Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whatever you think is the biggest weakness preventing each player in the top 100 (or 50, or 20, or 200, or whatever you're willing to list) from being better than they are right now? Use this categories

Talent- Simply don't have the talent to go any higher than they are right now. Have maximized their potential to the fullest and will have difficulty improving or at least struggle to ever reach a significantly higher level.

Fitness- Either an injury prone player like Riba, someone with poor conditioning/endurance like Sock, or someone who is just past their prime like Hewitt would belong here. Their health prevents them from being ranked higher than they are or having more success.

Shot selection- Not knowing what shot to play and attempting low percentage plays. Low tennis IQ.

Mental strength- the player is known for choking, or not playing to their best ability in big matches.

Motivation- A pretty rare one within the top 100. The player simply isn't motivated or willing to put in the effort to play to the best of their ability.

Improving- A fast improving player who is clearly on the rise currently and whose biggest weakness is hard to determine right now. Mostly for youngsters, but late bloomers who are moving quickly like Groth can be included here too.

Some players may have both- for Kukushkin, for example, fitness and mental strength are both issues (a common one is shot selection + mental strength). For these, just pick whichever one you feel has damaged their career more. Use the players' current form, not their best- for example Monaco in 2011 would probably be considered to have maximized his talent, but that is certainly not the case currently.

Novak Djokovic - Mental strength
Rafael Nadal - Fitness
Roger Federer - Fitness
Stan Wawrinka - Motivation
Tomas Berdych - Mental strength
Milos Raonic - Talent
David Ferrer - Mental strength
Juan Martin del Potro - Fitness
Grigor Dimitrov - Mental strength
Andy Murray - Fitness
Kei Nishikori - Fitness
John Isner - Talent
Ernests Gulbis - Motivation
Richard Gasquet - Mental strength
Fabio Fognini - Motivation
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - Fitness
Kevin Anderson - Talent
Roberto Bautista Agut - Talent
Mikhail Youzhny - Fitness
Tommy Robredo - Fitness
Alexandr Dolgopolov - Shot selection
Marin Cilic - Mental strength
Gael Monfils - Shot selection
Feliciano Lopez - Motivation
Tommy Haas - Fitness
Philipp Kohlschreiber - Mental strength
Nicolas Almagro - Mental strength
Marcel Granollers - Talent
Ivo Karlovic - Mental strength
Dmitry Tursunov - Motivation
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez - Fitness
Santiago Giraldo - Mental strength
Fernando Verdasco - Mental strength
Vasek Pospisil - Mental strength
Joao Sousa - Talent
Federico Delbonis - Mental strength
Jeremy Chardy - Mental strength
Gilles Simon - Fitness
Radek Stepanek - Fitness
Denis Istomin - Mental strength
Lleyton Hewitt - Fitness
Lukas Rosol - Shot selection
Julien Benneteau - Mental strength
Andreas Seppi - Talent
Edouard Roger-Vasselin - Mental strength
Leonardo Mayer - Mental strength
Yen-Hsun Lu - Talent
Jerzy Janowicz - Shot selection
Florian Mayer - Fitness
Ivan Dodig - Fitness
Robin Haase - Mental strength
Marinko Matosevic- Mental strength
Mikhail Kukushkin - Fitness
Alejandro Falla - Mental strength
Dominic Thiem - Improving
Carlos Berlocq - Talent
Martin Klizan - Mental strength
Jarkko Nieminen - Fitness
Pablo Carreno Busta - Talent
Andrey Golubev - Mental strength
Pablo Cuevas - Fitness
Sam Querrey - Motivation
Jurgen Melzer - Mental strength
Steve Johnson - Improving
Teymuraz Gabashvili - Fitness
Nick Kyrgios - Improving
Benjamin Becker - Mental strength
Jiri Vesely - Mental strength
Jack Sock - Fitness
Donald Young - Mental strength
Dusan Lajovic - Mental strength
Igor Sijsling - Mental strength
Jan-Lennard Struff - Mental strength
Alejandro Gonzalez - Talent
Blaz Kavcic - Talent
Gilles Muller - Fitness
Bradley Klahn - Talent
Pablo Andujar - Mental strength
Paolo Lorenzi - Mental strength
Paul-Henri Mathieu - Mental strength
Matthew Ebden - Talent
Blaz Rola - Improving
Tobias Kamke - Shot selection
Lukas Lacko - Motivation
David Goffin - Fitness
Juan Monaco - Motivation
Nicolas Mahut - Fitness
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Fitness
Benoit Paire - Motivation
Andreas Haider-Maurer - Mental strength
Stephane Robert - Mental strength
Victor Estrella Burgos - Talent
Adrian Mannarino - Shot selection
Daniel Gimeno-Traver- Fitness
Albert Ramos-Vinolas - Talent
Thomaz Bellucci - Mental strength
Pere Riba - Fitness
Frank Dancevic - Mental strength
Sam Groth - Improving
Aleksandr Nedovyesov - Talent

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
It's never a one particular thing. It's usually a combination of different things. I can go on and on about particular players, excluding Nole/Fed/Rafa, but what's the point? Other guys just can't deliver. I'm trying to think really hard but I just can't remember last time when youngsters were so lost and, excuse my language, fucked up.

So you can look at it 2 different ways?
1. Are Djokovic or Nadal that good?
2. Does everyone else suck so much?

I can't answer these questions. I know that many true tennis fans want younger players to break through but it's not happening, no matter how you look at it. Nadal was a teenager when he won his first slam. Djokovic, 20yo, had won a couple of masters and his first major (20yo, ranked #3).

Nowadays, we are supposed to be ecstatic that Dimi or Raonic, both 23yo, reached their first semis. It's all over the place. Call me pessimistic but I see nothing and nobody. You can't pint point one thing or another but it's always something. Kei is injured all the time. JJ, what to say, a head case, always hot and cold ... shall I continue?

rant over

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should add mental strength to Janowicz.
Some players may have both- for Kukushkin, for example, fitness and mental strength are both issues (a common one is shot selection + mental strength). For these, just pick whichever one you feel has damaged their career more.
:p

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wawrinka is mental strength not motivation, his lack of consistency has nothing to do with motivation especially in his case.
I dont understand why did you choose shot selection in Janowicz case. He has a pretty good range of shots, but I didnt see him playing for a while so maybe you are right right now.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I think shot selection is much more of an issue for Chardy personally (although you're right about tactically weak players having low resilience). And for Lopez, I'd say mental strength.

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wawrinka is mental strength not motivation, his lack of consistency has nothing to do with motivation especially in his case.
I dont understand why did you choose shot selection in Janowicz case. He has a pretty good range of shots, but I didnt see him playing for a while so maybe you are right right now.
I dunno, this year seemed like he just got lazy after winning the AO

And JJ is hitting like 3 drop shots per game right now

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Any man that can be top 100 in the world DESERVES our respect! Does the Op realize how much depth there is in men tennis? To be top 100 means these men are damn good tennis players. What separates the top five players from the rest is the mind. The lower ranked players some of them do not believe they can beat a top player.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Rafa is the fittest athlete ever. The best power and stamina. The injuries are unavoidable for any professional athletes and these don't make him unfit.
You may call me a Nadaltard if you are Fed fans but when you think of the fact that Rafa is the GOAT you have to admit he has no liability.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Whatever you think is the biggest weakness preventing each player in the top 100 (or 50, or 20, or 200, or whatever you're willing to list) from being better than they are right now? Use this categories

Talent- Simply don't have the talent to go any higher than they are right now. Have maximized their potential to the fullest and will have difficulty improving or at least struggle to ever reach a significantly higher level.

Fitness- Either an injury prone player like Riba, someone with poor conditioning/endurance like Sock, or someone who is just past their prime like Hewitt would belong here. Their health prevents them from being ranked higher than they are or having more success.

Shot selection- Not knowing what shot to play and attempting low percentage plays. Low tennis IQ.

Mental strength- the player is known for choking, or not playing to their best ability in big matches.

Motivation- A pretty rare one within the top 100. The player simply isn't motivated or willing to put in the effort to play to the best of their ability.

Improving- A fast improving player who is clearly on the rise currently and whose biggest weakness is hard to determine right now. Mostly for youngsters, but late bloomers who are moving quickly like Groth can be included here too.

Some players may have both- for Kukushkin, for example, fitness and mental strength are both issues (a common one is shot selection + mental strength). For these, just pick whichever one you feel has damaged their career more. Use the players' current form, not their best- for example Monaco in 2011 would probably be considered to have maximized his talent, but that is certainly not the case currently.
It comes down to a players mind and body connection. It's been proven that on ANY GIVEN DAY. a player ranked outside of the top 100 could beat someone in the top 10.

But of course this isn't going to cause a change. All it means is that one of the top players doesn't win that slam or title that year. What makes Nadal, Djokovic and once Federer so successful, is they play great tennis more consistently than lower ranked players. Everyone knows its who plays the important points in a match best that wins.

When you consider that titles can be decided by 2 or 3 key points at the end of the day. That's why you can't count a player out until the final point. I've seen players come back from seemingly impossible situations. Being two sets down and a break in the third. That's what makes tennis so fascinating to me.

One of the greatest comebacks I ever saw was Agassi in the 1999 French open. He was two sets to love down and battled his way back to win the next three sets.

·
23,063 Posts
It comes down to a players mind and body connection. It's been proven that on ANY GIVEN DAY. a player ranked outside of the top 100 could beat someone in the top 10.
While it is true that a Top 100 player could beat a Top 10 player, I am not sure if every low ranked Top 100 player on their peak would beat an average Top 10 player, especially if they could just be simply outplayed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts