Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Obviously GOATdal's records on clay. I would even say these are the most dominant in any sport.
Which ones do you mean, aside from FO titles?

For example, Chris Evert has more clay titles (66 vs 59), and Chris Evert also has a longer winning streak on clay (125 matches vs. 81 matches).

·
Registered
57 Posts
The records in the WTA have a big asterix.
Monica Seles was barely 19 yo and had won 8 Slams and 3 Masters before being stabbed away from the SYSTEM (the gunther parche was just a mad guy used to get rid of such a dominant young phenomenon who unfortunately was from Serbia in a period when Serbia and Milosevic were considered the number 1 enemy to the western world).
In fact, Monica, who realised this, came back to the circuit after becoming an american citizen.
The pre-stabbing Seles was the best player male or female I've ever seen, she invented a new way of playing the game (attacking from both sides from the baseline), she was ferocious , hit the ball so early, found angles of the court I never knew could be reached and hardly made unforced errors while playing so aggressively. Also she had a high tennis I.Q. and was so wise tactically.
Serena, Venus, Hingis, Sharapova : they said many times they based their game on Monica's and Monica was their idol.
When you think graf was 5 years older than Monica and at the time of the stabbing she had won 11 slams (at 24) compared to Monica's 8 (at 19) and after the stabbing they ended up with 22 and 9 Slams respectively, you realise how big of an injustice this was.
If not for the stabbing Seles , in my opinion, would easily have won 30+ Slams.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Crikey, I thought that Rafa's and Fed's joint record on the men's side for most final appearances at a single slam (12) would surely be unequalled, but no:

Blanche Bingley Hillyard made 13 Wimbledon finals! She also took part in the first ever Wimbledon championships for women in 1884.

More recently, Margaret Court made the final of the AO 12 times.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
For me slam records are more important in men's tennis because they have a different format from the rest of the tour, and are uniquely grueling.

·
Premium Member
7,003 Posts
Every record in men's tennis is more important than any record in the women's tennis, since more men play the sport, so the field is stronger.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Novak wins all the masters is just ridiculous because he did it in such a hard competition..

But to win 12 slams in a grand slam.. i got no words for that, its hard enough to the average tennis player to win any slam in his career , so 12 in one slam?

·
Registered
453 Posts

From just browsing those two urls it's pretty clear the all time great women achieved more than the all time great men. If it wasn't for the Roger, Rafa and Novak the men records compared to the women would be pretty laughable.

The atg women were so good and so consistent, Serena, Graf, Evert, Navratilova, Court. Those players were so good Billie Jean King who won 12 slams doesn't come close to making it into the top 5 all time tell you all you need to know. To make the women top 5 you need at least 18 slams.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Regarding the last one, this is a higher clay-court winning percentage than Rafa!

(Although the stat specifies WTA record, so I guess someone on the men's side beats it. Borg maybe?)

Anyway, hats off to Chris Evert!
Yeah Chris Evert was basically the women version of Rafa Nadal before Rafa. She was good on all surfaces but especially good on clay, I doubt anyone will ever touch her 125 match win streak on clay. She won seven french open and skipped three near her peak. So could of had anywhere from 8 to 10 FOs.

Like Rafa she was so calm and so good from the baseline.

Rafa vs Evert on clay

·
Registered
453 Posts
The records in the WTA have a big asterix.
Monica Seles was barely 19 yo and had won 8 Slams and 3 Masters before being stabbed away from the SYSTEM (the gunther parche was just a mad guy used to get rid of such a dominant young phenomenon who unfortunately was from Serbia in a period when Serbia and Milosevic were considered the number 1 enemy to the western world).
In fact, Monica, who realised this, came back to the circuit after becoming an american citizen.
The pre-stabbing Seles was the best player male or female I've ever seen, she invented a new way of playing the game (attacking from both sides from the baseline), she was ferocious , hit the ball so early, found angles of the court I never knew could be reached and hardly made unforced errors while playing so aggressively. Also she had a high tennis I.Q. and was so wise tactically.
Serena, Venus, Hingis, Sharapova : they said many times they based their game on Monica's and Monica was their idol.
When you think graf was 5 years older than Monica and at the time of the stabbing she had won 11 slams (at 24) compared to Monica's 8 (at 19) and after the stabbing they ended up with 22 and 9 Slams respectively, you realise how big of an injustice this was.
If not for the stabbing Seles , in my opinion, would easily have won 30+ Slams.
Yep, that was so sad what happened to Seles(and tennis). Federer has said he think Nadal is greater than Novak because of what Rafa achieved at a young age. Well what Rafa did at a young age was nothing compared to Seles who at 19 already had 8 slams! While many of the girls her age were still playing junior tennis Seles was dominating grown women.

Clearly Seles was on her way to being the undisputed GOAT for all practical purposes. I'm not sure about 30 slams but I think so would of got 25 slams easily. Seles transformed women tennis into what it is today.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Don't usuaIIy respond at MTF when thread invoIves womens tennis but i guess i wouId admit to it being CIaybot hoarding FO's or Novak’s GoIden Masters.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Already mentioned. Interesting that Federer has the most slam wins now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Update on the Laver/Rosewall numbers : thetennisbase.com has some other astonishing numbers on both.

Excluding exhibitions :
  • Rod Laver's total titles they give is 210 (1538 match wins/1967).
  • Ken Rosewall's total match wins : 1705 over 2361 matches played ! (153 tournaments won, which is still a bit low compared to Laver's total, or Laver's one strangely high compared to anybody else - still around 7 for the match wins/title wins ratio -, I would love to have the details behind those numbers).
They also say Ken Rosewall has been ranked during 1748 weeks, which is more than 33 years ! (but in that regard, he is beaten by Bill Tilden who is said to have been ranked for one more year (1790 weeks)).

I doubt any of Laver or Rosewall's records could be beaten soon (I mean in the next 33 years) by any man or woman.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Couple of the "men only" on top things that come to mind are:

— Laver's double calendar slam (no woman has done it)

— Nadal's "la decima" plus records (women have that only at non slam tournaments)

— Ace count, speed and other serve related records across all eras and at pretty much all tournaments (even at the more fairly comparable "best of three" type events)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts