Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago I honestly thought we would barely see any tennis anymore this season, let alone a Grand Slam tournament. Also with the USA being so affected by the virus, I was not optimistic about any event being hold in the States. Still, the US Open took place and now with only the men's final left to be played, what do you think of it? Did it deliver for you or you had higher expectations from it?

The most disappointing stuff was Djokovic being defaulted because of an unfortunate incident, but here I'm also obviously subjective because I'm a fan. Still I'm sure it affected the overall quality of the later stages of the tournament, but some were not satisfied by it happening, some surely were, either people who dislike him or people who wanted to see someone new winning the title. I expected more in terms of tennis quality throughout the two weeks, probably the most entertaining match being PCB vs Shapovalov (which I failed to watch until the end), and also Thiem vs Medvedev was a bit anticlimactic for not going the distance, but with Nadal, Federer, Wawrinka, Del Potro all missing, I guess the bar wasn't set that high anyway.

To be honest I think that the women's event delivered more in terms of quality of the matches and overall was an enjoyable event, especially with many top players not going (Barty, Halep, Svitolina, Andreescu, Bertens).
Probably normally I would say the US Open was kind of a letdown, but under these special circumstances, I'm pleased with the way the tournament was organised, I'm glad USTA managed to give us, tennis fans, the joy of watching Grand Slam tennis with all the problems and hopefully Thiem and Zverev saved the best for last 馃榿

Reactions: skytennis

Registered
Great that it could be held, but man, fans are missed...

just not the same.

Registered
Mediocre event that should not have taken place.

It was nevertheless nice to see some Grand Slam tennis.

Registered
Having a separate entrance for the players and ATP/USTA staff + filling the stadiums with 1/4 of max capacity spectators. This would have allowed social distancing, keeping crowd and players/staff separated, and a much better atmosphere.

It was very unfortunate that Novak was DQ. The organizers should be ashamed...but justice will have the last laugh.

Registered
Quality of tennis was a touch too poor.

Good to see no outbreaks though.
Let's see how europe turns out

Registered
Better than nothing.

I thought Cincy was a better tournament with higher quality overall and of course the amazing automatic line judge system. I am not totally sure players were ready for best of 5 sets matches yet.

Registered
Success. Great and fair administration of the event. I am glad USTA took the bold and first step in getting the sport back on track.

One blip though, Djokovic's misbehavior.

Reactions: guitarra

Registered
glad to see a new major champ.

some good excitement in middle of tourney

pospisil - bautista agut
de minaur - khachanov
shapo - fritz
coric - tsitsipas

carreno busta - shapo in qtrs

King Of Tennis
I don't think I have ever seen a more poorly run event with such corrupt officials in my lifetime. The fact they have the audacity to call themselves a slam is a fucking joke. They deserve this buzzkill of a final - they did it to themselves.

Registered
It's hard to say it should not have happened because I watched some first week matches, but it really should not have happened. Smaller events that didn't force people into terrible choices would have been better. The draws were missing way too much on both sides. At least the USTA gave the players a union in responce to actions they took, maybe worthwhile. Some poor players got a nice paycheck as well.

Registered
Decent slam. Better than the AO for sure.

Registered
Decent slam. Better than the AO for sure.
How do you evaluate that? AO definitely had much more exciting matches, Thiem-Nadal, Thiem-Djokovic, Fognini-Sandgren, Cilic-RBA, Federer-Millman, Wawrinka-Medvedev, Kyrgios-Khachanov, Kyrgios-Nadal...... Most of these matches were better than the best match this USO, and even the patchier ones made up with drama.

Reactions: BodyServe

Registered
Way better matches honestly...and I like it without a crowd...the crowd is honestly just horrible in the US Open...

Registered
How do you evaluate that? AO definitely had much more exciting matches, Thiem-Nadal, Thiem-Djokovic, Fognini-Sandgren, Cilic-RBA, Federer-Millman, Wawrinka-Medvedev, Kyrgios-Khachanov, Kyrgios-Nadal...... Most of these matches were better than the best match this USO, and even the patchier ones made up with drama.
USO had lots of excellent matches. Personally, AO had Fed go down with a knee injury, so it's a sad slam for me.

Reactions: raysun68

Registered
USO had lots of excellent matches. Personally, AO had Fed go down with a knee injury, so it's a sad slam for me.
Okay, that鈥檚 a fair point, I know how bad it feels to see a player you like get injured. I obviously missed more of the USO due to time zone, but still standout matches seem a bit scarce and it feels like something鈥檚 missing even in good matches without the audience.

Premium Member
It was great, 9/10 only thing missing is people cheering for Thiem when he raises the trophy tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts