Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the match tonight and the commentators kept saying "Rafa just seems like he hasn't got a game plan for Nole and he doesn't know what to do", so the question is whats the best way to play Nole? Boris Becker talked about coming to the net which i guess is a good idea as trying to bang from the baseline with this guy clearly isn't working.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Unfortunately, given how many crazed Fedal fans are out there, this is not an entirely unrealistic scenario.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
work the corners, come to the net. But, the plan is too grueling on a surface like this over 3 out of 5 sets.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Monfils a few week s ago was showing how it could be done.. Forget about trying to whale it out with the guy from the baseline. You only tire yourself out.. First you have to serve faster then 80 mph (NADAL!!), every so often get to the net, and end it just to keep it in his mind.. Chip and Charge as well every so often. Keep depth on your FH's and BH's, attack that serve.. Look at how often Nadal broke him today, and Nadal isn't know for his ROS. ANd ffs don't float the ball back and hit it short.

Pretty much do everything Nadal DIDN"T DO!!

·
F***ing have it
17,678 Posts
Roger did it. Attacking tennis with great touch is the answer. Roger choked.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Monfils a few week s ago was showing how it could be done.. Forget about trying to whale it out with the guy from the baseline. You only tire yourself out.. First you have to serve faster then 80 mph (NADAL!!), every so often get to the net, and end it just to keep it in his mind.. Chip and Charge as well every so often. Keep depth on your FH's and BH's, attack that serve.. Look at how often Nadal broke him today, and Nadal isn't know for his ROS. ANd ffs don't float the ball back and hit it short.

Pretty much do everything Nadal DIDN"T DO!!
Oh don't remind me of Monfils!! :mad: , he had the game in the pit of his hand and as usual just threw it away, imo he's got enough defensive skills to create issues for Nole but his mental game just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I would devise giving a walkover, taking doping or plain retire faking a injury to not be embarrassed..

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
You can try attacking through him like Federer, but you might end up overhitting some points. I think you have to mix it up to a degree. Try some slice variations, then raise the attack, then slice variations, then attack. You have to throw him off his pace.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Depends on the weapons you've got. The surface you're playing on. On high speed, top level Tsonga can get him. On slow, Dolgo might have found the right tactic, some kind of paceless play and try to create openings for a winner or forced error. Power play wont work.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
To beat Nole you need a titanic serve and huge variety.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Be the Fed

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Just watch Roddick or Federer. Novak hates big servers, variance in play and players who ends points quickly. Federer has both. Roddick only has the serve, but someone it crept into Novak's head in the past. Novak appears to love the baseline rhythm Nadal throws at him. I mean you saw how Roger beat him at the French and how he should have beat him in the SF of the USO, and you saw how Nadal got into the match when he started going for his shots more, so it is pretty obvious how one should play him. Novak excels at creating openings during baseline rallies.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Attacking tennis from the ground and a big serve can get it done. Players like Federer, Berdych, Tsonga, and Soderling can beat him if they play their game, but it's difficult because they have to keep their level high. I think Murray can also beat him with consistency and the added variety that he has, compared to Nadal.

I don't think Roddick is a bad matchup for Djokovic at all. Big serve and then nothing. A lot of people were saying that Roddick would trouble Rafa, but that turned into a practice session. Roddick is useless against most top players at this point.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You have to get him off rhythm. He is like a machine. It's why Murray, and Dogopolov and even the arrogant one can errors out of him. He's too srong to be overpowered by Rafa right now.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Roger did it. Attacking tennis with great touch is the answer. Roger choked.
This. Federer has the perfect gameplan for Nole, even at his old age. He just choked it away.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts