Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
PamV said:
Yeah! I might start a thread on whether or not Nadal looks like a big fat ham.
lol. that would be a laugh. off topic. this may sound funny but whenever you post,i instantly think of mirkaland and vice versa. i dont know why but it always happens! are you sisters!?! :lol:

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
PamV said:
Interesting. I sort of hope that Agassi could make it to the TMC instead of Gaudio. Gaudio was rather boring to put it kindly in last year's TMC.
I love Gaudio but he can be such a mental case, but he seems to have more confidence this year than end of last year. I love his BH :hearts: and he is more of a stylish player, so I wouldnt mind seeing him over Andre, I just hope he doesnt give up

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
PamV said:
Yeah! I might start a thread on whether or not Nadal looks like a big fat ham.
Why? No thread? Then I'll answer you here, YES :devil: :devil:

Seriously, PamV, you are getting too worried at the moment. There is possibility that Roger will lose his No.1 ranking to Nadal this year, but for me, the possibility is rather slim. I'm not an expert in calculating the points, but if Nadal does better than Roger in the rest of the year, he will have the chance. Is it a big IF? I think yes. Anyway, all this happens suddenly when Roger not to say other big names on hard courts didn't appear in action. Of course Roger might turn up losing early in Cincy and US Open, but it's more likely that he will do well in both.

As long as Roger stays healthy and comes out to play, my focus will be always on him, not sb who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same league as Roger (at least for me).

I hope Roger doesn't have those points and rankings and Nadal so in mind. He should fully concentrate on his own stuff, eg, keep fit as well as he can and doesn't play like shit. At the moment, it's still his position to lose. He should know better than us that if he does normally well in the rest of the year, his position being No.1 is still very safe.

Everything will be back to normal after Cincy begins ;)

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
I seriously think some of his fans are more worried about Nadal and points and the ranking than he is. But you're right he needs to worry about himself and not be thinking about other players or the race, ect. He needs to focus on one match at a time. Rafa's been playing well, but I still don't think it's a given that he'll go far in Cincy or the US Open. Hopefuly Roddick and Hewitt play well this week. I'd love to see how he fares against them when they're in top form. In Montreal He faced one good player (Moya) and one great player (Agassi) and they both took a set off him. I don't think his Cincy draw is as favorable as Montreal was.

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Roger needs to win US Open :D

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I honestly don't think Roger nor we should worry too much about Entry Ranking, ATP Race and Nadal. I think everything's under control. Nadal's definitely the kind of player that would take advantage if something happens to Federer, just like he did in Montreal. But if Roger plays his full schedule, it does seem a bit hard to take the #1 away from him.

He should focused on his own game and draw, and let things flow. I doubt Nadal will constantly be in finals against him on hardcourts. I was rather surprised he lost sets to Moya and Agassi, to be honest - even though I wanted both to beat him. I'd like to see how he matches up against other players to know the real stuff.

Rogi didn't play Madrid AMS, Basel and Paris AMS last year, so he has tons of points to gain in those tournaments, and they're all played on Nadal's worst surface (other than grass) = hard indoors and carpet indoors. Roger playing all these tournaments, I'm sure he'd do better than Nadal in most of them, enough to be #1. And at the Masters Cup, they'll likely be in separate groups and depending on his group, Nadal might not even get through his RR matches, but could also end up meeting Roger in the SFs. It's gonna be interesting, I guess.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
lucashg said:
I honestly don't think Roger nor we should worry too much about Entry Ranking, ATP Race and Nadal.

He should focused on his own game and draw, and let things flow. I doubt Nadal will constantly be in finals against him on hardcourts. I was rather surprised he lost sets to Moya and Agassi, to be honest - even though I wanted both to beat him. I'd like to see how he matches up against other players to know the real stuff.

Rogi didn't play Madrid AMS, Basel and Paris AMS last year, so he has tons of points to gain in those tournaments, and they're all played on Nadal's worst surface (other than grass) = hard indoors and carpet indoors.
OH of course, I wouldn't want Roger to get distracted by all this, I just am the type to ponder all the possiblities. I would like to see Nadal have to play more of the other top guys also. Nadal hasn't been pushed that much yet meeting the top 5, as far as I am concerned. I'd like to see him have to play Agassi, Safin, Federer back to back or Roddick, Hewitt then Federer.....which we might end up seeing in Cincy. Think of all the tests Roger has had. Remember that Agassi wind match QF in the USOpen 2004? Remember the Safin tie TMC tie break?

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
I agree, I'd like to see Nadal face Hewitt, Safin, Roddick on a regular basis to really get a feel for how he'll be on HC. Of course Montreal proved he can play on the surface and will be a threat, but I still don't think he was really tested there, and he smartly took advantage of weaker draw. Again, I'm not trying to downplay his win. But lets see how he fares in Cincy where I think his draw is tougher. Berdych is his R1 opponent, he's a youngster who shows promise - beat Fed in the Olympics. Also has Stepanek in his quarter, and could end up playing Roddick in the quarters.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
win Cincy to make up lost pts at Montreal, win USO, win Basel or Madrid and TMC Shanghai... oh, and hope that someone out there can stop Nadal in the process! ;) that's all!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
mirkaland said:
I agree, I'd like to see Nadal face Hewitt, Safin, Roddick on a regular basis to really get a feel for how he'll be on HC. Of course Montreal proved he can play on the surface and will be a threat, but I still don't think he was really tested there, and he smartly took advantage of weaker draw. Again, I'm not trying to downplay his win. But lets see how he fares in Cincy where I think his draw is tougher. Berdych is his R1 opponent, he's a youngster who shows promise - beat Fed in the Olympics. Also has Stepanek in his quarter, and could end up playing Roddick in the quarters.
On paper the draw is definitely tougher in Cincy. We still have to see what kind of form the top guys have. If Roddick loses to Melzer or if Hewitt loses to Andreev in the 1st round then that half becomes weaker and would again give Nadal a lucky break. I feel like I don't know at all what to expect. If Safin is playing like he was in AO then that wouldn't be fair to Roger. LOL!

Yes, you are right about Stepanek and Berdych. As I remember Stepanek was tough for Nadal in the first set but then he'd run out of gas after that. Maybe on hardcourt it would be different.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
RogiFan88 said:
win Cincy to make up lost pts at Montreal, win USO, win Basel or Madrid and TMC Shanghai... oh, and hope that someone out there can stop Nadal in the process! ;) that's all!
Oh is that all? Well then....

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
PamV said:
On paper the draw is definitely tougher in Cincy. We still have to see what kind of form the top guys have. If Roddick loses to Melzer or if Hewitt loses to Andreev in the 1st round then that half becomes weaker and would again give Nadal a lucky break. I feel like I don't know at all what to expect. If Safin is playing like he was in AO then that wouldn't be fair to Roger. LOL!

Yes, you are right about Stepanek and Berdych. As I remember Stepanek was tough for Nadal in the first set but then he'd run out of gas after that. Maybe on hardcourt it would be different.
Roddick should be fine. He is playing his punching bag in melzer and henman is in bad form. He should play nadal pretty soon

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
Yep, that's all, Pam... ;)

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Reactions: lsy

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
A brief answer to the question without any tricky calculations: Roger has to do better in the big tourneys than Nadal;)

Reactions: lsy and Mrs. B

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
OK, to clarify a few things:

First of all, who gives a flying f**k what the piggy fans think about this thread. This is a valid discussion and it shouldn't be hindered just because some people are worried about what they might think/say. The players will do the talking with their racquets at the end of the day.

Second, as to the ranking issue. At the end of the year the entry ranking system merges with the race insofar as whoever finished in a certain position in the race will have that same position in the entry ranking. In fact, at the end of the year for every player: race points x 5 = entry points.

Third, to answer the question posed in the title of the thread- he needs to defend his U.S. Open as that is the remaining event that is most "points heavy" in terms of what he needs to defend and he needs reasonable results in the remaining TMS and of course TMC events.

More than a matter of staying ahead in terms of ranking points he needs to win the Open so that in people's minds he will remain a legitimate #1- even if he finishes the year ranked #1 but Nadal ends the year having won the French and U.S. Opens while Federer only won Wimbledon, people will not feel Roger is the deserved year end #1 and in this case they would be right. Same thing goes if the situation is reversed and Roger wins Wimbledon and the U.S. Open and Nadal finishes #1 having won only the French.

In terms of numbers, Nadal can overtake the top spot even if Roger does win the U.S. Open. The gap between the two players now stands at 2,145 entry ranking points- Roger has 6,500 points and Piggy has 4,355 (I go by the entry points as they are a better reflection of the ranking IMHO). I will try to ballpark the amount of points lost/gained in the following scenario. Suppose Roger loses his next match in Cincinnati and Piggy wins the event- Roger will have gained a few points by advancing one round further than last year but those points are insignificant. Piggy lost in R1 last year so a win would earn him 500 points. So that is around a 500 point bridge in the current gap. The gap would then stand at 1,645 points going into the U.S. Open.

Suppose then Roger were to win the U.S. Open by beating piggy in the final he would not lose any points but would not gain any either. Piggy, on the other hand, having lost in the second round in 04 and making the final in 05 would gain around 700 points. So another 700 points will be deducted from that gap after the Open leaving Roger's lead around 945 entry points.

Now, assuming Roger again does not play in the two fall TMS events or loses early in them he will not have lost any points but not gained any either, or maybe a paultry sum at best. Assuming Nadal does win both having lost early in one and not played in the other winning 2 TMS would earn him 1,000 and that would close the gap and make Nadal #1 by a slim margin. That would in effect clinch the year end #1 spot for him since Federer cannot gain anymore points from the TMC (defending champ having won all of his round robin matches last year) and Nadal will not lose any points even if he does not win a match.

Now, continuing that line of though, were Roger to lose all his TMC matches and Nadal to win all his matches there and the event with it, Federer will have lost 750 points, Nadal will have gained 750 points so Nadal will have finished the year ranked #1 by a margin of around 1,500 entry points. This would be the worst case scenario for Roger excluding his U.S. Open title defense.

However, this outlined scenario is completely extreme and highly unrealistical but it does indeed show that if Roger wins the U.S. Open and the TMC that he would have more or less clinched the year end #1. Therefore, those two events will likely be the key in determining wether or not he finishes the year ranked #1.

Sorry for my long winded post, kudos to those of you who had the patience to read it :p but I hope it did help clarify a few things.

41 - 60 of 372 Posts