Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a bashing thread to say how awful its been , just wanted you oppinion on it

so far there have been alot of blow out matches, alot of come from behind victories, alot of retirements and withdrawls. There have also been alot of upsets on both sides and wth the ferrer match today we could have 3 of the top 10 seeds out after just the 2nd round for both men and women.

i personally think its a bit of a mess but not because of the upsets because of all the withdrawls and retirements

its also maybe a little boring because so far there has only been 1 match (juan v.s monfils)yesterday that was really exciting

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Re: WHat do you think of this US Open so far?

Karlovic-Gasquet was exciting too (as most Karlovic's matches).
Liked to see Bubka for the 1st time and see his huge serve on display.
Nothing else really.

Oh forget Isner-Baghdatis, was quite a good one too.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

No complaints from me!
Both of my favs still there, and already some very exciting matches (at least to me):

- Monfils - Ferrero :worship:
- Karlovic - Gasquet
- Isner - Baghdatis

The negative part: Söderling withdrawing. :( :sad:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Shit. I attribute this to the blue clay that the organisers are forcing the players to play on so they can achieve their dream of another fraudulent Nadull 'success'.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts

The tournament has been fun so far, both men's and women's. But, and it's a huge but, the night session is completely getting destroyed by really poor scheduling and isn't creating that buzz that we had just a couple years ago. This will be the 2nd consecutive year where the night will fall flat on its face.

Andy Roddick vs. Jack Sock is one of the worst decisions I've seen from the organizers.

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i agree with that one..the clash of the americans i get but..the roddick v.s russell match was ugly and the sock v.s roddick match doesnt promise to be any better. The mchale v.s kirilenko match will also probably be awful

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

So far, absolutely unremarkable in every way. Hoping it picks up.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts

this would've been the perfect night for Murray to get the spotlight, especially with a very competent opponent in Haase.

Or even Blake vs. Ferrer.

it's like they don't even watch the tennis, roddick should be on a side court with doubles after that display against russell.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts

this would've been the perfect night for Murray to get the spotlight, especially with a very competent opponent in Haase.

Or even Blake vs. Ferrer.

it's like they don't even watch the tennis, roddick should be on a side court with doubles after that display against russell.
Well said, he doesn't deserve Arthur Ashe, let alone night sessions.
I didn't like that they put Karlovic-Gasquet and Ljubo-Nalby on court 11 and 13, showing no respect at all.

What about the two shotmakers Gulbis and Muller on court 7? :eek:

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

I think the big disappointments so far has been the high number of withdrawals but also the lack of interesting matches on Ashe Stadium.And here the organisers have to look into this:it`s true that Djokovic is nr.1 seed but getting a night session draw against Berlocq is certainly not worthy.People wanna see tough 5 setters during the evening session but certainly on paper Djokovic-Berlocq was never going to be a long one.There have been like 5 matches yesterday on center court and barely one was longer then 1 hour.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Well, there's been a lot of retirements and a lack of competitive matches myself but it's usually like this in the first week if you're watching the top players. I'm sure it'll improve as it goes on.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

I think the big disappointments so far has been the high number of withdrawals but also the lack of interesting matches on Ashe Stadium.And here the organisers have to look into this:it`s true that Djokovic is nr.1 seed but getting a night session draw against Berlocq is certainly not worthy.People wanna see tough 5 setters during the evening session but certainly on paper Djokovic-Berlocq was never going to be a long one.There have been like 5 matches yesterday on center court and barely one was longer then 1 hour.
Grand Slam organisers need to wake up. Of course they need to put the big guns on the biggest courts, but c'mon, give the crowd a decent match. Do what Wimbledon did a few years back with Cilic and Querrey and put two decent names who you know will play a good competitive match. Of course they think if they put someone other than the big 4 on Ashe no one will rock up, maybe they're right, but these absolute walkovers are very, very boring.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

No complaints from me!
Both of my favs still there, and already some very exciting matches (at least to me):

- Monfils - Ferrero :worship:
- Karlovic - Gasquet
- Isner - Baghdatis

The negative part: Söderling withdrawing. :( :sad:
completely agree with you

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

Grand Slam organisers need to wake up. Of course they need to put the big guns on the biggest courts, but c'mon, give the crowd a decent match. Do what Wimbledon did a few years back with Cilic and Querrey and put two decent names who you know will play a good competitive match. Of course they think if they put someone other than the big 4 on Ashe no one will rock up, maybe they're right, but these absolute walkovers are very, very boring.
U are completely right.For example yesterday they could have easily put Federer/Sela and Djokovic/Berlocq matches on Armstrong stadium.It was obvious before these matches started they won`t be competitive.And Monfils/Ferrero looked on paper an interesting match and it proved a cracker and it deserved a night session.With Monfils or Tsonga on center court and a good opponent u know the stadium will be pretty full

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

Yep, I don't see why they should be restricted to one court. I mean obviously you're not going to put them on an outside court but Armstrong’s a great venue, holds what, 12k or so, one match there in a tournament wouldn't be so disrespectful. Sometimes I wish they'd think more about what could be a great spectacle rather than just focus on the names.

I get it was because of rain, but 2008 Nadal/Murray SF was on Armstrong, don't see how putting a 2nd round match with one of the top guys would be so bad.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Very typical of America to only focus on the big names and give no regard to the quality of matches in scheduling.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Very typical of America to only focus on the big names and give no regard to the quality of matches in scheduling.
I don't know whether it's so much 'typical of America' to do that.
Most, if not all, tournaments focus on the 'big names' to be put on center court at prime time - even when those matches in most cases end up being a lopsided blow-out. A pity for the genuine tennis fans around, yes.

That said, why has-beens like Roddick and Blake get all of the attention - there can indeed be only one reason. But nationalism is very virulent, alas, and perhaps it indeed is even worse with the US organizers.

·
Super Moderator
18,670 Posts

Scheduling takes into account that the vast majority of US Open spectators are ignorant about tennis and want to see names they recognize - which I can assure you having attended the Open for the last eight years is a very small minority. This isn't the French Open - many people come to the US Open to socialize and know less about tennis than many of the worst trolls on these boards. As for nationalism, the decision to put American has beens on center court is simply the way they are trying to grow the game in the US because apart from the Wimbledon final no one pays attention to tennis in the US besides these two weeks.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts