Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so from what I see during the 1st Set where both Fed and Pospisil played decently, Pospisil has a big forehand, a good weapon that would get him control of rallies while he has good touch at the net (did outplay Fed on one of those). However, he is quite ranked low for someone with good weapons IMO. Except for the serve, I think Pospisil seem to have a more complete game than Raonic (I hope I am not bashing him for this, but it is just that I prefer Pospisil's game but at the same time you would wonder what if Vasek improves to play better if he could ever make his strengths shine out), moves well for someone of his height, and good net touch. In short he reminds me of a lesser Berdych (but is more daring at the net).

What do you think he should improve, to go up the ranks? It would be interesting to revisit this if he does improve, seeing what weakness he minimizes and strengths he improved.

P.S. Please minimize the troll. But this is MTF, so whatever... Haha. :lol:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The fitness is a huge one, Vasek is always complaining about being tired. If Vasek hired a fitness trainer who travels with him I think his ranking will go up. The fitness affects the mind in Vasek recent losses he got tired. Remember this week Vasek played doubles as well. Finally, Vasek needs to see a sports psychologist he needs to find a way to play with intensity and urgency on big points. The mentality of Vasek needs to IMPROVE! I read the quotes after the Federer loss and I am disappointed apparently Federer is his hero. I don't think Vasek believed he could win even though he had opportunities in his past two matches to beat Federer. Vasek seems a bit IMMATURE in the sense he lacks a killer instinct. The guy has MASSIVE POTENTIAL! The problem is the lack of fitness and Vasek mind. It is ultimately up to Vasek to decide does he want to be a journeyman top 100 or top 50 pro making a decent living? OR does Vasek aspire for greatness and want more out of his career? Is Vasek happy being in Milos Raonic shadow? Does he like being the Canadian male number two or does Vasek want MORE? The Canadian media REFUSE to ask Vasek the tough questions.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
While Vasek's game is more complete, he doesn't have that 1 over the top thing that Milos has, the serve. Vasek is decent at a lot of stuff, actually really good compared to the average player at a lot of stuff, above average serve, above average forehand, above average net game, but Milos has a bombing serve, that wins him a lot of matches because he almost never gets broken.

If Vasek had Milos' head he'd be top 20 no question. He has the game to be there but he constantly blows it mentally. That's what he needs most improving in.

Even with his current mental state he should be higher than where he is, he was injured for like 3 months, and 3 months after that his confidence was in the negatives, he would have been better had he had amnesia and completely forgotten everything about his tennis career. Even if he continues to play like he has lately, playing decent, but mix in some mental lapses he'd be top 30 imo, 6 months of nothing results will kill you.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
While Vasek's game is more complete, he doesn't have that 1 over the top thing that Milos has, the serve. Vasek is decent at a lot of stuff, actually really good compared to the average player at a lot of stuff, above average serve, above average forehand, above average net game, but Milos has a bombing serve, that wins him a lot of matches because he almost never gets broken.

If Vasek had Milos' head he'd be top 20 no question. He has the game to be there but he constantly blows it mentally. That's what he needs most improving in.

Even with his current mental state he should be higher than where he is, he was injured for like 3 months, and 3 months after that his confidence was in the negatives, he would have been better had he had amnesia and completely forgotten everything about his tennis career. Even if he continues to play like he has lately, playing decent, but mix in some mental lapses he'd be top 30 imo, 6 months of nothing results will kill you.
Another thing I noticed why is Vasek a slow starter? Vasek losses he always is losing the first set then he fights back wins the second and somehow blows the third. Raonic has a big serve BUT his return and movement are poor. I think Vasek movement for a tall man is awesome and he also has excellent net skills and a solid backhand and forehand. Vasek does have weapons maybe not as explosive as Raonic. But the MENTALITY is a huge one, Vasek seems to NICE to me, he seems AFRAID of wanting MORE out of his career. The guy should be top 20 by now fighting to get into the top 10. I think Frederick Fontang should be FIRED! Vasek needs someone who will kick his butt and make him work hard on and off the court. Vasek seems to happy go lucky he doesn't seem to have big goals or aspirations for his career. Is this guy happy being Milos Raonic number two bitch? Is Vasek happy being Milos SHADOW?

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
The main things keeping him from reaching his potential (top 10-20) are his mind and his health. He routinely doesn't play well under pressure and he can't seem to play a full healthy season. Both are difficult things to change, but with more experience and understanding about how to compete on tour, he may be able to in time.

I also think with his athleticism and touch at the net that he should attack the net more than he does (rather than just being the attacking baseline player he currently is).

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Agree with others here. He needs better fitness and could certainly be more clutch. Any way he can get that vital consistency. He played well yesterday for two sets but went away in the 3rd, against an opponent fresh off the final in the previous tournament. He ought to be the stronger in such cases.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Tennis Canada I am sure can help Vasek by paying or supplementing money for him find a psychologist and a fitness trainer. Now is the time for Vasek to hire a fitness trainer who can travel with him on tour. Tennis Canada I am sure can pay someone to work with Vasek in terms of fitness. He also needs a sports psychologist too. Tomas Berdych admitted he sees a sports psychologist.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Vasek

Forehand - Great
Volleys - Great
Backhand - Good
Serve - Decent but for his height could improve
Return - Decent
Movement - Good
Fitness - Poor, needs improvement
Mental Strength - Poor, needs improvement

Milos

Forehand - Good when in control of the point, average to below average when behind
Volleys - Below average
Backhand - Poor
Serve - Outstanding
Return - Poor, backhand is atrocious
Movement - Terrible, plus he's only slightly taller than Vasek
Fitness - Never needs to exert himself too much so it is not tested but he has remained durable the last couple years
Mental Strength - Great

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Vasek

Forehand - Great
Volleys - Great
Backhand - Good
Serve - Decent but for his height could improve
Return - Decent
Movement - Good
Fitness - Poor, needs improvement
Mental Strength - Poor, needs improvement

Milos

Forehand - Good when in control of the point, average to below average when behind
Volleys - Below average
Backhand - Poor
Serve - Outstanding
Return - Poor, backhand is atrocious
Movement - Terrible, plus he's only slightly taller than Vasek
Fitness - Never needs to exert himself too much so it is not tested but he has remained durable the last couple years
Mental Strength - Great
Most of your list is correct about Milos and Vasek except Milos volleys are improving. Milos movement is improving too although it is true he is not the quickest on the court.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Vasek needs to improve his return of serve and his mental game. He is right down near the bottom of the return of serve stats (ranked 61st for return points won, two places below Raonic ffs).

When he is playing well he can compete with the better players, but he just can't seem to overcome lost opportunities in matches.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tennis Canada I am sure can help Vasek by paying or supplementing money for him find a psychologist and a fitness trainer. Now is the time for Vasek to hire a fitness trainer who can travel with him on tour. Tennis Canada I am sure can pay someone to work with Vasek in terms of fitness. He also needs a sports psychologist too. Tomas Berdych admitted he sees a sports psychologist.
Why should Tennis Canada pay for that? Vasek has earned almost $1.8 million in winnings so far, and is getting more on top of that from sponsors. Let Asics pay for it -- the whole purpose of their sponsorship is to get their name and logo in front of the cameras...

I would much rather see Tennis Canada putting that money towards supporting young up-and-coming players who have not already made $500,000 this year.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Why should Tennis Canada pay for that? Vasek has earned almost $1.8 million in winnings so far, and is getting more on top of that from sponsors. Let Asics pay for it -- the whole purpose of their sponsorship is to get their name and logo in front of the cameras...

I would much rather see Tennis Canada putting that money towards supporting young up-and-coming players who have not already made $500,000 this year.
Okay, I see your point but Vasek isn't "rich" yet. Vasek is just starting to make money since he is a promising Canadian I think Tennis Canada should help him he isn't making the kind of dough Milos is making.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts