also not looking good:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts