Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is an exhibition, but could there be a WORST time to play Pete Sampras at Madison Square Garden? Mark my words:

If Narcissistic Jones loses to the Sampras:eek::eek::eek::eek:....

Year end ranking prediction: Rafa and Novak fighting for the top spot...Federer fighting for the third sport against Andy "My Game Never Changes:rolleyes:" Murray.;)

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
MTF will crash then and the whole first page of GM will have threads about Rogers decline and the luck he had in the past years :)

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I know it is an exhibition, but could there be a WORST time to play Pete Sampras at Madison Square Garden? Mark my words:

If Narcissistic Jones loses to the Sampras:eek::eek::eek::eek:....

Year end ranking prediction: Rafa and Novak fighting for the top spot...Federer fighting for the third sport against Andy "My Game Never Changes:rolleyes:" Murray.;)
Nothing could be better than a Sampras straight-sets demolition of the transitional champion Rogita.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
MTF will crash then and the whole first page of GM will have threads about Rogers decline and the luck he had in the past years :)
MTF has already passed judgment on that. Roger's game is in decline and he was lucky that the weak opposition allowed him to win 12 slams. That is not going to happen anymore.

I think Sawan is trolling to find out if Roger will curl up in a fetal position and cry for his mommy if he loses to Sampras.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Roger will lose and then we will get the announcement about an exhibition on clay with Pete against Rafa. In short, if the exhibition business was not lucrative there would not be so much interest in it.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Roger and Mirka in 2006

Roger in 2007

Roger and Mirka in 2008

Reactions: Merton

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MTF has already passed judgment on that. Roger's game is in decline and he was lucky that the weak opposition allowed him to win 12 slams. That is not going to happen anymore.

I think Sawan is trolling to find out if Roger will curl up in a fetal position and cry for his mommy if he loses to Sampras.

I'm serious. I want to see how Federer responds to CONSISTENT challenges. Let's not forget: the one player whom he has had the most trouble with STILL has a winning head to head record against him. Federer relies on confidence generated by wins. He has never really been (at least in the dominant year) in a position where he will have to "scrum"...gutting out wins, and adjusting his game.

Don't forget: before he became the most dominant player in history, he was known for his lack of confidence. Once he won his first slam---he was on his way. Now, his confidence is shaken...and not only is facing the Rafas, Murrays, and Novak's of the world...he is also facing tennis immortality. IF HE BLINKS ON MONDAY and loses...It could very well be The Fall of the House of Ego.

Roger and Mirka in 2006

Roger in 2007

Roger and Mirka in 2008

:haha::haha::haha: Hilarious, Aloimeh.

But, not to bring up a post from a previous thread. Novak does NOT have better groundstrokes than Federer. If I misunderstood what you said, I take back that assertion. But, you're talking about a man whose only groundstroke weakness (technically) is the high backhand. AND...he may have the best forehand in history.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Sawan:

I'm basing my conclusions only on what I've seen over the past half year. Federer very well may have the best forehand, especially in years past. However, what I saw at AO, in Montreal, and even in USO, was a Federer who made plenty of forehand errors and has an overly great alliance on a backhand slice. What I saw with Novak was not any special flash or flair or talent, but superb consistency: it's almost like each groundstroke is a clone of the previous one.

I know how much you despise WTA tennis, but (to me) Roger's groundstroke tactics are really starting to resemble Steffi Graf's in an uncanny way. He's defensively slicing much off the backhand and even running around to his forehand at times - which is vintage Graf. To tell you the truth, I feel like we're almost seeing a sort of Graf/Seles scenario being replayed here in the ATP tour - we see the same defensive tactics and overly great reliance on strengths (e.g. serve and forehand) accompanied by a loss of confidence; and on the other hand, we see the same mental strength in the clutch moments, confidence, angles, etc. on the part of the young up-and-comer. It remains to be seen how this all pans out, but I would remind others that Graf's alleged "renaissance" post-1993 was won as much by the kitchen-knife as the racket.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I'm serious. I want to see how Federer responds to CONSISTENT challenges. Let's not forget: the one player whom he has had the most trouble with STILL has a winning head to head record against him. Federer relies on confidence generated by wins. He has never really been (at least in the dominant year) in a position where he will have to "scrum"...gutting out wins, and adjusting his game.
Hewitt? Henman?

Counterpunchers and serve and volleyers baffled him for the longest time.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hewitt? Henman?

Counterpunchers and serve and volleyers baffled him for the longest time.
True, but Hewitt was the only legit all-timer. Similar to Mats Wilander.

Sawan:

I'm basing my conclusions only on what I've seen over the past half year. Federer very well may have the best forehand, especially in years past. However, what I saw at AO, in Montreal, and even in USO, was a Federer who made plenty of forehand errors and has an overly great alliance on a backhand slice. What I saw with Novak was not any special flash or flair or talent, but superb consistency: it's almost like each groundstroke is a clone of the previous one.

I know how much you despise WTA tennis, but (to me) Roger's groundstroke tactics are really starting to resemble Steffi Graf's in an uncanny way. He's defensively slicing much off the backhand and even running around to his forehand at times - which is vintage Graf. To tell you the truth, I feel like we're almost seeing a sort of Graf/Seles scenario being replayed here in the ATP tour - we see the same defensive tactics and overly great reliance on strengths (e.g. serve and forehand) accompanied by a loss of confidence; and on the other hand, we see the same mental strength in the clutch moments, confidence, angles, etc. on the part of the young up-and-comer. It remains to be seen how this all pans out, but I would remind others that Graf's alleged "renaissance" post-1993 was won as much by the kitchen-knife as the racket.
Fair points about Roger as far as the half year is concerned. I still think his forehand is the best though...but your analogy (though WTA tour related:devil:) has merit. Could one take the analogy further, and compare Roger to McEnroe and Novak to Lendl? We'll see.

My real point is that Roger is BY FAR the most talented player out there. Whether he has the guts to tap into that potential, in the face of these new challenges, remains to be seen.

One thing for certain: we certainly know the Count is pulling for Sampras. Do you think he "expects" a Sampras victory?:devil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts