Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
His serve can be a weapon but it’s often a liability instead. He needs a more reliable second serve also. His backhand is great, his movement and defense is very good especially for his size. His fh could be improved

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
Zvere's issues or the lack of them almost entirely depends on his court position...

Its rare you're gonna see a player shift as much as he does from tournament to tournament in court position.

When he's in bad form he's at least a meter behind it and turns into a retrievebot, a poor man's version of Medvedev. When he feels good about himself he's up at the baseline, pressing play, and backing up his serve with a lot of 1-2's.

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
His biggest weapon is still probably his 1st serve however when on song he's got a great BH too.

For me his biggest issue is his willingness to play more offensively (maybe it's partially the confidence related thing). When he decides to step in more often (play closer to the baseline and take the ball more on the rise) he turns into a real beast (we saw it many times in the past and his patches of very good play lasted not just one match but much longer).

Then again, when he decides to push his game might just fall apart and he's up to a heavy upset.

BTW @MalvinLuisandy - this is a good thread.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His biggest weapon is still probably his 1st serve however when on song he's got a great BH too.

For me his biggest issue is his willingness to play more offensively (maybe it's partially the confidence related thing). When he decides to step in more often (play closer to the baseline and take the ball more on the rise) he turns into a real beast (we saw it many times in the past and his patches of very good play lasted not just one match but much longer).

Then again, when he decides to push his game might just fall apart and he's up to a heavy upset.

BTW @MalvinLuisandy - this is a good thread.
Not very good as I lost in R2( Still R2 - is my best result. Also I think it's first time when I'm seeded (yes?).

·
9,510 Posts
Has a savage right hook apparently...

Jk

Of course his serve but its also sometimes his weakness. His backhand has been huge at times. I still think he used to push less. I guess he was advised its the best tactic WHICH IS 100% TRUE. So he changed

Good thread @MalvinLuisandy

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually think it is his defense. That may sound odd because his first serve CAN be amazing and his backhand is great. But I've watched many of his matches to see that when his first serve and backhand are off ... he's winning long points or ultimately matches due to his defense. It is surprising to me, given his gifts (height, serve, power).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well Mischa has always been a serve volley legend 😎 , obviously he's a bit long in tooth these days but that obvious 1-2 punch has always been his MAIN WEAPON

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will try to do a brief breakdown of Zverev's game. So, starting with his serve, particularly his first serve, it's deadly. Good placement, good pace, rock solid. As it should be, I mean he is very tall even for a tennis player. His second serve is catastrophic. Unreliable, slow, predictable. He doesn't even allow himself to play defense on second serves too much, because of the sheer number of double faults he makes. You won't hit 80% first serves in every match, it's impossible, no matter how tall or short you are, unless you are just rolling them in at 60 mph. So, almost every time he is pressured, he will just cough up a weak double fault and get broken. You won't do much on the big stage with such a glaring weakness.

There are other points to address as well. He has a very weird forehand technique, and for someone who can hit such big serves, it's just incredible to me how slow his forehand can be at times. If I were him I would just flatten the hell out of that thing. He needs to play extremely risky to hit a decent amount of winners from that side.

His net game and his dropshots are like he has iron hands. Too many errors, very hesitant, very unimaginative.

Now, I won't be too harsh on the guy. His backhand is world class. His movement is nothing special for a tennis pro, but considering his height, it's amazing. First time I watched him, in Indian Wells 2016 against Rafa, I remember thinking, damn this will be one dangerous player. And already at that point, he exhibited choking tendencies. I think he even had match points then. But looking at the player he is now, he certainly hasn't regressed, but I think more work on the forehand and second serve, he could have been a much deadlier and more complete player than he is now. I am again indifferent to him at this point.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
yah, well.
what might be the main weapon of a semi-servepushbot of the calibre of hyperev? can't think of anything right now tbh.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
His first serve is pretty fuckin dangerous and his backhand is very strong too. He lacks variety and his biggest weakness is his second serve which is absolute titty milk and his mentality. When he’s confident, he’s attacking and stepping up in the court. When he’s not, he pushes from Dull distance behind the baseline and it’s hard to watch. His forehand is kinda ass but it’s only really a problem when his opponent can take advantage of it and most can’t.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts