Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is more of an achievement...Grand Slam Runner Up or AMS Winner?

• Grand Slam Runner Up

Votes: 143 80.8%
  • AMS Winner

Votes: 34 19.2%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It's obviously Grand Slam Runner Up - - - I remember all Slam runnerups, and I forgot who won the clown tournament of 2006 - was it Hrbarty or Stepanek that played off in a AMS?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
AMS winner for me, at least its a title, i hate to be runner-up, having to stand next to the champion, and wanting to grasph the champion's trophy :mad:

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Hm, tough choice, but if would have to choose for myself it would be a winner on any tournament than second best, even it is a slam.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree that I would want the good feeling that comes with winning ANY tournament, especially one that is second to the slams.

However, being runner up in a Slam is better statistically because you get 700 points there versus 500 in the Masters

·
Registered
942 Posts
Runner up for me, though the new system is made to see the best players coming to the AMS which was not the case in the previous years...

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Runner up. When you reflect on someone's career, you're more likely to note that, "He reached the final of Wimbledon," than, "he won Madrid AMS."

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Runner up at Slam.

The ranking points don't lie.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
runner-up obviously. baghdatis will always be remembered, so will gonzalez. even robredo, berdych or canas were to able to take a masters.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Runner up by a country mile.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
GS runner up, but alot of players that become GS runners up are one tournament wonders. Whereas AMS winners tend to be more consistant, and therefore have better careers.

But 1 GS RU Vs 1 AMS
GS RU wins every time.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
GS runner up. Nobody cares about the Masters Series (there's bloody 9 of them a year).

Now if you said Masters Cup Final winner vs GS runner-up then we could talk...

·
29,637 Posts
Tough choice- for a guy like Henman it would be the AMS because he'd still be remembered as a British loser if he made a slam final and didn't win it, so better to have some trophies than make a slam final and have none.

However for a guy like Boredo or Canas, they would easily pick the Slam final because they know they wouldn't ever get to one in a month of Sundays.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts