Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was hell of a player in 2017, beating very good names, pushing big guys to the limit, being a force on fast surfaces, (especially on grass and fast HC), even won a ATP250. Thus he climbed as high as #36 in the rankings, now 1,5 years later, I am seeing him at #176, struggling at Asian Challangers. He is not even that old, just hit 30 five months ago.

What happend to the guy, so 2017 was a fluke? What may have caused this downfall?

https://www.flashscore.com/player/sugita-yuichi/n1fBowmS/

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
I didn't see it coming either, but it was indeed one year of running hot and now he's back where he always was before. The same thing happened to Go Soeda and Tatsuma Ito, who reached top 50/60 in one year and have been outside of the top 100 the rest of their career.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
I didn't see it coming either, but it was indeed one year of running hot and now he's back where he always was before. The same thing happened to Go Soeda and Tatsuma Ito, who reached top 50/60 in one year and have been outside of the top 100 the rest of their career.
Sugita is better than those two, IMO, but it's not really surprising that he couldn't hang in the Top 100 for long. He had a good run and a surprising ATP title, but too many points to defend for someone with his talent.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Watched him play a few weeks ago, he was making a lot more mistakes than before. Just playing sloppy, something he wasn't doing when he was beating top players. He got blown out by Soon-woo Kwon in Japan of all places like 10 days ago. Yea, the Korean's been playing well, but 6-3 6-2 was a bad look for Sugita as have been the past 2 years for him.

·
Registered
26,080 Posts
Someone who plays a full-time schedule is not a "disappeared player". Enough is enough.

I never understood his top 50 season, but thought he would stay in contact with the top 100.

An even more extreme case is Marsel Ilhan who is awful since late 2017 and doesn't look good on 15k level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah. I wonder why Sugita was not able to win.
But I think that it may be one caused by Sugita having operated for tumor of the back in the off-season of 2017.
Fortunately, it was not a cancer, but had to be eliminated.
Thereafter Sugita did not sweat to the right upper body.
Because it is different if the sense of the right arm is before an operation, I think that he cannot hit conventional serve and forehand.
He is struggling to rebuild his tennis now.
I believe and wait that he comes back to TOP100.

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah he is not disappeared, the thread was opened to talk about his sudden fall on rankings. Appreciate the responses, folks :yeah:

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
:lol: WTF. Sugita has been very active :lol:
Oops my bad sorry :eek: A case of just seeing a thread title and jumping in without reading the posts :facepalm: Although I guess everyone can now tell this player had at least "disappeared" to me. I guess even I can't follow every player in spite of my reputation here at MTF.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Watched him play a few weeks ago, he was making a lot more mistakes than before. Just playing sloppy, something he wasn't doing when he was beating top players. He got blown out by Soon-woo Kwon in Japan of all places like 10 days ago. Yea, the Korean's been playing well, but 6-3 6-2 was a bad look for Sugita as have been the past 2 years for him.

At least he won some matches in that tournament. Sugita was losing like every first or second round match in 2018. And Kwon is a good young player who went on to win the tournament and has beaten some decent players like McDonald, Jaziri, etc. He is a potential top 100 player. I was more surprised that Sugita lost in straights to Duckhee Lee in Shenzhen. Kind of sad to see but it happens so often that players fall after peaking. the tour can be brutal. also don't know if he's got any issues going outside of the sport. He may be able to find his feet in some of these challengers though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts