Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we know the tennis superstars are sorted for life once they retire, they don't have to worry about money ever again. And going down a notch, even players who weren't as well known but nevertheless experienced high level success (players like Nicolas Lapentti or Xavier Malisse) still earned a few million and are not likely to have to worry about money after retirement. They also probably built up enough of a brand, so to speak, that they could earn some revenue through sponsorships and so on.

I was watching highlights of Federer vs Takao Suzuki from Tokyo 2006, which was a fantastic match btw. And it made me curious to remind myself what else Suzuki had done... not much, tbh. But he took a peak Federer into a final set tiebreak in this tournament having only been admitted through a wildcard. His career high ranking was 102 so he never even broke the top 100.

As such, I don't know for sure but I imagine that he wasn't ever rolling in cash and with travelling and so on being very expensive, I doubt he saved up a whole lot of money to be secure post retirement. Maybe for a few years, but I'd be surprised if he was set for life.

So for players like Suzuki and countless others such as him who aren't set for life post tennis, what do they do when they retire? Become coaches at local academies perhaps? Or do some of them even just end up getting menial office jobs once they're too old to play professional tennis competitively? That would seem rather sad.

Any insight would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
they put their single 250 trophy on the mantlepiece and relax

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
they put their single 250 trophy on the mantlepiece and relax
for some they don't even get to do that - see Benneteau, though Benneteau was nonetheless a very accomplished player and had numerous major doubles titles to boot.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
"A guy like Becker retires, a guy like me just stops playing." - Jeff Salzenstein

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Reactions: friður

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If they want more money, they can easily get a job in the tennis field, even a guy with a #300 career high ranking would be seen as a God if he teaches tennis in any club.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Reactions: china virus

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
They start living then and stop chasing a dream they were never capable

Reactions: Xristos

·
Your visions will happen
51,276 Posts
Coaching, dating properly finally, raising a family, starting a business, you can do a lot of things when you finally don't have to train 5 hrs a day and be on the road 30 weeks a year

·
Registered
61,177 Posts
I'm sure coaching is the answer 90% of the time. Anyone who was top 500 will be a pretty sought after coach at a local level, top 100 and you can probably get a job anywhere. Especially imagine someone like Dzumhur, could probably easily be the most sought after coach in Bosnia.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"A guy like Becker retires, a guy like me just stops playing." - Jeff Salzenstein

I'm sick of the rich college educated US journeymen players using the victim card. Jeff since retiring has opened an academy, become a certified nutritional therapist and a pro coach.. he easily makes more in a year than the most successful year on tour, I wouldn't be surprised if his net wealth is higher than Beckers.

To answer the OP , Takao Suzuki lives a comfortable life in Japan as a broadcaster and coach occasionally playing ITF's for fun. Most journeymen retire in their late 20's and not late 30s like olderer because they can make MORE money not being a touring pro, winning $156 for a weeks work playing a Sudan ITF gets boring quickly .

There will always be a demand for ex touring pros to work as Tennis coaches or a club pros, $70k+yr guaranteed is better than -$5k/yr touring the itfs and challengers .

And to add , most US journeymen players live life comfortably after tennis because almost all have a college degree thanks to the bogus 'sports' scholarship cartel in the US and tennis is Just a part time hobby before they start their REAL career.

If they turn out to be the next goat great but most end up being challenger level journeymen and 'retire' young going from barely breaking even to earn a comfortable $100-300k+ a year working in the financial industry or being a tennis pro coach.

journeymen like Wayne Odesnik, Michael Yani, Scoville Jenkins, Jesse Witten, Ryler DeHeart,Sam Warburg etc make more money after retiring compared to when they was on tour

1 - 20 of 23 Posts