Votes: 54 64.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 7 8.3%
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do people have the right to judge about other people's life?
In fact people also judge about other people's life by sending them to jail. That is just necessary in a society not being the Wild West.

And I don't see that as a punishment but just as a needfulness to provide crime and protect the majority.

I don't think that a state has the right to kill people!

It's also the wrong signal because it shows that there is a legitimation for killing.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Take a look at the inflated suicide figures for people in prisons, and this is despite constant supervision. Death is the easy way out, leave the worst of the worst to rot in prison for the rest of their natural lives.

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts
Only when the justice system has proven w/o reasonable doubt.

Then, yes, I support the death penalty.

Why waste tax dollars from innocent citizens to feed and house a convict who deserves the death penalty?

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
If wasting tax money is a concern: there have been several reports stating that the entire procedure leading up the death penalty + the actual execution is more expensive for the tax payer than putting somebody away for life.

Example of such a report: California Cost Study 2011

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Makes no sense why it is used as widely as it is. There is the possibility of executing someone who is innocent and as the poster above points out in many cases the whole process costs more than just letting them rot in jail because of the very lengthy appeal process. Perhaps there are legitimate arguments for using it for the worst of crimes such as war crimes but then again in some cases you run the risk that they will be seen as martyrs.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Only when the justice system has proven w/o reasonable doubt.

Then, yes, I support the death penalty.

Why waste tax dollars from innocent citizens to feed and house a convict who deserves the death penalty?
As Castafiore said, executing someone is actually more expensive than life sentence.

And secondly, if money is a concern, I fail to see how killing the person is the best solution. I propose making the prisoners work until they pay for their expenses at the very least.

Death penalty is a barbarity. And the Troy Davis case is a legalised crime.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
One of the few things that the Catholic Church's position nails. That it should never be used when there is the required means to keep the prisoner barred from society to keep it safe. If there is not the means to keep the prisoner from society and they can still be dangerous, only then is the death penalty justified.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
should have been abolished worldwide cause the only purpose it serves is retribution or revenge.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
against

i used to be a strong abolitionist back in my teens. i even wrote a long essay about it and exposed it in front of several of my teachers.

nowadays i think i can comprehend the feeling behind it though and i think that, given the circumstances, i could definitely kill a man and feel little remorse afterwards if i feel that he deserved it. nevertheless, state murder is something else entirely and i will never support it.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
As Castafiore said, executing someone is actually more expensive than life sentence.

And secondly, if money is a concern, I fail to see how killing the person is the best solution. I propose making the prisoners work until they pay for their expenses at the very least.
this is something very important that often gets overlooked.

when we take money into account for determining the validity of the death penality (as many do), we're actually putting a price to human life. would anybody want to live in such a society?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The only questions surrounding the Troy Davis case is why there has been no federal investigation into these "activists" giving bribes and convincing many of these black witnesses (not all) to back up on their testimony after 17-22 years of no one changing their story.

The death penalty is flawed, but only because of it's constantly delayed enforcement, not because of it's use itself. Troy Davis should have been executed 20 years ago. The endless appeals and stays are just a huge red flag about how screwed up the justice system is. Starting with the jury system itself.

·
29,637 Posts
Against and Troy Davis is a reason for this.

To be fair to the US at least they do it behind closed doors. Countries like Iran and Saudi carry out public stonings and beheadings and the crowd celebrate as their bloodthirsty desires are fulfilled. This shit is wrong on so many levels.

If they're gonna do that, do it in a prison cell.

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts

Death penalty is a barbarity. And the Troy Davis case is a legalised crime.
If it is more expensive the electric chair or lethal injection, then your idea of making prisoners work makes sense.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
One of the few things that the Catholic Church's position nails. That it should never be used when there is the required means to keep the prisoner barred from society to keep it safe. If there is not the means to keep the prisoner from society and they can still be dangerous, only then is the death penalty justified.
should have been abolished worldwide cause the only purpose it serves is retribution or revenge.
These mutually supportive statements are obviously true, since I don't think there is a single state that applies death penalty that couldn't keep the prisoner locked for life if they put some effort into it.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
The fact that the state can make the decision to take away the life of its own citizens slightly disturbs me. This along with a lot of other reasons make me against the death penalty. It is an utterly barbaric way to dish our revenge. Besides you can make someone just rot in jail repenting their mistakes.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
Perhaps it is a little harsh... punished by death.

A solution would be to force those convicted to read each and every post by Clay Death on MTF. Sure, it might be considered cruel and unusual punishment by most of the population, but it is still somewhat more humane than an actual death sentence.

Death penalty 2.0

Reactions: star and Pirata.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Barbaric. Enough said.

Even more barbaric is the fact that there are only two countries in the world that have not ratified the Convention_on_the_Rights_of_the_Child, which prohibits capital punishment on youngsters.

Guess which two countries.
Somalia.... and the USA.

Be ashamed of yourselves.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Bring back the guillotine. Painless, quick, efficient, revolutionary terror is not only justified, it is necessary. However since the American state is criminal of course I oppose the "death penalty" within that context.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts