Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected the players to use it a lot more than they did. If the players dont abuse it, then I wouldnt mind seeing the unlimited challenges everywhere.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I cannot believe I'm agreeing with the devil HERself (Mary Carillo), but I've always said that if the technology is there, why limit it? I think tonight showed just how well the players CAN use it, and I see no harm in making all challenges where offered unlimited.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I think 2 to the 3 incorrect challenges per set is plenty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think 2 to the 3 correct challenges per set is plenty.
Shouldn't it be 2-3 incorrect challenges?

Anyway, I believe 99.99% of players will honor it and play fair to an unlimited challenge system. But the few black sheep are all it takes to screw up the entire system by abusing it. Imagine constant challenges from a player suffering from a temp cramp while waiting for it to go away. I do think they need some limits, or penalties for excess wrongful challenges.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
I like it.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Blake and Youznhy used it a lot today, even on balls when the opponent was at 40 or AD, they challenged and then sit on their chairs, they knew they lost the point, but they challenged just in case..

I dont know.. i dont like it too much...

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
If a player is abusing it, the umpire can intervene so that is good.

I think its good.

·
Registered
27,354 Posts
I cannot believe I'm agreeing with the devil HERself (Mary Carillo), but I've always said that if the technology is there, why limit it? I think tonight showed just how well the players CAN use it, and I see no harm in making all challenges where offered unlimited.
Best avatar ever.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It worked just fine, didn't delay the match in any way. I say unlimited challenges is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I thought it was interesting to be honest.

You want the match to be won, not given away due to a stupid error. It didnt take THAT much time to put up your finger and have a picture come out at least 10 secounds later. Sure they challenged alot, but I am sure they justed wanted to see if the call was correct.

Similar to when your doing work and your double checking everything to make sure it is correct. If they knew the ball was good and just started going back to their chairs, it wouldnt have been that much of a time difference, maybe the 10 secounds were added to the change over.

And notice it was only on big points (well most of them). When I heard it was going unlimited, I thought they would be challenging left and right, and for the most part they didnt. I'm fine with it when it comes to duece or AD.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Shouldn't it be 2-3 incorrect challenges?

Anyway, I believe 99.99% of players will honor it and play fair to an unlimited challenge system. But the few black sheep are all it takes to screw up the entire system by abusing it. Imagine constant challenges from a player suffering from a temp cramp while waiting for it to go away. I do think they need some limits, or penalties for excess wrongful challenges.
unlimited challenge system. I like it.

you said, ""wrongful challenges"". something it's very very close, tought to say that it's out or on the line

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
it is a good idea, but really need the technology on all the courts, not fare its just there for the center/major ones...

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
I thought it was interesting to be honest.

You want the match to be won, not given away due to a stupid error. It didnt take THAT much time to put up your finger and have a picture come out at least 10 secounds later. Sure they challenged alot, but I am sure they justed wanted to see if the call was correct.

Similar to when your doing work and your double checking everything to make sure it is correct. If they knew the ball was good and just started going back to their chairs, it wouldnt have been that much of a time difference, maybe the 10 secounds were added to the change over.

And notice it was only on big points (well most of them). When I heard it was going unlimited, I thought they would be challenging left and right, and for the most part they didnt. I'm fine with it when it comes to duece or AD.
Yep, nothing wrong with unlimited challenges in such an important event, worked fine in the final last year too.
I read it's gonna be 3 (instead of 2) incorrect challenges per set next season anyway?

·
Registered
677 Posts
It should have been used much more than it was. They should be challenging EVERYTHING that's close.

Eventually, the lines should be called by hawkeye. Get the call right.
Hawkeye can make noise and a sound when a ball is out.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I expected the players to use it a lot more than they did. If the players dont abuse it, then I wouldnt mind seeing the unlimited challenges everywhere.
It should be limited so that's why we need umpire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts