Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During 2005-2011 time, Nadal forehand was a monster. He can out-rally anyone from baseline or over-power anyone from the baseline with that single shot. He can hit winner from anywhere in the court. He literally killed the competition in his prime with that powerful shot.

Now, what has gone wrong with his forehand?. No sting in that shot. It is just a pale of what it was once.

What affected his forehand?

- His foot speed slowed down.
- Lost power in his body
- Racquet change
- His FH racquet head speed gone down
- He has changed his forehand technique over a period
- In the process of adjusting to Djokovic's game, he has lost it.

Discuss :wavey:

·
|
15,485 Posts
The only year Nadal's forehand was not a monster was 2011 when he kept dropping it short.
The best forehands Nadal has hit since 2012 was in the Berdych match this year.
He was also really sharp in the Isner match (when he had zero baseline unforced errors for the first time in his career) but the Berdych match was the most powerful example of down-the-line forehands I've ever seen.
His forehand is far better now than it was last year, so he will probably only drop one set at Roland Garros.
He wasn't consistent this clay season but his best form was way better than 2014 (and let's face it, he did not REALLY win a masters event last year, Nishikori got injured at Madrid).

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Now I truly believe some people here in their mind are living in a fantasy land where people simply do not age and do not get older.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only year Nadal's forehand was not a monster was 2011 when he kept dropping it short.
The best forehands Nadal has hit since 2012 was in the Berdych match this year.
He was also really sharp in the Isner match (when he had zero baseline unforced errors for the first time in his career) but the Berdych match was the most powerful example of down-the-line forehands I've ever seen.
His forehand is far better now than it was last year, so he will probably only drop one set at Roland Garros.
He wasn't consistent this clay season but his best form was way better than 2014 (and let's face it, he did not REALLY win a masters event last year, Nishikori got injured at Madrid).
Yes, but what happened to his once monster forehand?
You have narrated the downfall of Nadal's monster forehand but haven't yet volunteered the explanation why it happened.
It seems he missed his monster forehand too frequently this year, even shanking into the net which was once impossible to happen.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Good morning.

After 2013 his forehand realized that great competition like Mug-Ray, Olderer, Chokovic started declining. Since it did not require to fire as much against inferior players like Fognini, Raonic, Almagro, Berrer and Verdasco, it reduced itself in sting, power and venom for the sake of reducing global warming.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I truly believe some people here in their mind are living in a fantasy land where people simply do not age and do not get older.
Don't be silly. Spartan tennis players like nadal and also his fans certainly do not age and do not get older.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning.

After 2013 his forehand realized that great competition like Mug-Ray, Olderer, Chokovic started declining. Since it did not require to fire as much against inferior players like Fognini, Raonic, Almagro, Berrer and Verdasco, it reduced itself in sting, power and venom for the sake of reducing global warming.
Very plausible explanation.

:worship::worship:

·
Registered
277 Posts
He doesn't hit through the ball when he isn't confident. He relies on that helicopter swing more and more when he lacks confidence to step into the court and be aggressive with it. There are flashes of aggression this year, but it's only just.

Reactions: octatennis

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nadals 2011 was the same as his 2010, even better, bcs he played in 1 more final-forehand included. But someone else was much better, so bcs of that now you have 2005-2011 deluded claims.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Nadal's forehand is better than ever. The only thing that has changed is that the newer era of players are much better and the older players have learned to force errors out of it over the years.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Lack of confidence, probably he doesn't have the strenght anymore to accelerate his arm and wrist enough to produce powerfull top.

·
Premium Member
11,754 Posts

MTwEezi as of late, listening to some fellow Nadal fans :p

·
Registered
264 Posts
My two cents :)

- Looks like his FH DTL shot has technical issue. When he plays that shot, his follow-thru is over the head instead of across the chest. Mostly not balanced enough to play that shot. His technique will work only when he is confident or else he will spray error.

- His FH shots doesn't have power bcoz, he is not putting his body weight into the shot. Always leans back and rolls over the racquet over his head.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,601 Posts
Nadal of late lumbers on the FH. Watching his match vs. Wawrinka he attempted to hit some deep FHs. Problem was he was not following through with consistency to continue to grab control in the rally. He had set up to be offensive but failed to capitalise on his position. Thus he's unnecessarily prolonging the pt when he could strangle the court. What I mean is his construction of pts on the FH has not be consistent enough... He lets many pts out of his grasp than he used to. Nadal's forehand at its best is a shot that pins and disarms his opponent often to draw an error or allow Nadal to come forward to the net. When that does not happen he can get panicky and start looking shorter balls.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My two cents :)

- Looks like his FH DTL shot has technical issue. When he plays that shot, his follow-thru is over the head instead of across the chest. Mostly not balanced enough to play that shot. His technique will work only when he is confident or else he will spray error.

- His FH shots doesn't have power bcoz, he is not putting his body weight into the shot. Always leans back and rolls over the racquet over his head.
But that is impossible.
People do not forget their best shots just like that. Has Nadal really forgotten how to perform his own monster FH??

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,601 Posts
But that is impossible.
People do not forget their best shots just like that. Has Nadal really forgotten how to perform his own monster FH??
Pretty much why I say it's a gameplan issue more likely. Most telling was the pt against Fognini in Barcelona where he served for the set but was down 2 BPs. He hit a very good serve to draw a short floater but aimed the Fh far too conservatively right down the middle. Fognini innovatively lobbed from standing position and then made a Fh pass off Nadal's smash. Big error!

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
His forehand has never been great. Simply, peak Djoker arrived and destroyed that shot over and over again. His game is no different, people just aren't pathetically choking against him. The fearhand my eye. Hitting 1 winner per set has never been scary.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts