Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I hope Taylor doesn't return. And people say Roddick has no game.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I think you're being a bit hard on old Taylor there. Sure he has a face like a barracuda and a fairly one-dimensional game, but because it is all based on getting to the net behind his serve I feel sure they're going to put him in the Davis Cup doubles against Croatia - he's been named in the squad and I'll bet he's actually the best volleyer among the US team.

Had some pretty good results last summer; took out Mirnyi and Gambill to make the third round at Wimbledon but found Arthurs to be one fellow big server too many (you should have seen one point in the fourth set when he hit a return winner - he went on a lap round the court high-fiving the crowd as he'd finally managed to make one).

He won in Newport, then beat some mighty impressive people at the two Masters events: he beat Mantilla after Felix had knocked out Hewitt but got handily crushed by Novak, then beat Johansson and Rios (both of whom, admittedly, were suffering from injuries) to make the last 16 at Cincinnati, and he lost 7/6 in the third to Ferrero.

It may be a simplistic game, but it's got potential and I actually think he uses, or at least tries to use, his serve more intelligently than Roddick does.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Dent will get better I would think - it more often than not takes a serve and volleyer longer to mature their game (see Rafter - that said, I'm NOT implying that he's as good as Rafter!).

Anyhow, he actually was close to beating Ferrero. I seem to think that he was up 5-4 in the tie break and had 2 serves. Yet he doube faulted on one, and the rest was history.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Sjengster -- Dent has never played at DC match, and will most likely serve as an alternate behind Blake & Fish (who are probably going to play the doubles match as well). I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. Personally, I'm not a fan of Dent, so I won't pass judgment here.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Hmm, I suppose experience wise that makes some sense - the only problem as far as I can see is that Blake and Fish, while a pretty good combination, only had to take on the dubious talents of Jan Kroslak and Karol Beck in the US in their one other doubles match, while here they'll be facing the gigantic serves of Ljubicic and Ivanisevic and a highly partisan Croatian crowd.

Hey, at least if Dent's on the team they can lay claim to one big server to answer the Croatians' whole medley of ace-merchants! (What is it that breeds these six foot four giant servers in Croatia?)

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Blake has always played doubles well in Davis Cup :) I guess we'll see what happens.

And just keep in mind that Patrick McEnroe isn't exactly known for his wise decisions vis a vis DC choices. ;)

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Rebecca said:

Anyhow, he actually was close to beating Ferrero. I seem to think that he was up 5-4 in the tie break and had 2 serves. Yet he doube faulted on one, and the rest was history.
ESPN cut away from Agassi' match to show the last TB, probably thinking Dent will win as PMac predicted that he'll beat Ferrero. At the TB, it's Ferrero who double faulted to give Dent a mini-break to lead 4-3. Then JC had 2 great passing shots to take both Dent's serves and served out the match.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I remember the beginning of that final tie-break very well - Dent tried to approach the net on a bluff and chipped the ball in, and Ferrero ripped a backhand at him which he managed to volley at full stretch, before just standing helpless at the net as Ferrero absolutely nailed a huge forehand down the line. Hmm - I think that JC wanted that point all right!

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
I hope Taylor doesn't return. And people say Roddick has no game.
I think they were separated at birth!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Hurley said:
Right, that's why Andy is 6th in the rankings and his brothers are right there with him. :D
It's amazing how selfish roddick has been. I mean keeping all the vitamins.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
AHAHAHA! And he just ate those bambams without any consent.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts