Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does Rogie need to change in his game plan/style to start beating Djokovic again on a regular basis, or more regular basis? For a Bo3? For a Bo5? Your thoughts? Will Rogie ever beat Djokovic again in an official match?

·
Registered
671 Posts
What does Rogie need to change in his game plan/style to start beating Djokovic again on a regular basis, or more regular basis? For a Bo3? For a Bo5? Your thoughts? Will Rogie ever beat Djokovic again in an official match?
A DeLorean from Back to the Future traveling 88 MPH with a time destination date of January 2004 that allows Federer to go get the 22 year old version of himself.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, so in other words, it won't happen... On a consistent basis, likely not then, but will Rogie ever beat Djokovic in a Bo3 match again? Bo5? I have serious doubts about a Bo5, but I think a Bo3 is still possible (i.e. very close at 2018 Paris SF)!!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can live with Rogie beating Djokovic in Bo3 matches (i.e. Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami, clay season excluding FO, Canada, Cincinnati, Shanghai, Basel, Paris, London WTF matches, etc...) Basically any non-grand slam matchups!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Younger legs. Federer is unlucky in this sense, he played Djokovic many more times after he is 30.

He has the correct game to win but explosiveness and endurance is poor nowadays.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Honestly in the current situation, his only chance would be on grass with a crazy good serving performance - something like 70% 1st serves in and 80+% unreturnables. Even then, he would likely have to go through 3 to 5 TBs, get a mini break and hold all his serve points.

In the future, if Fed was crazy enough to still be playing after Nole's baseline game declined - say, in 4-5 years, he would have a chance on fast surfaces in a serve & volley contest. I can totally imagine 43 year old Fed beating 37 year old Nole 76 67 67 76 13-12 in Wimbledon R2 with 5 rallies in the whole match :D

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
He needs to get back the fearless instinct he had from AO 17 to Wim 17.
He started goofing around after that, only peaking for exhos. Still dispatched Nadal in Shanghai, when he had the killer instinct back momentarily.
Fed was seriously lucky to win AO 18. Almost choked it away to Cilic when he should have won it in straights, 4 sets max.

Anyway as a fan, even if he hangs up his boots today I can't ask for more. Old man has given me countless moments of happiness, the most when he went past Pete in Wim 09 right after the career GS at RG 09.
I was going through a bit of low in my life then, and that moment motivated me to give my best in my education and career.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Play like Simon at the AO2016, frustrate Nole to the point that Djokovic makes 100 UE ... Fed can also try Chang's strategy against Ivan Lendl, FO1989 ... keep sending moon balls and fluffs ...

Something like that.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd think in Bo5 no, Rogie won't beat Djokovic, but in Bo3 yes, Rogie has chances for sure (i.e. 2018 Paris SF was very close)....

·
Registered
509 Posts
You people cease to amaze me... Federer is going to be 40 in 2 years, Djokovic is barely over 30.

Federer can beat 20 year old guys who are just good, or 30 year old guys who are just good, no matter the physical decline, his skills are just so much better... but he can't beat an ATG that is so much younger, its ludicrous... at 34-35 he could still do it, but he is too old now I think, no way he beats Djokovic in best of 5 ever again, in best of 3 he still has chances but has to serve lights out.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking Rogie might win Dubai or Indian Wells for #100, possibly even beating Djokovic to win in Indian Wells, for example!!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts