Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tsitsipas has come a long way from a year ago. Technically speaking he has a pretty complete game, semi akin to Federer. Volley, serve, forehand and pretty good backhand.

His fitness has also come a long way, he doesn't look winded after a 10 shot rally. He is also quite a bit quicker.

But what does he need to break through and win a match like today?

For me I think he can actually improve his fitness even more. I think he can become 10% faster than now. Also he can improve his down the line shots and his ability to get to net.

What do you think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would say service and volley game needs to be improved a lot. All the youngsters these days are just concentrating on their base line games( not a wise idea in long run). He is only 20. Not to forget that Nick kyrgios, Zverev, Dmitriov were also once like him. Its the consistency and longevity which eludes him to be the great. For that service is pretty essential. Rafa is the only person in tennis history to have so much success despite having poor service and volley(Thanks to the clay surface) else he would be having only 6 slams and 10 masters.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
More time and experience. In another year or two, he's going to be terrifying. Still believe he's gonna win one of the next 8 slams.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
He needs to improve his ROS. The problem is also mental. He needs to calm and play within himself.

Also tone down, and calm down. You are not anywhere close to Djoko, Fed or Rafa. Outside of our tennis community many people have no clue who you are.

Fight with your racquet. :boxing:

·
Registered
346 Posts
He needs to come off youtube and social media because the thing is, he probably doesnt even know its costing him or doesnt want to admit it

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Definitely needs to improve his ROS. He couldn't muster up a single break point opportunity today. No doubt Djokovic played really well, but it's not like he is some Karlovic/Isner level server. So he deinitely has to improve in that regard.

I would also like to see him improve his slice and use it a bit more as an attacking option.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think sometimes his mindset is that he's won a point when he hasn't quite done enough with it, so he can get taken by surprise by passing shots, especially at the net.

I think he has already improved heaps with ensuring his shots fall deep in the court - they tend to fall shorter when he doesn't quite get it right, which was what Djoker was able to punish in the final - but as I said, it's already improved, and I think it will come.

First serve percentage needs to improve and he needs to fix that ball toss.

He's got the building blocks though, it's just about refining it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
His BH is poor. All Djokovic did was hitting to his BH to get a short reply. I felt like watching Djokovic VS Del Potro yesterday, same strategy.

·
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His BH is poor. All Djokovic did was hitting to his BH to get a short reply. I felt like watching Djokovic VS Del Potro yesterday, same strategy.
This is also true, but Tsitsipas's backhand is definitely not terrible and is at least above average.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some sort of combination between movement, fitness and anticipation (so basically defense). So many times it was obvious in the final that Djokovic was going to play a cross-court shot when Tsitsipas was in the corner, but he failed to get to the ball for whatever reason.

Sometimes it seemed like he was tired, other times that he couldn't get there quick enough or that he didn't see where Djokovic was going to play the ball. On all those occasions I thought Nole, Nadal, Murray, even Fed would have gotten to them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
He is fine as is. Only that he needs to add some muscle to his right arm. He need not be compared with Fedull in every discussion, his game and approach is different.

·
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He is fine as is. Only that he needs to add some muscle to his right arm. He need not be compared with Fedull in every discussion, his game and approach is different.
You don't think he can get any quicker?

·
Registered
958 Posts
A lot of people here talking about putting on more muscle, honestly I remember him a few years ago and I have to say he looks much stronger now, so to me that's not an issue.

Looking back at some of the matches he lost in the past year or so the main problem was his serve was missing in important games and that cost him. Everything else is fine or en route to being fine from what I can tell. He's playing doubles, so his volleys will improve (they are pretty good right now anyway). His defense is solid, he's quicker than most people think. So I wanna see him improve his serve and just cruise through service games the way Federer does (or did). This way he'll only have to worry about maybe 1 or 2 service games per set and not get into 30-30 situations all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts