Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started watching tennis there were a lot of great players from Sweden: Edberg, Enqvist, Norman, Björkman or Johansson.
At the end of 1999 (I know a long time ago) Sweden had eight top 100 players. Then it started getting worse, but at least there was Söderling.
Now players from Bolivia, Norway or Bosnia are higher ranked than the best Swedish player and I don't know if there are any Swedish players left besides the Ymer brothers.
What exactly went wrong there?

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Yeah. It's a shame. I find Swedish people very likeable and have generally been a fan of almost all decent Swedish players. I'd love to live in Sweden.

Sweden is great. At least seemingly.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
In short, the biggest reason I'd say is a decline of tennis passion in the country as a whole. Fewer kids taking up tennis in the 00s, while football and other sports kept going strong. When Soderling was forced to retire, there were no Swedish stars left at all who could inspire kids.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Remember the hype for Ymer. :D
Think the younger one has a bit of potential. Not going to reach the heights of the players listed in the OP but could definitely be a top 50 player at some point.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
All the Swedish boys who would have become tennis players in the past now want to be hockey players instead.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
All the Swedish boys who would have become tennis players in the past now want to be hockey players instead.
Of course, you're right that Sweden has a fair bit of young hockey talents (like Elias Petterson, the favorite for the Calder trophy, and Rasmus Dahlin, last years first pick in the draft), but Sweden was a hockey nation way back, even before the days of Borg, Edberg, and Wilander. As Orka_n said, there has been a decline in tennis passion as a whole, but what is the main reason?

Actually, I don't know for sure. But one annoying thing (from my own perspective as a tennis interested Swede) is that in my home country, a new sport like floorball has been immensely successful for a couple of decades. Still, it is hard to feel happy about the fact that Sweden has won 8 out of the 12 world championships since, apart from Sweden, the sport is only taken seriously in Finland.:banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts