Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Fed will have to fire on all cylinders to have a chance of beating DJ. A vintage performance is required.
Ofcourse if faker himself plays poorly for once against Fed then that will boost Fed. Since it's a QF, he may play a DJ who is slightly off his game and that might be enough to take him out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Can he beat him? How to do it? What should he do? What tactics? :boxing:
He needs to beat Millman (god, I never know if it's Milmann, Millman or Millmann :D) and Djokovic has 2 games ahead first. Chill out dude

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
A 2011 RG semi like servebotting performance. No other chance, his ground game is simply not good enough to beat Djokovic and never ever will it be in the remainder of their encounters...

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
I feel like he gives Djokovic way too much respect. Nadal was his toughest matchup, yet he turned around the rivalry. Why can't he do the same against Djokovic? Because he just doesn't believe in himself against Djokovic, which he needs to. Make no mistake about it. Despite winning Wimbledon and Cincinnati, Djokovic himself isn't playing a very high level. A few moments of brilliance, but overall very average. I mean even in this tournament, he has lost sets to Fucsovics and Sandgren of all people. He is nowhere near his peak level. Federer needs to believe in himself against Djokovic. if he can beat Dull 5 times in a row, this is no reason why he can't beat Faker, who is playing at a level much lower than Dull was in early 2017. The key thing for Federer is BELIEF.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Patience and self-belief. Their matches recently have been characterised by Federer's desire to constantly be the aggressor, which really just plays into Novak's hands. Fed is a match for Novak in extended neutral rallies if he plays smartly. He needs to avoid high-intensity rallying from side to side, use his slice effectively to maneuver and frustrate Novak, and then attack without inhibition when the opportunity arises. Del Potro's gameplan vs Fed is actually what I think Fed should be using against Novak.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Novak's groundstrokes have declined...Federer can hang in with Novak in baseline rallies right now....Roger's problem in Cincy wasn't rallies...it was his ROS...he was actually doing pretty decently in rallies for most part when he was able to get the return into play. It wasn't like Novak was dictating rallies or anything.

Roger's ROS in this tournament so far has been better than Cincy. I would say Roger's best option would be to just go for chip return and ensure that he puts the ball back in play...also mix up things, take the pace off the ball, probably needs to use slice more .Novak has lost some power when compared to 2-3 years back and taking pace off the ball will frustrate him a bit more. Most importantly, Roger shouldn't get rattled and implode if he gets broken or hits few bad errors...due to some reason, I have been seeing this kind of behavior a lot more from Roger this year...he has got to be patient in moments like those.

·
justice for all
13,116 Posts
A 2011 RG semi like servebotting performance. No other chance, his ground game is simply not good enough to beat Djokovic and never ever will it be in the remainder of their encounters...
I agree. But this is assuming faker does not drop his level which is perfectly possible these days too.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Patience and self-belief. Their matches recently have been characterised by Federer's desire to constantly be the aggressor, which really just plays into Novak's hands. Fed is a match for Novak in extended neutral rallies if he plays smartly. He needs to avoid high-intensity rallying from side to side, use his slice effectively to maneuver and frustrate Novak, and then attack without inhibition when the opportunity arises. Del Potro's gameplan vs Fed is actually what I think Fed should be using against Novak.
This. In the Cincinnati final they won about the same amounts of 5+ rallies. If Federer's ROS is better and does not pull the trigger unnecessarily early like in Cincinnati he would certainly have a good chance.

So far Djokovic is definitely not playing better than in Cincinnati but Federer is I think.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
He should try to slice more and not rush to finish points. Still, I think Federer will employ similar tactics as in Cincinnati but with much better realization. His BH must be clicking if he is going to have a chance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel like he gives Djokovic way too much respect. Nadal was his toughest matchup, yet he turned around the rivalry. Why can't he do the same against Djokovic? Because he just doesn't believe in himself against Djokovic, which he needs to. Make no mistake about it. Despite winning Wimbledon and Cincinnati, Djokovic himself isn't playing a very high level. A few moments of brilliance, but overall very average. I mean even in this tournament, he has lost sets to Fucsovics and Sandgren of all people. He is nowhere near his peak level. Federer needs to believe in himself against Djokovic. if he can beat Dull 5 times in a row, this is no reason why he can't beat Faker, who is playing at a level much lower than Dull was in early 2017. The key thing for Federer is BELIEF.
Hmm..interesting 0:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts