Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Bjorn Borg declared, I think Andy Murray will indeed win a Slam someday. We all know he’s an almost complete player minus a big serve, but his attitude is so temperamental. If he can get over that and finish matches, I think will be a Grand Slam champion, especially compared to his young peers Gasquet and Baghdatis. Honestly, even though Baghdatis reached a Slam final and Gasquet reached the Wimbledon semifinals, I think Murray has bigger chances of actually winning a Slam. I think Murray will win the Australian Open before winning other Slams because Murray found some magic there earlier this year when he should have defeated Nadal. Overall, I think Murray’s game suits any surface, but usually it’s the mental factor that determines a player’s chances of winning a Slam, and not their best surface.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
I liked his game at AO this year and I think that surface is quite appropriate for his style as it was not so fast but now that they have changed the surface I dont know what to say about his chances there.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
US Open.
And i predict he'll win it in 2009

Like Bjorn Borg declared, I think Andy Murray will indeed win a Slam someday. We all know he’s an almost complete player minus a big serve, but his attitude is so temperamental. If he can get over that and finish matches, I think will be a Grand Slam champion, especially compared to his young peers Gasquet and Baghdatis. Honestly, even though Baghdatis reached a Slam final and Gasquet reached the Wimbledon semifinals, I think Murray has bigger chances of actually winning a Slam. I think Murray will win the Australian Open before winning other Slams because Murray found some magic there earlier this year when he should have defeated Nadal. Overall, I think Murray’s game suits any surface, but usually it’s the mental factor that determines a player’s chances of winning a Slam, and not their best surface.
Gasquet has also made 2 MS finals(both lost against Federer),won 5 titles and made the TMC while Murray for example has still yet to make a MS final.
And above all,when Gasquet is at his best,his game is in my opinion more impressive than Murray's game when he is at his best(and i'm a big fan of Murray)......would Murray be able to produce more than 90 winners in a match for example??

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
He could litterally win any.

He is so diverse and has so much variety in his game unlike most of the one-trick ponies currently on the tour.

Outdoor medium-fast Hard is his favorite surface...so USO is definately where he will have some amazing results. And I know he thinks he will have the most sucess. He will win it at least once.

He spent alot of time playing on the clay in Barcelona as a teen....he's good on this surface and could do well its just atm I feel his body is not yet 'strong' enough yet to win 7 greulling matches at RG.
I know he's working on his strength so maube this will change!

I like his chances at Wimbledomn alot....quickish surface, big crowd support, most other players suck on grass only Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Roddick and Gasquet have any chance at Wimbledon and on a v.good day I'd expect him to beat all of them except maybe Federer. (he can beat Fed if he's having a fantastic day!)

AO - Dont see why he cant win this AO is the kind of slam anyone can win it dosent favour anyone in particular claycourtes, grasscourtes, and hardcourters can all win on Rebound ace.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
From today's (20/11/07) Age newspaper (Melbourne)

Australian Open Court Surface is speeding up

TENNIS Australia officials believe the new surface for the Australian Open is set to provide a faster, more attractive tournament in January.

The tournament will be played on new blue plexicushion courts, which have replaced the green Rebound Ace courts that were criticised by Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, who argued for a faster and more consistent surface.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said Tennis Australia tests have shown that the courts already were faster than the old Rebound Ace courts.

Tiley said the courts would get even faster by January 14, although they would still be slower than Wimbledon and the US Open.

"Our plan has been to be in the medium to medium-fast pace range. On the ITF (International Tennis Federation) scale, that's about 34 to 38, and we're very pleased to be able to tell everyone that scientific testing has got us right smack bang in the middle of that, which is where we want to be," Tiley said.

"It's going to get quite a bit of playing time and environment over a period of time, so we expect them to increase in speed by a couple of points.

"So from a scientific point of view, it has worked out great, and so far the player perception has been great but not everyone has hit on them. So once you've got 500 players hit on them, there'll probably be a range of perceptions, but we know scientifically now that at least we can back ourselves up with these tests."

He said the new surface would be more durable under heat stress than Rebound Ace. The remaining few courts at Melbourne Park will be completed by mid-December.
Probably doesn't help Murray much.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Wimbledon. It suits his game best, and there are very few people who can play on the surface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts