Mens Tennis Forums banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
They grew up watching aggressive tennis and don't play to get the ball in play but to finish the point. Plus they can't do what Djoker can do.

Props to Djoker, he knows what works and is getting it done know matter the means.
So, basically you say that all other players grew up watching and learning just how to play aggressive tennis and be mindless ball-bashers? Talk about not having a plan B.
Yikes, other players are then even more stupid than I thought 🤐

·
Registered
23,695 Posts
What makes it hard to win against Djokovic is simply how he plays the big points.

He plays them patiently and doesn't give anything for free.

So what does this mean for someone challenging Djokovic?

Well, you need to:
  • have a good return (if you're returning)
  • have a good 2nd serve (if you're serving) -- I'm assuming most ATP players coming close to challenging Djokovic will have a good 1st serve
  • have patience
  • hit your shots cleanly
  • be able to rally when balls are landing on your baseline
  • not have a clear weakness that can be exploited in a rally
  • be physically ready if the point goes the distance
  • be able to turn defense into offense in a controlled way (requires both technical and mental discipline)
  • resist going for ego shots (unless your name is Stanislas which you legally changed to Stan)

So... good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, basically you say that all other players grew up watching and learning just how to play aggressive tennis and be mindless ball-bashers? Yikes, other players are then even more stupid than I thought 🤐
That is exactly what the next gen are apart from med. They grew up ball bashing thiem style.

·
Registered
14,444 Posts
Yeah he's basically a black hole, sucking what's exciting in a tennis match, turning it into a soulless error based grind where his higher percentage of boring monotone consistent ball pushing makes him prevail in the end.
Too good this GOAT.
Effectively, yes. He is better than anyone ever at making others play a match on his terms. A beautiful sight for those who recognize that there is more to tennis than hitting flashy winners.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What makes it hard to win against Djokovic is simply how he plays the big points.

He plays them patiently and doesn't give anything for free.

So what does this mean for someone challenging Djokovic?

Well, you need to:
  • have a good return (if you're returning)
  • have a good 2nd serve (if you're serving) -- I'm assuming most ATP players coming close to challenging Djokovic will have a good 1st serve
  • have patience
  • hit your shots cleanly
  • be able to rally when balls are landing on your baseline
  • not have a clear weakness that can be exploited in a rally
  • be physically ready if the point goes the distance
  • be able to turn defense into offense in a controlled way (requires both technical and mental discipline)
  • resist going for ego shots (unless your name is Stanislas which you legally changed to Stan)

So... good luck.
Enkle saker🤣

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Two things made me like Novak when he was a young challenger -
1. He hit the ball hard at difficult angles (difficult for a player to hit and difficult for an opponent to respond to).
2. He seemed to be playing tennis chess in how he would attack an opponent and it made me think a lot about how he was approaching each opponent. I learned more about tennis by watching his shot patterns than I thought I could.

I felt one thing held him back in the 2006-2010 half decade. He never seemed to be in as good shape as the absolute top players. He would get in a big match and play a world beater set but not be able to sustain or he would have leads and retire against lesser players. I thought there was some mysterious limit to his fitness (maybe a breathing problem, etc) as he seemed to be in great shape in his appearance but not able to sustain it over long matches in too many cases.

Once his diet got corrected his great skills were allowed to be shown throughout tournaments rather than in flashes. Even then his mental strength in Slam finals was lacking until Becker joined.

Now he appears to be the fittest player on the planet both physically and mentally since his comeback. Players can beat him over 3 sets but it has become very difficult to beat him over 5. Deep respect to Rafa for the pounding he gave the current version of Nole in FO2020.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
So, why don't others implement same strategy against him if that's all he does in matches? 🤔 It should be very easy thing to do, no?
They don't have the physicality to do it, it's akin to asking why don't other sprinters run as fast as Bolt or Flo-Jo.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Djokovic's game has many strengths same as many other top players and weaknesses too.

But three points:
- Top most real x-factor in Novak's game that is: Physical elements. Guy can outlast everyone. Like French open finals. The fact that he knows he can physically outlast opponents by dragging into long rallies - gives him more peace of mind and easier strategies than other 'attack based' players who have to get more creative for strategies. This ease of pressure, makes him 'not choke' that is mentally also he is not tired because, physically he can outlast every one. This is the major reason. People usually underrate the mental pressure on a player if they were to always creatively come up with solutions.. this is well documented in Fedal match up. Always an uphill for Federer against Nadal, who simply has one strategy over Federer. He knows it is a matter of when the backhand breaks, and he was much better physically than Roger. Novak raised it up another notch. "I dare you to hit through me.. you can make excellent shots.. I will still retrieve, and force you to make one more. "

- The other x-factor is his return. He can put unbelievable pressure on opponents with his return. This is a very good weapon that is on par with Federer's serve if we were to speak to strengths.

- Movement. Big three are deceptively close in movement at their best. While Roger is more balanced .. Novak and Rafa are unbelievable movers.. Of course that is due to the fact that they have more stamina than others that they can keep it up for hours and hours.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So, why don't others implement same strategy against him if that's all he does in matches? 🤔 It should be very easy thing to do, no?
I didn't say it's easy. I said it's boring, dull and soulless.
It's worrying to see how many people conflate effectiveness with beauty, it tells me that you can't really grasp what the latter is.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's why Wawrinka is an anomaly.

Had to play near perfect tennis to beat Novak.
Exactly. Stan has a mediocre average game that's why he always had issues with consistency but for that he had an insanely good peak level. His performance against Novak in 2015 is one of the best ever performances in a slam final in my opinion.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I didn't say it's easy. I said it's boring, dull and soulless.
It's worrying to see how many people conflate effectiveness with beauty, it tells me that you can't really grasp what the latter is.
Djokovic played a more exciting brand of tennis in 2006-10 and won 1 slam with tons of fitness issues and serve problems

Clearly perfecting his game had worked for him

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Foremost, the main thing for me was seeing Novak play in real life. The TV and the camera angles can’t really portray what this man is doing on court. Depth and movement is something you can surely notice, but the change of pace, slice variation and topspin change. On TV, some shots look identical, when in reality, there is so much variation on bounce, spin, depth…

Seeing him play a high intensity match, I can only say that Djokovic posseses some kind of ultimate tennis software in his head, that enables him to predict, anticipate, pick the right shots and ADJUST his game while in a rally. He is just picking his opponent’s game apart, shot after shot until they collapse. Beautiful, like a cross between chess and a boxing punch combination.
Spot on. I watched RG 15 final in person, and there is so much TV does not convey, the sound of the ball hissing off racquets, the ballet dance of the two players sliding on the court and the indescribably beauty of the sport at its best. Literally any popular sport - when played by the best of the best - becomes art. Djokovic was fantastic that day, and the way Wawrinka blasted past him was also something better understood in person, those powerful thuds and the way his ball goes through the court. Djokovic pulled every trick that day, varying spin, height, depth, but Wawrinka was in the zone, could not miss the whole day, like a cheat code.

·
Registered
22,014 Posts
Djokovic perfected and mainstreamed the hard court slide on the men's side, while many other have tried and failed. His ground game reminds me of a less aggressive Kim Clijsters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Spot on. I watched RG 15 final in person, and there is so much TV does not convey, the sound of the ball hissing off racquets, the ballet dance of the two players sliding on the court and the indescribably beauty of the sport at its best. Literally any popular sport - when played by the best of the best - becomes art. Djokovic was fantastic that day, and the way Wawrinka blasted past him was also something better understood in person, those powerful thuds and the way his ball goes through the court. Djokovic pulled every trick that day, varying spin, height, depth, but Wawrinka was in the zone, could not miss the whole day, like a cheat code.
I love this post, still want to make small, yet significant comment.

He lost 10-15% of his leg power, as a result of playing three days in a row. That was the dealbreaker eventually for him. He couldn‘t attack, force errors from Stan or counterpunch as usual.

Would he have been able to rest, he would have tamed that beast that Stan was that day. Incredible task, but doable for the guy, who dismantles shotmakers and ballbashers on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
I love this post, still want to make small, yet significant comment.

He lost 10-15% of his leg power, as a result of playing three days in a row. That was the dealbreaker eventually for him. He couldn‘t attack, force errors from Stan or counterpunch as usual.

Would he have been able to rest, he would have tamed that beast that Stan was that day. Incredible task, but doable for the guy, who dismantles shotmakers and ballbashers on a regular basis.
No way, I don't think anyone bar 2008 Nadal was beating Wawrinka that day. Djokovic was not as bad as people made him out to be.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts